Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [OLD] HOW-TO watch Live TV in XBMC for Linux with Tvheadend, the easy way!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you for the update andoma.
It seems to be a good piece of software and I'll keep my eye on it as it develops.
I'm glad to know it wasn't me that was causing the issues, as it doesn't quite yet support what I'm trying to use it for.
can any 1 reply to my post please. how are you doing that you have working hts ?
andoma Wrote:Hi

First of all Tvheadend has currently not support for DVB-S2 adapters.
They work using the old DVB-S API but muxes with modulation other than
QPSK will not work. This is one of the problems Smile

What would it take to do proper DVB-S2 support? Do you need a card? Shell access to a test machine? A couple of 48h days? Wink
i can give dvb-s2 computer access as well.
Hi before I go scrubbing my mythtv backend, does tvheadend support multiple cards??

I have done a fair bit of research, but havent found anything that says this outright..

Thanks

Si
sijones Wrote:Hi before I go scrubbing my mythtv backend, does tvheadend support multiple cards??

I have done a fair bit of research, but havent found anything that says this outright..

Thanks

Si

I am using 2 right now and plan to add a third this weekend (a really inexpensive one, btw! like 10€ with a remote and internal antenna that I will never use... I cannot believe how cheap this USB dongles are, and still work).

I've seen that there seems to be some internal option to add more "weight" to one or another to be used preferently, but right now tvheadend uses as many as you have linux support to in an "egalitarian" status. With 3 you could have up to 6 - 12 simultaneous clients watching different shows, since each card can process a different mux, and each mux usually has 2 - 4 channels.

It works incredibly well!! The only thing I miss is that I would like to be capable of force using the one with better antenna connection whenever is available instead of another one...
ukasz Wrote:i can't get it working. i am using hts 2.5 and xbmc 9.04.1. debian squeeze. all dependencies are met. xbmc always returns an error that it can not connect to the server. in hts log i can't see anything and in tcpdump no packets are transmited. in showtime i can connect but no channels etc. in hts logi can see that hts: got connection from....

i want to stream tv from one computer to another.

any idea what might be wrong ?

Probably there is a problem in the client, maybe you are using version of xbmc without support for the protocol htsp. If you are using a recent SVN build of XBMC (say, like less than one month old in linux/xbox or less than 2 weeks old in Windows XP) it works, I use those three daily.

Look for "svn build" in the forum for the platform you need.
sijones Wrote:Hi before I go scrubbing my mythtv backend, does tvheadend support multiple cards??

I have one card with two tuners and that works. And I think that is treated the same in Linux as two cards with one tuner each.
pko66 Wrote:Probably there is a problem in the client, maybe you are using version of xbmc without support for the protocol htsp. If you are using a recent SVN build of XBMC (say, like less than one month old in linux/xbox or less than 2 weeks old in Windows XP) it works, I use those three daily.

Look for "svn build" in the forum for the platform you need.

ty for the info. i will try as soon as i will have time for it. i have noticed that there is a newer changelog on hts trac
http://trac.lonelycoder.com/hts/browser/.../changelog
but there is no new version in download page. newest is 2.5
ukasz Wrote:ty for the info. i will try as soon as i will have time for it. i have noticed that there is a newer changelog on hts trac

Correct, 2.6 will be the next release and until it's finished i continue to just fill
the changelog. Perhaps i should not put 2.6 there until it's done...

Thanks

Si

Yes, I've tested Tvheadend with up to 4 DVB adapters.

At my setup at home I use this configuration:
  • DVB-C PCI card (SAA7146 based)
  • TerraTec Cinergy T^2 USB adapter
  • IPTV from Telia Sonera

Ie. two DVB adapters as well as IPTV.
well that was fairly painless..

It took me weeks to get myth working and it still doesn't do a reasonable channel scan for me..

tvheadend set up in about half an hour.. all channels scanned and recording is working..

Only problem I have is I use 2 drives in this box for recording, but you can only set one directory up.

very cool piece of software.

Thanks

Si
sijones you can do a lvm. logical volume manager. you can merge 2 or more discs and mount them as a one disk. or you can do a raid matrix.

i have updated xbmc to latest svn and hts is working. Big Grin

ty for your help.

mythtv is extreamly difficult to configure. hts is far more simpler. i agree with you sijones
ukasz Wrote:ty for the info. i will try as soon as i will have time for it. i have noticed that there is a newer changelog on hts trac

I was talking about SVN version of xbmc!!! Laugh sorry for the confusion.
poko66 i have downloaded newest version of xbmc from svn. i have figured it out ;-)