Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTV] Is it safe to update to Apple TV OS 2.4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Today Apple release software update 2.4. I was wondering, and surprised I am the first to ask, if it is safe to upgrade to 2.4?

I figure I will need to re install everything after the update, but I want to make sure XBMC is going to work before I do anything.
Chipskip Wrote:Today Apple release software update 2.4. I was wondering, and surprised I am the first to ask, if it is safe to upgrade to 2.4?

I figure I will need to re install everything after the update, but I want to make sure XBMC is going to work before I do anything.

No, it is not safe. This update was just released a few hours ago and we don't know the extent of the changes to the underlying AppleTV OS.
I decided to be the test subject and installed it. I then loaded everything back up through my patchstick and after i reinstalled I have a login screen. I can't type anything in is the bad part. I can't screen share or anything with it now. this sucks.

The password for ssh is no longer frontrow!!! Any ideas davilla?
My screen kept going blank and while I was trying to get something back I accidentally updated it Sad

So far,

Launcher 3.1 - installed fine
XBMC 9.04.1 - installed fine, settings and library are intact without having to restore from backup

I can ssh into it fine also using frontrow/frontrow (I'm using putty)

edit: also, I don't know if it was going from 9.04 to 9.04.1 or the new update but the library feels a lot snappier when I'm navigating through my movies using showcase view, it's not as laggy/choppy.
I had the same experience as roffles. Fortunately the library information is still intact.
Did u guys had to reinstall using the usb patchstick?
Anyone played with this one yet ?

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-6242.2...60-029.dmg

Let me know if there's any brave beta testers curious to see if this one still accepts all of our favourite mods Smile

EDIT ... sorry .. did not see the other post until now ... http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=53472
Not sure if it makes a difference, but did any of the beta testers extract the boot.efi file from the new Apple TV DMG file and update their patchstick with it ?
Ilia Wrote:Did u guys had to reinstall using the usb patchstick?

yup i just dug out my old patchstick from my drawer and it worked fine.
just tried it here with the ATV we have on our booth and it just worked. re-patchstick, update Launcher ... seems to work Smile

cheers,
mdd
XBMC4Ever Wrote:Not sure if it makes a difference, but did any of the beta testers extract the boot.efi file from the new Apple TV DMG file and update their patchstick with it ?

boot.efi did not change.
roffles Wrote:yup i just dug out my old patchstick from my drawer and it worked fine.

Hey guys

Do you have to use a patchstick with ssh on it or do you think I can use the one without?

Cheers
So my AppleTV upgraded itself overnight to 2.4.

I grabbed the patchstick that I initially used and was able to re-installed the launcher.

I re-downloaded XBMC, and it started up without any significant issues. It remembered all my settings and mappings.

However, the XBMC screen was much smaller than it should be (I'm guessing it's about 800x600). I futzed around with the settings, and was able to get it much larger. A couple reboots improved the situation.

For a while I had a white title bar (that says 'XBMC Media Centre') across the top of the screen. After exiting & restarting XBMC a few times, I was able to get rid of it.

So far, it looks like everything is working.
The white screen with the xbmc title on it has been discussed a few times in these forums.

I never saw an answer for it (I also never posted a log showing when it happenned Smile), so I can't complain
philhu Wrote:The white screen with the xbmc title on it has been discussed a few times in these forums.

I never saw an answer for it (I also never posted a log showing when it happenned Smile), so I can't complain

"white title bar (that says 'XBMC Media Centre') across the top of the screen" means you're running windowed and not fullscreen.
Pages: 1 2 3