Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live 9.04.1 released
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
sparkyhall Wrote:Still running 9.04 live here but I had issues with suspend/resume so I ended up editing "/usr/lib/pm-utils/bin/pm-action" to fix my issues. Although not the same I just thought this may help point you in the right direction.

Looking at "/var/log/pm-suspend.log" may help you diagnose your problems also.

Chris

Great, looks like the right place to look to.
Thanks for your hint!

Markus
OK, I did some research.

I did a manual "pm-suspend" on both installations.
The desktop installation suspends/awakes without any problems many times.

On my minimal setup "pm-suspend" shows the same effect like the acpi-support script sleep.sh. First time, it's ok. Up from then, it fails.

I compared kernel, nvidia drivers, pm-utils, acpi-support packages.
I checked into /etc/defaults etc.

So, right now I don't have any clue what else to do.
/var/log/pm_suspend.log shows nothing special, btw. It stops at the point where all scripts have been executed and the final s3 call is done.

Any further hints are appreciated
Markus
Is there any benefit to installing the XBMC Live to HDD? I have a super slow PC that would benefit from a minimal installation, but I installed the Live to disk and it just boots to the command prompt. I thought this was supposed to be like an appliance: install, turn on PC and boots straight into XBMC without a ton of command configuration that's a PITA to type in when the other computer is in the other room.

I originally installed Ubuntu 9.04 and then XBMC, but the CPU was pegged during most videos and 70% on others. It was very easy to install Ubuntu and XBMC that way, but no such luck with Live to hdd version. Should I be doing a different install? I plan to use this PC only for HTPC duties.
When you install XBMC Live from the repository on a desktop installation, it will take care of all stuff needed to boot directly into the application.

Performance-wise, if you have a really slow machine, it won't help too much. I don't think there is so much difference in performance. It might boot faster, but the app won't run faster. If there aren't any other processes occupying your CPU, you will gain nothing.

Markus
^^ That's what I figured. I'm looking for a cheap P4 motherboard since my p4p800-e mobo died a few years ago. Too bad b/c it was an awesome board.
Why stuck to P4?

Look for cheap IGP solutions like AMD (NVidia 8x00) or INTEL (NVidia 9x00), put on a cheap processor and you're done. Then, you are even prepared well for 1080p. Or go Atom+ION, doesn't cost too much and is doing a great job.

Or do I oversee any good reason?
mulder77de Wrote:Why stuck to P4?

Look for cheap IGP solutions like AMD (NVidia 8x00) or INTEL (NVidia 9x00), put on a cheap processor and you're done. Then, you are even prepared well for 1080p. Or go Atom+ION, doesn't cost too much and is doing a great job.

Or do I oversee any good reason?
I'd like to go ION+Atom, but I've got a complete P4 setup and something isn't working, nothing displays when it's turned on. I've tried another video card in the AGP slot and still didn't work. I tried the suspect AGP card in the old PC (P3 800) and it output fine, so either the board or maybe CPU are dead. I hope it's the CPU since they're cheaper and easier to find then a quality aftermarket board.

What's IGP? I ran a quick google search and found nothing.
IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor

So, the chipset includes a GPU. Going for 8x00 or 9x00 from NVidia will give you 1080p support.

Board and CPU (AMD) will cost you less than 150€, a good start would be 110€ for a AMD setup. Add a few bucks for memory. That's it.
So maybe think about that once again instead of buying old heating stuff like P4 equipment.
mulder77de Wrote:IGP = Integrated Graphics Processor

So, the chipset includes a GPU. Going for 8x00 or 9x00 from NVidia will give you 1080p support.

Board and CPU (AMD) will cost you less than 150€, a good start would be 110€ for a AMD setup. Add a few bucks for memory. That's it.
So maybe think about that once again instead of buying old heating stuff like P4 equipment.
Oh ok, I know what integrated video was, I just wasn't familiar with the acronym. I've still got an old 27" CRT TV at the moment, so no need for anything that plays HD content. I'd love to get something new, but it's just not in the budget. I've only set aside around $50USD for this little project due to medical bills sucking me dry. Stupid economy.
Hi, I'm trying to install xbmc live on a usb hd, from my gentoo linux notebook. Using the install script provided with xbmc live it tries to install video drivers (ati) for my notebook hw, but I want to use the usb disk on a nvidia pc, so I need nvidia drivers!

Is it possible to choose which kind of driver to install? thx
A question about the live version. I see most users update the video drivers first to 1.85. Someone even posted a rapidshare link to a version with those included. Wouldn't it be easier to release a newer version of the live disk? Or is there some sort of release schedule with only 1 release per month for the live disk?
is something down on sourceforge side or is it just me?
i am trying to donwload xbmclive clicking on the link from the first post and blank page comes up
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles..._id=680633
thx

EDIT:
well i found my copy here:
http://xbmc.org/download/

but the link on first post still points to nowhere
I'm running the latest version on an Aspire Revo. When I shut down XBMC the revo will not turn off. Is this normal and if so is there anything I can do to fix it?

Many Thanks

Dan
I was looking into building my own XBMC Live based off of updated ubuntu packages/ppas and saw that on Moblin's site they have now deprecated the MIC application and have moved on to MIC2. What's the plan regarding that? I'm asking because I don't want to go through the hassle of learning about MIC and then changing everything with MIC2. I'd rather just start with MIC2 if XBMC Live is going to move from MIC as well.

http://moblin.org/projects/moblin-image-creator
Hello,

I'm just trying to make XBMC live working on my little pc but I think that my Intel chipset isn't recognized by the installation: I've a deep black screen after the installation on HDD and also booting from CD :'(

Knowing that I'm really noob on XBMC (first installation) and I never used Linux before, could someone explain to me how to make it working? I'm sure it is, because it's loading, but it's black. And I don't understand a word when I'm reading the posts here explaining how to change some file or anything else.

Someone enough patient to help a noob? Thanks in advance Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5