Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Upgrading XBMC Live?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi folks,

Possible stupid question about XBMC Live: is it possible to manually upgrade it to the latest SVN? I built a custom HTPC and was keen to use the linux version to benefit from the GPU acceleration, however my linux knowledge is basically zero so I went with a Live install on a USB pen, which works great. I'm wanting to upgrade to a newer SVN however to get the new media flagging stuff, and was wondering if there is an easy way to upgrade? Is there a script that can be run? Can it be done over SFTP manually?

I've tried searching for an answer for a while but had no success, apologies if the answer is somewhere obvious and I've missed it.

Many thanks
Hi and welcome to the forums.

You will have to download the source, packages and compile yourself. This should get you started. You can do this using scp.

From the readme.linux.

Code:
cd $HOME

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion

Code:
svn checkout https://xbmc.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xbmc/branches/linuxport/XBMC

Code:
sudo apt-get install subversion make g++ gcc gawk pmount libtool nasm automake cmake gperf unzip bison libsdl-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-stretch-dev libfribidi-dev liblzo-dev libfreetype6-dev libsqlite3-dev libogg-dev libasound-dev python-sqlite libglew-dev libcurl4-dev x11proto-xinerama-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxrender-dev libmad0-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpcre3-dev libdbus-1-dev libhal-dev libhal-storage-dev libjasper-dev libfontconfig-dev libbz2-dev libboost-dev libfaac-dev libenca-dev libxt-dev libxmu-dev libpng-dev libjpeg-dev libpulse-dev mesa-utils libcdio-dev libsamplerate-dev

Code:
cd XBMC

Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr

Code:
make

Add -j2 for dual core cpu. eg "make -j2"

Code:
sudo make install

And finally

Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live stop

xbmc should then restart and will be the latest svn.

cheers.

ps If you are using a version of xbmc live older than 9.04.1, this method wont work 100% .
you'd better user the SVN PPAs if you are not conversant with Linux:

Code:
sudo sed -i -e "s/\/team-xbmc\//\/team-xbmc-svn\//" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Hi l.capriotti

Just used this code and it worked.

Code:

sudo sed -i -e "s/\/team-xbmc\//\/team-xbmc-svn\//" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.org.list
sudo apt-get update

But now it won't boot into xbmc live which l install to hdd.

Do you know what l need to do for it to boot straight into xbmc again?

Thanks

fuzz1912
try this:

Code:
wget http://trac.xbmc.org/export/21168/branches/linuxport/XBMC/tools/XBMCLive/xbmc
sudo cp xbmc /etc/init.d/xbmc-live
l.capriotti Wrote:try this:

Code:
wget http://trac.xbmc.org/export/21168/branches/linuxport/XBMC/tools/XBMCLive/xbmc
sudo cp xbmc /etc/init.d/xbmc-live

Doesn't work for me. When the system is rebooted I get the messages below stuck on screen:

Code:
* Starting Hardware abstraction layer hald [OK]
Setting volumes at 100%

* Checking battery state... [OK]
/dev/sda:
  setting Advanced Power Management level to Oxfe (254)  [OK]

This just stays on screen.

If I SSH into the box and type sudo /etc/init.d/xbmc-live force-reload then I see the following:

Code:
* Configuring system and starting XBMC...
* Increasing ALSA volumes...
   ...done.
(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ Setting volumes at 100%

but nothing happens after this. It did on one reboot ask me for my login and password but I got the same result when I entered these.
Still didn't work

Getting the same problems as duplu
Me too~ I think I have reallyt screwed things up
if you upgraded your kernel you are done, restricted drivers are built for the original kernel
only.
l.capriotti Wrote:you'd better user the SVN PPAs if you are not conversant with Linux:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

I had some problems with the correct key; I fixed it with this script;

Code:
for i in 2BBD133164234534 A956EB81318C7509 6D975C4791E7EE5E
do
  gpg --keyserver wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net --recv-keys $i
  gpg --export --armor $i | apt-key add -
done
what is the correct way to do this without messing with the kernel.

I too only want to update live to SVN.

Please post code that will work and continue allowing xbmc live to autoboot. I have it booting in like 32 secs and do not want to jimmy that up so to speak.
Yep, this happened to me too - I upgraded a USB disk using l.capriotti's method and it worked fine. Now after upgrading my hard drive (non portable) using the same method it's freezing at * Checking battery state... [OK]. What have we stuffed? The kernel of our nvidia drivers or something else? Would anyone know how to only upgrade XBMC?
anyone found any solutions to this?
Have you tried my method? it works perfect for me.

cheers
you have verified it works on the live as well? cause every time i try to jsut use the linux build all hell breaks lose lol
Pages: 1 2