Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
jwdv22.
As i found the xbox has to work harder to process the audio through the phone cables, where as direct digital out to a receiver, free's up slightly more cpu power to process the picture.

But i still cant get 0 frame drop even with the 6ch audio converted down to 192kps
I get about 5 drop's a second in fast moving scenes. so at the mo im a bit stuck!
buges Wrote:jwdv22.
As i found the xbox has to work harder to process the audio through the phone cables, where as direct digital out to a receiver, free's up slightly more cpu power to process the picture.

But i still cant get 0 frame drop even with the 6ch audio converted down to 192kps
I get about 5 drop's a second in fast moving scenes. so at the mo im a bit stuck!

at 192Huh Are you using the newest bitrates settings? What are all the settings you are using?
jwdv22 Wrote:Sorry, but I am definitely not an audio guy. What does this mean?

Does this mean that I need to have my XBOX hooked to a receiver to get this to work? I want to have the file in 5.1 because I have a surround sound system that I will be setting up downstairs, but when I watch it upstairs I only have the TV speakers thru Component cables. How do I have the audio passed on to be decoded by the TV instead of the XBOX?

When you dont have an external receiver attached to which the xbox can pass the un-decoded audio through digital-out than the xbox has to decode and convert the audio from 5.1 dts/ac3 to a stereo signal. this puts additional load to the processor and thus will lead to frame dropping. this is so, because 720p video encoded with my settings takes already 92-100 % cpu power, so there is no space for audio decoding. So usally i would recomend converting the 5.1 audio to a stereo mp3 track. I mean if you dont have a 5.1 sound system connected, then why you need 5.1 audio in the first place?

For you special purpose (having one xbox on tv and second xbox on cinema system) i can say that i have excectly the same setup. so, to be able to play the video on tv without audio reciever and on the home cinema system, i usually leave the 5.1 audio in the video AND put a second audio track in the mkv-container which is just the same audio but converted to Stereo-AC3 or Stereo-Mp3.Then when playing the movie on the tv, i just choose the stereo track and dont have frame drops.

jwdv22 Wrote:Also I see your updated instructions have 1080 values. Does this mean those are the suggested resolutions and bitrates to use if your source is 1080?

NO, the 720p resp. 1080p refers to the profile that has to be selected in the DiVX configuration windows.

Note that i tweaked the bitrate values again (see first posting).it justs take a lot of trial and error to figure out the perfect settings as i noticed now!

Plz post back here about your encoding results!
buges Wrote:jwdv22.

Yeah, i am not satisfied 100% too. I am pretty sure we havent found the perfect bitrate values for 1280x720 and 1280x688 yet. But we are on the right track. 1280x540 plays definitly without framedrops at around 11 Mbit/s.
funkytown Wrote:For you special purpose (having one xbox on tv and second xbox on cinema system) i can say that i have excectly the same setup. so, to be able to play the video on tv without audio reciever and on the home cinema system, i usually leave the 5.1 audio in the video AND put a second audio track in the mkv-container which is just the same audio but converted to Stereo-AC3 or Stereo-Mp3.Then when playing the movie on the tv, i just choose the stereo track and dont have frame drops.

NO, the 720p resp. 1080p refers to the profile that has to be selected in the DiVX configuration windows.

Note that i tweaked the bitrate values again (see first posting).it justs take a lot of trial and error to figure out the perfect settings as i noticed now!

Plz post back here about your encoding results!

Thanks for all the hard work funkytown.
My setup is a little different. I have 1 Xbox and a Xbox 360 (with AV receiver). Since 360 can't handle MKV files, I am making AVI my file of choice and AC3 5.1 if possible. However, it doesn't sound like doing 5.1 is possible for me. MP3 128 44K works fine no dropped frames, but the Video quality isn't quite how I want it to be.

1080p profile.... I see that now. Out of curiosity since my source is 1080p....

Wouldn't using 1080p instead of 720p ensure better video?
Thanks again.
jwdv22 Wrote:Thanks for all the hard work funkytown.
My setup is a little different. I have 1 Xbox and a Xbox 360 (with AV receiver). Since 360 can't handle MKV files, I am making AVI my file of choice and AC3 5.1 if possible. However, it doesn't sound like doing 5.1 is possible for me. MP3 128 44K works fine no dropped frames, but the Video quality isn't quite how I want it to be.

Did you know that you can put multiple audio tracks even in a AVI container? You dont have to use MKV!

What in fact dont you like about the quality? I have always been very pleased with the image quality that DiVX gives with 720p material.
Check out these comparison screenshots of original Blu-Ray and DiVX encoded movie: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=358...tcount=186

Greets1
funkytown Wrote:Did you know that you can put multiple audio tracks even in a AVI container? You dont have to use MKV!

What in fact dont you like about the quality? I have always been very pleased with the image quality that DiVX gives with 720p material.
Check out these comparison screenshots of original Blu-Ray and DiVX encoded movie: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=358...tcount=186

Greets1

If I include MP3 stereo on the first track and AC35.1 on the second track, won't the Audio bitrate be like 760~ish and that will result in less video bitrate? Also when I loaded the MKV file it only split out a 264vid file and an AC3 file. If I load two audio tracks I think it tells me that I can't have the same source audio file...
The quality was very good, I just thought the other bitrates were better, but it resulted in stuttering. Since I am not using your MKV tutorial I can't say how those reults look but in AVI they look really good.

Is the video on 1080p settings better than the 720p settings?
I happend across a BluRay rip with DTS. However when I try to convert that to AVI with any other kind of Audio, aka MP3, the program Bombs... Can anyone else confirm that converting audio from DTS to MP3 to AC3 with StaxRip cause the program to crash?

Thanks
I just downloaded the trial of the Divx suite: v7.2. I can't find anywhere to set these custom settings, such as the CLI. Can someone provide the navigation path, or do I need to downgrade to v6.x?
@zimdba, you need to use an encoding frontend such as Staxrip (look in my tutorial) to access these settings.

@jwdv22, to my knowledge staxrip doesnt support DTS transcoding. You need to use an extra tool like besweet to reencode the DTS first.
DGAVCIndex keeps crashing on me. Using other means I've ripped a couple of BDs - one with DTS-MA and the other Dolby TrueHD with audio converted to AC3 in both cases. They play fine when streamed to my PS3. I mention this because I thought maybe StaxRip wouldn't crash as it did when I tried to run it using the original BDs. This looked like a streamlined solution to getting 720P for use on the XBox. Any ideas?

Iris
This is just awesome work, funkytown. Long awaited indeed!

I guess the next step is to find a practical way of including DTS soundtrack with the file, as many releases these days includes DTS.
I also see a few members with analog output - performance hit for eg. 2ch 192kbps MP3 would be nice (how that translates into % bitrate).

Finally, I have a suggestion;
doesn't have to be that complicated to make a GUI of this - the most important is to get something working, no matter if it's quick and ugly. In the beginning, it could be based around something as simple as executing AutoIt scripts - one script for each resolution, that is (minor modifications in the original AutoIt script).
AutoIt is very simple - you just use the window-spy to get the name of which window to activate and button to press.
Then if there's interest, maybe someone can pick it up and make a more streamlined GUI with shell-scripts & such. But for less advanced users it would be helpful to get a simple one-click solution (analyze resolution of input file - gspot? - and then execute the relevant script which runs inputs relevant settings).
Been a long time since I was in here, and I have been having problems and trying different things....

Here is what I was finding..... This is finally working for me

1.) IF I read the instructions 100 times, then I read them 1000 times, BUT I must have read the set it to MPEG instad of H.263 every time I read it till today.

2.) While I was still getting dropped frames with the default MPlayer, I get none with DVDPlayer. Is everyone in here using DVDPlayer? Or at least having better results with it? Is it anyone's Default player?

Thanks
why virtualdub instead of Vitrualdub mod?
jwdv22 Wrote:2.) While I was still getting dropped frames with the default MPlayer, I get none with DVDPlayer. Is everyone in here using DVDPlayer? Or at least having better results with it? Is it anyone's Default player?

Thanks

Yes indeed. It's well known that DVDplayer is far superior to Mplayer when decoding mpeg4, so it's essential that you use DVDplayer on high-resolution streams.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7