Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] iPlayer - BBC Video and Music Plugin (UK only!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(2014-11-01, 20:13)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]. Then BBC News, BBC Radio, Local Radio and the World Service be directly funded by the government. Then all entertainment services and online services will be commercially funded and operated by the BBC's commercial arms. The best of both worlds.

Or, the worst of both worlds ... Govt controls the news, and Corporates control the entertainment and online material.

Sounds awful to me.
The corporates control everything anyway no (including government) ? Smile

But certainly I don't consider the BBC unbiased - always good to get your news from multiple unrelated sources. I often feel there is a lot of bias / and even dishonesty in things like Panorama etc too.

I'm not sure the BBC is worth the licence fee any more - but I watch very little - a couple of panel shows like Have I got news for you, and a bit of news (and the occasional one off drama if I notice one). Unfortunately most of TV these days is reality tv, or now even fake/scripted reality tv....

oops. going off topic here Smile
I hope it's okay for me to mention this here, I don't want to tread on any toes, but...

I searched for xunitytalk repo, installed the zip, then the BBC iPlayer by Mikey1234 works fine. He's released it in the past day or two as a result of the BBC's changes, I've emailed Aunty to tell them what I think to their changes but thank goodness for all the talented developers we have on the XBMC platform.
(2014-11-01, 20:20)castalla Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-01, 20:13)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]. Then BBC News, BBC Radio, Local Radio and the World Service be directly funded by the government. Then all entertainment services and online services will be commercially funded and operated by the BBC's commercial arms. The best of both worlds.

Or, the worst of both worlds ... Govt controls the news, and Corporates control the entertainment and online material.

Sounds awful to me.

The Government technically control the news now then. The corporates control online media as well, now. How does this in reality change anything? What it does do is remove a whole level of enforcement in the UK and allows people not to be taxed on watching TV. At the moment if you watch TV in the UK without paying you are a criminal. How is that right?
That new iPlayer addon has a preset proxy that bypasses geoblock and stream quality options, which is already more features than what the previous addon had. Cool
Thanks exobuzz, hitcher and everyone that contributed to the addon. Especially exobuzz for maintaing it for 4 years!
the only show that I really watch is eastenders and I did not know what to do

thanks also to speedwell68, I did not know mickey123 made it work, you developers are so amazing and also the community!!!
(2014-11-01, 21:48)torenvalk Wrote: [ -> ]That new iPlayer addon has a preset proxy that bypasses geoblock and stream quality options, which is already more features than what the previous addon had. Cool

Yes, but none of it is in 720p and for that reason I will stick with the Plex option. Also for anyone that wants to watch the BBC channels live I have recently discovered the MX BBC Player, which is quite good.
(2014-11-01, 21:35)laptopu Wrote: [ -> ]I hope it's okay for me to mention this here, I don't want to tread on any toes, but...

I searched for xunitytalk repo, installed the zip, then the BBC iPlayer by Mikey1234 works fine. He's released it in the past day or two as a result of the BBC's changes, I've emailed Aunty to tell them what I think to their changes but thank goodness for all the talented developers we have on the XBMC platform.

I have no desire to add xunity repo. Can you make available the zip of the BBC addon? Should be under your addons/packages directory.
(2014-11-01, 21:46)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-01, 20:20)castalla Wrote: [ -> ]

Sounds awful to me.

The Government technically control the news now then. The corporates control online media as well, now. How does this in reality change anything? What it does do is remove a whole level of enforcement in the UK and allows people not to be taxed on watching TV. At the moment if you watch TV in the UK without paying you are a criminal. How is that right?

I think you may have eaten too much Daily Mail....

The UK Government does NOT control the news - the BBC is as impartial a new broadcaster as it is possible to get
. Maybe you should watch Fox ?

And who wants adverts Huh? That is the way it would go with only dumbed-down game shows.

Seriously - go and live in the Truman Show for a while (that's the US of A) and you'll soon see what the "commerical" world delivers for ALL parts of society.

The funding model is broken because the present government have tampered with it. £145 is a superb deal - much better than adverts, sponsorship or the begging that other broadcasters rely on.
I agree that the current licence fee is a terrific bargain. We were able to watch decent advert-less tv all this evening while the commercial channels just had a mindless compilation of pap interspersed with adverts ad nauseam.

Beats me why people shell out 50 squids a month to SKY to watch the same old movies, etc. On the other hand, Sky has used its financial muscle to hoover up lots of content - parasites.
(2014-11-01, 01:28)agentp45 Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/post..._120679555
They have changed there api alot of people very unhappy. Also affects samsung smart tv's.

I can't see this taking long to fix in the plugin:

http://ibl.api.bbci.co.uk/ibl/v1/categor...ap7gzts9y6
http://ibl.api.bbci.co.uk/ibl/v1/home/hi...ap7gzts9y6
http://ibl.api.bbci.co.uk//ibl/v1/episod...ap7gzts9y6
http://data.bbc.co.uk/search-suggest/sug...ap7gzts9y6
Yes, but, where did that API key come from? Big Grin

The Nitro API registration is currently available only to BBC employees.

Sure, someone could use that key to rewrite the part of plugin to grab metadata from Nitro, but if the key is revoked, we're back to square one. Sad
(2014-11-02, 03:27)zuccster Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but, where did that API key come from? Big Grin

Sure, someone could use that key to rewrite the part of plugin to grab metadata from Nitro, but if the key is revoked, we're back to square one. Sad

Interesting what running a packet sniffer on Android whilst running the official iPlayer App will reveal when analysed. Big Grin
Fixing that will probably be a major rewrite.

We could just do with an areas to change the API key in the plugin, I think we will be able to request an API key from the BBC in the future anyway.
(2014-11-01, 22:58)speedwell68 Wrote: [ -> ]but none of it is in 720p and for that reason I will stick with the Plex option.

I'm getting 720p (3200kbps) streams on every program you would expect to have them.

(2014-11-01, 23:20)nickr Wrote: [ -> ]I have no desire to add xunity repo. Can you make available the zip of the BBC addon? Should be under your addons/packages directory.

You can just download the addon directly. It's quite good for such a fast release but expect bugs and it will probably be superseded in a matter of days.
(2014-11-02, 12:49)darkreign Wrote: [ -> ]
(2014-11-02, 03:27)zuccster Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, but, where did that API key come from? Big Grin

Interesting what running a packet sniffer on Android whilst running the official iPlayer App will reveal when analysed. Big Grin
Fixing that will probably be a major rewrite.

We could just do with an areas to change the API key in the plugin, I think we will be able to request an API key from the BBC in the future anyway.

Anyone interested in the above here's a link to the BBC Nitro Client Guide. https://developer.bbc.co.uk/sites/defaul...lients.pdf