Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Best operating-system platform to run XBMC on?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Since this forum dont have a way to make polls, I will ask here.

Which is the best platform to run XBMC?

considering performance and almost problems free.
My media is all HD, my music is no less than 320kbps and is all stored in a Windows server.

Windows - Mac - Linux

Nod

Not platform/OS war or flaming just smart answers from performance and trouble-free point of view
Linux IMO Wink
Yea i would say linux because you get vdpau but in saying that I have never had a problem with it on my Xbox (apart from ones i've inflicted on myself) and you you get a super quick boot time.
Xbox - has always had least amount of problems for me..... still to this day - recently got one for £3 of ebay.... its a no brainer and as Crash123 says boot time is 2nd to none!

Tried the others and I'd probably settle on Windows or Live CD.....

But your probably gonna get this thread closed as not only has it been ask hundreds of times - it tends to start flamming OS wars. Big Grin
Geeba Wrote:Xbox - has always had least amount of problems for me..... still to this day - recently got one for £3 of ebay.... its a no brainer and as Crash123 says boot time is 2nd to none!

Ditto!
Omg platform war!!!!!
lol, that's why a poll would be better..!

I was asking because am in the process of buying a new HTPC and I was thinking in a mac mini but right now am running XBMC in a MacBook and have been running a few issues all related to audio and am having second thoughts .

Xbox is out of the question that wasn't even in the options!!

Quote:my library is huge(tv shows, movies, music) all my video media is HD, all my music is no less than 320kbps bitrate and am using Aeon as skin
- that's why xbox is out of the question !
A poll is still going to get you only 100% biased opinions. Anyone who claims their response isn't biased is lying. The best way to answer this question is never to ask it, do research and decide on your own what is best for you.
depends on the hardware i guess... i use windows - and it runs great for me
logictester Wrote:depends on the hardware i guess... i use windows - and it runs great for me

Yes, it depends all off the hardware.

But maybe the best is Linux, especially if you have old hardware and a Geforce Card compatible it VDPAU.
Based upon your wicked looking setup, I'm guessing you can afford CPU acceleration. With that in mind, the best platform is probably which ever you are most familiar with prior to XBMC. That's it. That is the extent of the answer. XBMC has been designed to be platform independent. This should theoretically mean that all platforms perform equally well.

Whether they do or do not, of course, is up for extensive debate, (I, for example, am afraid of Linux and think the cost to get into the Mac game is too high, plus I just don't understand video and audio drivers in Linux) but for the most part, each person's answer is going to be based upon pure personal preference.
natethomas Wrote:Based upon your wicked looking setup, I'm guessing you can afford CPU acceleration. With that in mind, the best platform is probably which ever you are most familiar with prior to XBMC. That's it. That is the extent of the answer. XBMC has been designed to be platform independent. This should theoretically mean that all platforms perform equally well.

Whether they do or do not, of course, is up for extensive debate, (I, for example, am afraid of Linux and think the cost to get into the Mac game is too high, plus I just don't understand video and audio drivers in Linux) but for the most part, each person's answer is going to be based upon pure personal preference.

thats what am after, it doesnt matter how difficult would be to setup a a/v driver in Linux if after that it wont have any problem, Currently I have a Windows server machine, Mac Leopard and Windows Vista with Vmware running Windows Xp and Ubuntu so anything can be learn...I just dont want to deal with too many problems because problems will always be there.
Linux so you can use video acceleration, asuming you are using a vdpau supported card (less energy consumption == less heat == less noise).

And of course you can use a much cheaper cpu, even a atom N330 can handle 1080p
I was incline to the size factor of the mac mini it is possible to install Linux in a Mac mini and overcome all of the problems of the XBMC in a Mac OS by using Linux instead ?
that way you will have the best of both worlds OS and small good looking case
Apparently XBMC does not have the best quality in terms of sound output on mac anyhow (I do not know how true this is as I use itunes for music, sorting XBMC music into anything sensible will take about 6 years manually which seems to be the only way)

As the OP is serious about music, its probably best to concentrate on programmes specific to this task. I am not saying itunes is that app by any means.
Pages: 1 2