Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] Only Stereo, no DTS or Digital 5.1 output
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hi, my second problem is, that i can't get DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 to work. i try it with my DVD-Drive and with the DVD "Faithless - Live at Alexandra Palace" really cool stuff and working in DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 if i try to watch it with my PS3.

on xbmc i only get stereo.... No

my configuration:

actual Nvidia drivers
actual svn
Jaunty 64 bit, actual updated

svn : ./configure --disable-pulse

connection from htpc to receiver via hdmi

in xbmc i have stereo sound on movies and mp3's and i have also menu-sounds

my settings in /system/audio-hardware in xbmc from top:

1. Audio output : digital
2. support AC3 : no
3. support DTS : yes
4. audio output hardware : hdmi
5. passthrough output device: hdmi
6. downmix multichannel audio to stereo : no

my .asoundrc
Quote:# ALSA library configuration file

# Include settings that are under the control of asoundconf(1).
# (To disable these settings, comment out this line.)
# </home/markus/.asoundrc.asoundconf>

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
format S32_LE
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

could it be that it has something to do with "channels 2" ??

love to hear something from you "cracks " Smile

btw. why is it this horrible heavy to configure a simple sound output device in linux??
What does the "aplay -L" and "aplay -l" output?
aplay -L

Quote:markus@mediacenter:~/xbmc/XBMC$ aplay -L
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Analog
Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, ALC1200 Digital
IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
HDMI Audio Output
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
markus@mediacenter:~/xbmc/XBMC$
aplay -l

Quote:markus@mediacenter:~/xbmc/XBMC$ aplay -l
**** Liste von PLAYBACK Geräten ****
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 0: ALC1200 Analog [ALC1200 Analog]
Untergeordnete Geräte: 1/1
Untergeordnetes Gerät '0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 1: ALC1200 Digital [ALC1200 Digital]
Untergeordnete Geräte: 1/1
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
Untergeordnete Geräte: 0/1
markus@mediacenter:~/xbmc/XBMC$
In your first post I see:
Quote:2. support AC3 : no
I think you should enable that. And did you connect your Linux XBMC machine via a Dolby Digital amplifier/receiver? Via a single cable that delivers the digital signal to your amplifier to be decoded by your DD/DTS compatible amplifier?

Also, try to open Ubuntu/Gnome's audio volume control window (click on the speaker icon in the taskbar). Is pass-through of DD/DTS/AC3/IEC958 enabled (it's a check box in the control window)?

P.S. I don't speak German, so the fact that you chose to install the German version of Ubuntu doesn't really hep too.... Shocked
ac3 is disabled, because my receiver didnt support it, but DTS is enabled, and that is what i want... DTS output to my receiver, because it can handle it Smile
are you absolutely sure about that? normally a receiver that's handling DTS should be able to also decode AC3 (= DD5.1) ...

@xbmcuser01: he already stated very clearly that HDMI is his sole connection to his receiver for audio&video
pico Wrote:ac3 is disabled, because my receiver didnt support it, but DTS is enabled, and that is what i want... DTS output to my receiver, because it can handle it Smile
Almost all receivers that support DTS are Dolby Digital (DD) receivers. And DD goes by a lot of different names:

DD = 5.1 = AC3 = IEC958

So I still think you should enable it. Just to check if digital through-put (= pass through) works. Then we can work at the DTS prob. I'll try to see if I have a DVD w/ DTS on it an test it on my XBMC. Smile
ok, i activated AC3 in XBMC, now when i start the DVD and choose wheter DD 5.1 or DTS and start the video, i get no failure message any more , but i got still no sound... any more ideas?

btw. in gnome all switches are "on" for hdmi output

i think now its some config in the .asoundrc file or in alsa...

how linux xbmc tell my soundcard what he has to do? there is no config for hdmi in .asoundrc or?
First things first. On my box DTS as well as DD works (so it is not an XBMC problem). You have the latast version of XBMC? I think that's 9.04? Here's what I did:

1. In XBMC go to the System Settings screen and enable "DTS capable receiver" (as well as AC3).

2. I usually do not edit alsa's settings files. Far to complicated for me. I always use the graphical Gnome utility for that (= gnome-volume-control). But beware: not all "switches" (like the IEC958 (i.e. digital pass through) one) are shown by default. See the screenshot below of my Gnome-volume-control window. As you can see I have to click on "Preferences" and then specifically choose to enable the iec958 check box (switch) in the volume control window.

Good luck Smile

P.S. Xmbc does not tell your soundcard what to do. Your soundcard passes the digital audio though, or it doesn't. And that depends on the switch in the volume-control utility. Smile
excuse me, xbmcuser, but obviously you are using the SPDIF out of a c-media chip while he tries to get the audio output working with a nvidia HDMI audio device
Hannes The Hun Wrote:excuse me, xbmcuser, but obviously you are using the SPDIF out of a c-media chip while he tries to get the audio output working with a nvidia HDMI audio device
I know. But isn't the configuration of that soundcard a bit the same in principle? I mean, I always thought that passthrough is passthrough... But I could be wrong of course! Cool
ok, no still no sound

btw. i recognized that in terminal when i start alsamixer the version of it is 1.0.18... sooo, first of all, update to 1.0.20

after that i got sound back, but cannot test it now...
Try the following...

1) Check BIOS, are you using the HDMI for sound?

2) Open a terminal, type: alsamixer
To the right you will see IEC958 columns, if they're marked "MM", move to them and unmute them.

3) After that, enter XBMC, go to Audio section. Set the following:
Digital
AC3: on
DTS: on
Audio output: plughw:0,3
Passthrough: hdmi
Downmix: off.

See if you can play music, and DTS/AC3 movies.
Hopefully it works.

//M
Quote: 1) Check BIOS, are you using the HDMI for sound?

Checked, there is only one option with hdmi, and this is only if you have an external gfx card with hdmi, and you want to redirect the sound via spdif to this card... no option for hdmi audio... (and i can hear stereo sound without any problems now)

Quote:2) Open a terminal, type: alsamixer
To the right you will see IEC958 columns, if they're marked "MM", move to them and unmute them.

every IEC958 was unmuted

Quote:3) After that, enter XBMC, go to Audio section. Set the following:
Digital
AC3: on
DTS: on
Audio output: plughw:0,3
Passthrough: hdmi
Downmix: off.

checked, stereo sound no problem, no DD or DTS sound...

maybe its interesting to you, i dont have stereo sound in DVD playback also...?? isnt that weird? i have stereo with mp3s or with movie-playback...
Pages: 1 2