Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] Is it safe to update to Apple TV OS 2.4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Has anyone checked if after doing the ATV 2.4 + Patchstick update, the files you may have copied to "frontrow/Movies" before the update are still intact?

I have a 160GB ATV and have a number of movies stored in "frontrow/Movies". I'm hesitant to do the update till I know for sure I won't lose them.
davilla Wrote:"white title bar (that says 'XBMC Media Centre') across the top of the screen" means you're running windowed and not fullscreen.

Are you referring to the White menu bar that's briefly seen before XBMC comes-up?
I see it all the time on my patched v.2.13 ATV when I launch XBMC from Launcher.
anamika Wrote:Are you referring to the White menu bar that's briefly seen before XBMC comes-up?
I see it all the time on my patched v.2.13 ATV when I launch XBMC from Launcher.

Yes, that's it. If it goes away as XBMC starts up, then you are running fullscreen, if not, then you are running windowed. Launcher launches xbmc with "xbmc -fs" to force it into fullscreen. Depending on version (older ones), this might not force XBMC into fullscreen.
I was able to upgrade successfully as well (XBMC is working as before).

I have to say that the new ipod touch/iphone gesture remote functionality that was added in 2.4 works great. I am sure I am very premature here, but I would like to suggest a feature request to allow this new functionality to port over to XBMC. It would be quite slick to be able to us the same Remote app for both the apple TV and XBMC.

Would this even be possible?
Has anyone checked if after doing the ATV 2.4 + Patchstick update, the files you may have copied to "frontrow/Movies" before the update are still intact?

I have a 160GB ATV and have a number of movies stored in "frontrow/Movies". I'm hesitant to do the update till I know for sure I won't lose them.
anamika Wrote:Has anyone checked if after doing the ATV 2.4 + Patchstick update, the files you may have copied to "frontrow/Movies" before the update are still intact?

Hi Anamika

I upgraded successfully & all the movies I've got in Frontrow/Movies are still there. Settings in XBMC / Sapphire / Boxee are all still there. No problems. Just have to reinstall all the software.

teegee
Thanks teegee. Did the patch stick work the first time? A buddy of mine had to run it twice after the 2.4 update.
referring to this discussion both akwardTV and AppleTVhacks have confirmed that XBMC works fine with new update
http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/AppleTV_OS_2.4
http://www.appletvhacks.net/2009/06/29/a...24-update/

be proud guys!! Wink
My apple TV got automatically updated to version 2.4 . I just re done all the patch stick steps this is what my experience is

1) Initially very small tine window of XBMC is displayed .
2) Installed launcheer 3.0 and then 3.1 and the issue of the small image goes away
2) ISO has little troubles taking some time to load the ISO image for the first time
3) some times I do get a blank screen nothing displays ( This occured when the apple tv is switeched on and tv is switched off for long time when tv is truned on nothing shows on the screen . but remote responses are heared.)

Over all no big issues it is working as it worked earlier . So good luck with the new version
satyamb Wrote:3) some times I do get a blank screen nothing displays ( This occured when the apple tv is switeched on and tv is switched off for long time when tv is truned on nothing shows on the screen . but remote responses are heared.)

this sounds like you removed your /Users/frontrow/Library/Application\ Support/XBMC folder and did not reinstall XBMC afterwards.
Reinstalling XBMC from Launcher->Downloads->XBMC should fix the issue

cheers,
mdd
OK. So it sounds like its safe to upgrade. The question is _should_ I upgrade. Are there any compelling reasons?
anamika Wrote:Thanks teegee. Did the patch stick work the first time? A buddy of mine had to run it twice after the 2.4 update.

Yes, patchstick worked first time. It's been mentioned elsewhere, but XBMC feels a lot faster after the update (probably the new version of XBMC rather than the ATV firmware).

However, I use Sapphire a lot and after the 2.4 upgrade, it's been crashing from time-to-time. Nothing a restart won't fix, but a little bit annoying. Probably doesn't like some settings somewhere...
xaos01 Wrote:OK. So it sounds like its safe to upgrade. The question is _should_ I upgrade. Are there any compelling reasons?

Only that you can use the new version of Remote app for iPhone / iPod Touch. Get you off having to use the standard ATV remote. It is very slick.
Agreed. The new iPod Touch remote is much better than using the ATV remote.
It controls XBMC and not just frontrow within the AppleTV?
Pages: 1 2 3