Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Power Saving Idea - Slow down the GUI rendering rate when idle?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If XBMC is idling (not playing video/music) then slow down the GUI rendering rate. Then restore the normal rendering rate once a key is pressed. I believe this should lower the cpu usage when XBMC is idling.

I run my XBMC 24/7 and I currently have a key mapped on my remote to close/re-open XBMC for when the system is idling. I think this would be a very beneficial feature for XBMC.

BTW, Thanks to all the developers on the XBMC project for this great software!
If you set the ScreenSaver to "Black" it slows down rendering when the screensaver kicks on.

EDIT: Oh wait you're saying while semi actively using XBMC, slow down rendering. Well the issue is that there's a lot of scrolly text and throbbing buttons and stuff and everything looks stuttery if the rendering slows down.
Yes, slowing down the rendering rate would make things a little more "stuttery" but most of the time I'm not watching the screen when the machine is idle. I don't see a need to render 30+ FPS when the machine is idling.... just my thoughts... Smile
sounds reasonable, pls file a request in trac.
Power management has several other implications and is definitively a feature to be implemented.
I agree, there is no reason to be running at 60 or 100 fps when you're not watching. That's why I suggested the "black" screensaver which does exactly what you're asking for: lowers fps when idle. Personally I think the "dim" should too.
l.capriotti Wrote:sounds reasonable, pls file a request in trac.
Power management has several other implications and is definitively a feature to be implemented.

Ticket created! http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6727

Thanks guys! Nod