Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help with OrigenAE S14V - VFD221 (VFD-desplay / IR-reciever)?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, I have installed XBMC-Live on my new HTPC case, but am struggling with the VFD screen/IR.

I cannot find a solution to support this in Linux, I know it is possible, but how??
From what I understand it doesn't work with Lirc but only Irtrans...

I have search Google, XBMC forums & ubunutu forums with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me??

Kind regards, Steve
ahem... i have a similar vfd/ir receiver, the one in ahanix mce303 case, and could make it work just by installing irtrans linux software and lcdproc from cvs, as it contains the irtrans driver... don't install lcdproc with aptitude, as the version in ubuntu repositories doesn't contain the irtrans driver
that's all Smile
I've got the same case, and while it took a bit to get it going, it works fine in the end.

Roughly:
1. Install lirc - but then stop it from starting
2. Install irserver (used a version from the origenae site)
3. Install lcdproc (again from the origenae site, not sure but I might've needed to compile it)

Was a while ago since I got it running so if you need further info, let me know exactly where you are stuck and I'll have a look at my htpc and find out for you.
Hi thanks for your support!!

I have tried -

installing Lirc and disabling it from autostarting. Install the irserver software and the cvs version of LCDPROC.
After installing irserver I using 'irserver -codedump -debug_code -loglevel 4 /dev/ttyUSB0' I managed to see all key presses as expected.

My display still only says 'Welcome to HTPC' regardless on what XBMC is doing. However I do get an LED light up after every keypress on the remote, but this doesn't seem to be received into XBMC.

Is it possible I am missing something really simple?

Kind Regards, Steve
demosthenez Wrote:I've got the same case, and while it took a bit to get it going, it works fine in the end.

Roughly:
1. Install lirc - but then stop it from starting
2. Install irserver (used a version from the origenae site)
3. Install lcdproc (again from the origenae site, not sure but I might've needed to compile it)

Was a while ago since I got it running so if you need further info, let me know exactly where you are stuck and I'll have a look at my htpc and find out for you.

I thought that OrigenAE's site only had drivers for Windows tho? I'm thinking of buying this case, but I wanna know if it's fool-proof to change the LED text.
slacker666 Wrote:I thought that OrigenAE's site only had drivers for Windows tho? I'm thinking of buying this case, but I wanna know if it's fool-proof to change the LED text.

The Origen site does only have Windows drivers. So far I have almost got the IR working, I think I need to make some changes to a keymapping xml file. As for the VFD I am not having much luck. I know it can be done, so I will keep on trying.

Be sure, once I have figured it out I will post the process!
Ok, I now have the IR working!! Big Grin

But I still have no success with the VFD. Any more ideas anyoneHuh
did you start the LCDd daemon? does it show the default 'session/client' screen?
if not, you have to set it up and start it (and add it to the startup daemon)
after that you need to go to xbmc settings and set xbmc to send info to lcdproc (if i remember well it's under system/lcd)
myfrog Wrote:Ok, I now have the IR working!! Big Grin

But I still have no success with the VFD. Any more ideas anyoneHuh

could you describe in detail how you got it to work?
Sorry, my mistake, I used the drivers from the irtrans site.
Make sure you grab lcdproc from here:

http://www.irtrans.de/en/download/linux.php

How far are you getting with the VFD? Can you get lcdproc to run and have the VFD display "LCDproc Server. Clients: 0 Servers 0"?
slacker666 Wrote:could you describe in detail how you got it to work?

Sure, I mostly followed the guide found here - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=47241
Just a few minor changes

Firstly I discovered that the in-built USB hub wasn't working correctly(even in win xp), so I plugged the VF210 directly into the motherboard USB port.

Instructions for Remote -

Install wget
Code:
sudo apt-get install wget
Stop LIRC from starting
Code:
cd /etc/init.d
sudo lirc stop
sudo update-rc.d -f lirc remove
Prepare to install irserver
Code:
cd /home/xbmc/
mkdir irtrans-install
cd irtrans-install/
sudo wget http://www.irtrans.de/download/Server/Linux/irserver.tar.gz
sudo tar --gzip -xvf irserver.tar.gz

Install irserver

Code:
tr -d '^M' < install.sh > install.sh.tmp
mv install.sh.tmp install.sh
chmod +x install.sh
sudo ./install.sh

Create startup script

Code:
sudo nano /etc/init.d/irserver
paste
Code:
#! /bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
DAEMON=/usr/local/irtrans/irserver
NAME=irserver
DESC=irserver
DAEMON_OPTS="-daemon /dev/ttyUSB0"

set -e

case "$1" in
start)
echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
echo "$NAME."
;;
stop)
echo -n "Stopping $DESC: "
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid
echo "$NAME."
;;
restart|force-reload)
echo -n "Restarting $DESC: "
start-stop-daemon --stop --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid
sleep 1

echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/$NAME.pid --make-pidfile --exec $DAEMON -- $DAEMON_OPTS
echo "$NAME."
;;
*)
N=/etc/init.d/$NAME
echo "Usage: $N {start|stop|restart|reload|force-reload}" >&2
exit 1
;;
esac

exit 0
save file

Make the server auto-start
Code:
sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/irserver
sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/irserver /etc/rc2.d/S19irserver
You should now be able to see if the server is recieving inputs from your remote
Code:
sudo /usr/local/irtrans/irserver -loglevel 4 -codedump /dev/ttyUSB0
point remote at receiver and press keys. You should see results returned in your terminal screen. If not repeat this process again or maybe simply reboot and try again...

Delete remotes that thow errors in your test, this seems to be the main one, others have said remove all that you don't need.
This worked for me, JUST DON'T REMOVE 'mediacentre.rem'

Code:
sudo rm /usr/local/irtrans/remotes/ccf.rem

Edit Lircmap.xls for new 'mediacentre.rem' remote
Code:
sudo nano /usr/share/xbmc/system/Lircmap.xml
paste
Code:
<remote device="mediacenter">
<pause>pause</pause>
<stop>stop</stop>
<forward>fwd</forward>
<reverse>rew</reverse>
<left>left</left>
<right>right</right>
<up>up</up>
<down>down</down>
<select>ok</select>
<pageplus>ch+</pageplus>
<pageminus>ch-</pageminus>
<back>back</back>
<menu>clear</menu>
<title>play</title>
<info>info</info>
<skipplus>next</skipplus>
<skipminus>prev</skipminus>
<display>teletext</display>
<start>ehome</start>
<record>rec</record>
<volumeplus>vol+</volumeplus>
<volumeminus>vol-</volumeminus>
<mute>mute</mute>
<power>power</power>
<myvideo>video</myvideo>
<mymusic>music</mymusic>
<mypictures>pictures</mypictures>
<mytv>tv</mytv>
<one>1</one>
<two>2</two>
<three>3</three>
<four>4</four>
<five>5</five>
<six>6</six>
<seven>7</seven>
<eight>8</eight>
<nine>9</nine>
<zero>0</zero>
<mytv>red</mytv>
<mymusic>green</mymusic>
<mypictures>yellow</mypictures>
<myvideo>blue</myvideo>
</remote>
save file

Reboot
Code:
sudo reboot
When it has rebooted into XBMC your remote should work. If like mine it only manages about 5 keypresses at a time. It's a little sluggish, but it works!!! Smile

Now to get the VFD working...
demosthenez Wrote:Sorry, my mistake, I used the drivers from the irtrans site.
Make sure you grab lcdproc from here:

http://www.irtrans.de/en/download/linux.php

How far are you getting with the VFD? Can you get lcdproc to run and have the VFD display "LCDproc Server. Clients: 0 Servers 0"?

No, still no luck with the VFD... :confused2:

I will keep trying...!
succo Wrote:did you start the LCDd daemon? does it show the default 'session/client' screen?
if not, you have to set it up and start it (and add it to the startup daemon)
after that you need to go to xbmc settings and set xbmc to send info to lcdproc (if i remember well it's under system/lcd)

Hi Succo, Yes I added it to auto start. I don't understand what you mean regarding the default 'session/client' screen??
if LCDd is active you should see the default screen on the lcd, showing something like
Code:
## LCDProc Server ##
Cli: 0    Scr: 0
if you can't see that, then LCDd is not running and you can't output anything from xbmc

btw, did you edit LCDd.conf to load the correct driver for your display?
it's /etc/LCDd.conf and you need to set
Code:
Driver=irserver
be sure to have a cvs version of lcdproc, as irserver driver isn't included in the version you can find in ubuntu repos (at least it wasn't there last time i installed)
succo Wrote:if LCDd is active you should see the default screen on the lcd, showing something like
Code:
## LCDProc Server ##
Cli: 0    Scr: 0
if you can't see that, then LCDd is not running and you can't output anything from xbmc

btw, did you edit LCDd.conf to load the correct driver for your display?
it's /etc/LCDd.conf and you need to set
Code:
Driver=irserver
be sure to have a cvs version of lcdproc, as irserver driver isn't included in the version you can find in ubuntu repos (at least it wasn't there last time i installed)

Hi Succo,

My screen just has the message 'Welcome to HTPC'
How can I tell the status of LCDd?

LCDd.conf now has the correct driver, thanks! & I am using the CVS version of lcdproc.

I feel I must be so close, it must be something simple I am missing... Have you seen any walkthrough guides that I could compare to?
Pages: 1 2 3