Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/post..._120679555
They have changed there api alot of people very unhappy. Also affects samsung smart tv's.
How does it affect Samsung tv's?

The BBC responses to users' complaints are typical corporate gobbledygook - all symptoms of suits justifying their existence by 'managing change'.
It says in the comments of the link i posted that they also use the same rss feeds that are no longer supported. Dont know if its correct or not check the link
As far as I can see, Samsung smart iplayer is still working okay.
Thats good dont have one so cant test. Im going to keep an eye on this and the bbc thread i posted. Hopefully there will be a fix soon.
Quote:In particular, the BBC does not sanction XBMC, get_iplayer or similar clients, and the iPlayer RSS feeds were never designed or intended to support them. Nitro will almost certainly not support their ways of working. We realise this comes as unwelcome news to users of these clients. The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access to iPlayer across a wide range of platforms and devices.

... nice eh.
Yeah i read that horse crap. But they just stopped the service. No warning no overlap shoddy practice if u ask me.
Yep.

Well please do send in your complaints to them. Some good points have been made from users on that thread - I have a feeling the BBC will not listen - depends on how many people complain to them of course. I usually laugh when watching how they deal with complaints (on things like newswatch). They basically never admit any fault.

Maybe it should be posted around on some tech news sites (the register / slashdot etc). At least it would give them some bad press (and someone might listen ?)

and upvote http://www.reddit.com/r/xbmc/comments/2k...he_end_to/
Sounds like a good idea. I bet they wont mention it on the tech show click for a kick off. Ha
(2014-10-31, 02:56)dlake02 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-31, 01:20)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-10-29, 16:27)dlake02 Wrote: [ -> ]No longer working for me

As of a few hours ago....

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/feeds

This has nuked get_iplayer as well.

The Beeb was the only thing keeping us sane in this awful country (let you guess where).

Son is going to be very upset he can't watch CBBC any more - endless violent and banal cartoons with ceaseless adverts for stuff no-one needs, here we come :-(

get_iplayer is still working for me. I am using it on Lubuntu 14.04. I was using it tonight and downloaded 8 different programmes. From the command line I am running this command...

Code:
get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04n62lf/eastenders-28102014 --tvmode=flashhd,flashvhigh, --force

That address will download Eastenders. Simply replace it by copying the address of your desired programme from the iPlayer website in your browser and paste in place of my example address.

As an alternative to the iPlayer addon. You could use Plex. Setup a Plex Media Server on your PC and then install the PlexBMC addon in XBMC. You can now install the BBC iPlayer Channel on your Plex Media Server and access it from the PlexBMC addon. It works a treat on all 3 of my Raspberry Pi HTPCs, all 3 running Gotham 13.2 on OpenELEC 4.2.1. This also works perfectly in Gotham on my PC.

The media is still there - the issue is that Auntie have locked down the method of getting information out.

So yes, you can still get the content, but finding it is a major PITA.

D

How is going to the iPlayer website and copying the address of your desired programme and pasting it into a single line command a PITA?
(2014-11-01, 03:27)exobuzz Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:In particular, the BBC does not sanction XBMC, get_iplayer or similar clients, and the iPlayer RSS feeds were never designed or intended to support them. Nitro will almost certainly not support their ways of working. We realise this comes as unwelcome news to users of these clients. The iPlayer team continues to work hard to maximise access to iPlayer across a wide range of platforms and devices.

... nice eh.

Indeed, i wonder why it really matters how the iPlayer is accessed? especially given its still IP locked to the UK anyway.

I have made my feelings know on the blog article here and asked for a reason why: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/post...atform-API i suggest others do the same.
Oh and BTW there is a new BBC iPlayer addon in the .xunity/xfinity repo. It doesn't have the functionality of the old one yet but it does at least work. Personally I am going to stick with the Plex one.

(2014-11-01, 15:59)InsaneNutter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-01, 03:27)exobuzz Wrote: [ -> ]

... nice eh.

Indeed, i wonder why it really matters how the iPlayer is accessed? especially given its still IP locked to the UK anyway.

I have made my feelings know on the blog article here and asked for a reason why: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/post...atform-API i suggest others do the same.

I don't see the point of getting all uppity with the BBC. The fact you cannot access their content with a 3rd party app is not their concern. As the law stands you only have to have a TV licence operate a broadcast (or simulcast) receiver, regardless of the content provider. If you are solely watching on demand service such as the iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player or Demand 5 you do not legally require a licence. So even though you have paid for a TV licence you are not paying for the privilege of watching the iPlayer. So you have paid the princely sum of nothing to watch this content, which means you are not their customer and they have no duty of care towards you. Even if they did, the licence is only to allow you to operate the receiver, viewing the broadcast is irrelevant as it is provided FOC.

The BBC model as we know it will not survive much longer, it is unsustainable. A change of legislation is required as the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1949 is now obsolete.
(2014-11-01, 16:28)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh and BTW there is a new BBC iPlayer addon in the .xunity/xfinity repo. It doesn't have the functionality of the old one yet but it does at least work. Personally I am going to stick with the Plex one.

(2014-11-01, 15:59)InsaneNutter Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-01, 03:27)exobuzz Wrote: [ -> ]... nice eh.

I don't see the point of getting all uppity with the BBC. The fact you cannot access their content with a 3rd party app is not their concern. As the law stands you only have to have a TV licence operate a broadcast (or simulcast) receiver, regardless of the content provider. If you are solely watching on demand service such as the iPlayer, 4oD, ITV Player or Demand 5 you do not legally require a licence. So even though you have paid for a TV licence you are not paying for the privilege of watching the iPlayer. So you have paid the princely sum of nothing to watch this content, which means you are not their customer and they have no duty of care towards you. Even if they did, the licence is only to allow you to operate the receiver, viewing the broadcast is irrelevant as it is provided FOC.

The BBC model as we know it will not survive much longer, it is unsustainable. A change of legislation is required as the Wireless and Telegraphy Act 1949 is now obsolete.

The BBC model has to be sustainable ! The alternatives are too horrible to contemplate - what woud happen to Radio 3, Radio 4, unbiased news, BBC 4 and possibly even BBC 2 if we moved to a US-style funding system ? The state of the media in the US, as those of us who live there know, is utterly dire and a detriment to society. Look at what has happened in other European countries - they are moving away from the advertising-funded model more towards a BBC model. Imagine if EVERY 5 minutes there was an advertising break on EVERY radio and TV channel; there was rampant product placement, politicial influence over which story aried on the news. Imagine if the "Nightly News" consisted of reporting on local shootings, local sports, local weather (and I mean VERY local), no poltical commentary, no interviews with politicians (because the advertisers don't like confrontation and they are needed to fund the station) for an hour every night ! Last night, I counted 2 minutes of news on both KTVU and KRON-4's hourly nightly news that did NOT relate to the immediate 40+ mile radius area.

The alternative is PBS which is dry, dusty, old-fashioned and under-funded. It too is supported by donations, pledges, adverts that appear every few minutes. The morning news on the radio repeats every 60 minutes - it consists of some reportage but certainly no drilling of politicians, no debate, no confrontation. The Paxman/Naughtie/Brian Redhead style of interviewing would have no place here becuase there is no forum for them to operate in.

As I've said before, it's not until you live in a country that DOESN'T have a strong media such as the US that you realise what a good deal the BBC the is both as an entertainer and an informer.

Where I do agree with you is that moaning at Auntie is no good - it's not THEIR fault. It's the greedy production houses (mostly multinationals these days) that insist on strong control of the content they sell. Look at the ultimate ownership of the major production houses - Endemol; a NY pirvate capital company, Freemantle, a privately held German multinational group. Shine, Fox. NBC Universal, major US multinational. Originally, these were ALL small, independent production houses for the Beeb and have been swallowed up by companies intersted in money alone.

The BBC is great, and I would gladly pay much, much more in my licence fee (yes, I do pay a licence fee for the UK).
The BBC licence fee has to be one of the best deals going. £145 for all that content is just amazing. All them TV channels plus all the radio stations for all sorts of music/shows. You just can't beat it for value for money. My only issue I have with the BBC licence fee is the fact that I MUST have one if I wish to watch anything from other LIVE TV providers here in the UK, IE: Sky or ITV or Channel 4/5. The BBC is at that point getting paid for somebody else work/content. The fact that I must have a BBC licence to watch ITV really REALLY pisses me off.

But that's not what this thread is about. Sorry for that rant.
The BBC's remit is up for review in 2015 AFAIK. The problem is that the licence fee is bringing in less and less revenue as people move over to internet based services. From what I understand the best model on the cards at the moment is for the licence fee to be scrapped. Then BBC News, BBC Radio, Local Radio and the World Service be directly funded by the government. Then all entertainment services and online services will be commercially funded and operated by the BBC's commercial arms. The best of both worlds.