Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best Auriga Mod Pack from Skilled Skinners and Skin Modders?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Djh,Hitcher,Cf2009,Raven,Imaginos and many more pro modders/skinners We all love your work..but for lame guys like me (I hope I speak for more similar "not so tecnical people") :/ its pretty hard to get it working with many mods..it allways comes up with a broken mod in some way when putting your stuff together Confused

I know you all have less time or maby no time over for requests like this but, plz, do us lame dudes a favor,

give us YOUR best "full Auriga skin & inclusive modpacks" with a bref description and a download link...

Best Regards

// SweViking
Sorry for hi-jacking the original question, but I wanted to ask as to why the modders out there aren't utilizing tools such as http://www.github.com for maintaining and distributing their works?

I'm new to the community and am unaware of underlying politics, if any, so forgive me if this sounds contrived. In a perfect world, everyone would be working out of djh_'s repository or some other centralized Aeon code base. Mod's from CF2009, Hitcher and the like would then become patches against the trunk, and even merged into the trunk over time. Everything in one place, always up to date, no having to hand edit XML files ... it almost sounds too good to be true. Am I missing something here?
I wanted to use Github but it seems way too complicated.
Well, some people may not know how to use Git, or may not want to use Git or don't like Git, whatever... That may be a reason for some of modders.

For instance, I was going to create a mod myself with a few things in Git but I simply wasn't able. I found it too confusing over SVN (which I'm used too, not saying I wouldn't know how to use Git properly after playing with it for a while, but I don't have time for that) when I first tried it. But that's just me...

But there's quite a few mods in Git if you look closely, there are many forks. However, I'm not sure djh_ merges anything from the other mods... Why is that, I have no idea.

EDIT: Too late, just like Hitcher... I don't know if you are more confortable with SVN like I do but I tried to think for a proper way to have Aeon's source on SVN (without any intervention from djh_ or removing the source from Git, everything would be as it is right now) just for my personal and then sync my mod with that unchanged Aeon's source on SVN. It would help things for me, but I can't see how can I do it and where to host it. Of course, I would have to manually sync Aeon's source on SVN manually whenever there was an updated from djh_.
Even SVN would be an option, it's just about getting all this great work centralized in a single location and to start promoting collaboration. I was just using the example of github because it's the new cool thing on the block, and extremely easy to use from the end-user perspective.

For Nazgulled, moving code from git to svn in an automated fashion is pretty straightforward. I've done it before for "boring, work related stuff".

For Hitcher, I'd think that the work you're doing is a lot more complicated than using git Wink. It's just a version control system and they all work under the same principle. You check in, you check out, you tag. The commands you pass it may be slightly different, but that's it. It's what happens behind the scenes in terms of how code is managed by the repository and the merging capabilities that really differentiate CVS, SVN, git, etc.
I kind of like the old school way things are...I get to pick and choose what I want. I'm not into all the poster/banner for TV mods so I leave those alone. To have all the mods in one skin would make the customization page so huge and so many check boxes it would get confusing. Plus I don't like git so I'm glad that I only have to use it rarely.
Defiantly seems like an idea worth consideration to me, once the threads remain as normal but there's a combined place for storing all mods.
oo_void Wrote:Even SVN would be an option, it's just about getting all this great work centralized in a single location and to start promoting collaboration. I was just using the example of github because it's the new cool thing on the block, and extremely easy to use from the end-user perspective.
That sounds like I'm suggesting moving everything to SVN over Git, well, I'm not... Just to make things clear.

oo_void Wrote:For Nazgulled, moving code from git to svn in an automated fashion is pretty straightforward. I've done it before for "boring, work related stuff".
Care to suggest how? But maybe that's off-topic and should be posted here...
Nazgulled Wrote:That sounds like I'm suggesting moving everything to SVN over Git, well, I'm not... Just to make things clear.

Care to suggest how? But maybe that's off-topic and should be posted here...

Github is a solution and I seem to fix that lol, but meanwhile cant you guys post your best entire package here...?
Hitcher Wrote:I wanted to use Github but it seems way too complicated.

it's really not that complicated once you get used to it Smile anyway, if you still would like to move to github - i'm sure all of us github users will gladly give you a hand in anything you might need to make it easier.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52970
Gamester17 Wrote:FYI; almost all open source skins for XBMC are currently hosted in the XBMC Skinning Project's SVN:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xboxmediacenter

Download (via a SVN client):
http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=87325
Code:
svn co https://xboxmediacenter.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/xboxmediacenter xboxmediacenter

All skinners who are willing to open source their skins are most welcomed to join this project!

PS! The XBMC Skin Manager is also open source (Python Code) and hosted in above mentioned SVN:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=28000

Wink

Note! I believe Google Code has size limit for their SVN hosting, while SourceForge does not.
PS! I have probably sent an invitation to Djh_ for this official XBMC Skinning Project more than 10 times already, he always replied that he was not yet ready to release it under an open source license.
logictester Wrote:it's really not that complicated once you get used to it Smile anyway, if you still would like to move to github - i'm sure all of us github users will gladly give you a hand in anything you might need to make it easier.
I've made an account but I'm really not sure how to fork and submit my changes (does Git just compare my XML's against the main ones?).
Hitcher Wrote:I've made an account but I'm really not sure how to fork and submit my changes (does Git just compare my XML's against the main ones?).

this made it very simple for me:

http://pragprog.com/screencasts/v-scgith...-to-github

forking and working is explained at 16:30 approx
Viking Wrote:Github is a solution and I seem to fix that lol, but meanwhile cant you guys post your best entire package here...?
Since I'm not one of "those" guys, I can't answer you Tongue

Maybe you misquoted?
Nazgulled Wrote:Since I'm not one of "those" guys, I can't answer you Tongue

Maybe you misquoted?

yes sorry Naz...I missquoted Blush
Pages: 1 2