Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Working Solution: 720p/HD movies on your XBOX (using DiVX)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I made the switch and haven't looked back. I am now able to encode correctly.

Couple of things, does anyone know when StaxRip will be able to handle DTS down scaling from DTS stream to MP3? It crashes on me everytime.

Does anyone else notice on 1080p vid run down to 720 using this tutorial, that DVDPlayer doesnt drop frames, but might slow down just a little bit?

Thanks for all the great work

captain_obvious Wrote:Yes indeed. It's well known that DVDplayer is far superior to Mplayer when decoding mpeg4, so it's essential that you use DVDplayer on high-resolution streams.
ok the 720p settings will not work without dropping frames in places even when using a max bitrate as low as vbv 3500000 with MP3 220 - 260. I just encoded planet earth, pole to pole 1280 X 720p used DVD player. For the most of it was watchable but I'm still getting dropped frames and some slow downs when water scenes are involved and a part where a massive flock of birds is shown(goes really bad). I'm now going to try the 960 X 540 settings as I had very good results with this using a sample clip. Will report results ASAP
Are you sure you are setting the Quantitizer to H263? I misread the instructions and kept changing that. Nothing would play for me.

Does the 720p settings work for you with 44100k 128k MP3?

willers.nail Wrote:ok the 720p settings will not work without dropping frames in places even when using a max bitrate as low as vbv 3500000 with MP3 220 - 260. I just encoded planet earth, pole to pole 1280 X 720p used DVD player. For the most of it was watchable but I'm still getting dropped frames and some slow downs when water scenes are involved and a part where a massive flock of birds is shown(goes really bad). I'm now going to try the 960 X 540 settings as I had very good results with this using a sample clip. Will report results ASAP
Has anyone ever tried re-encoding using mencoder and linux?
I don't have a windows pc and really like to watch hd movies on my xbox.Nod

I tried
Code:
mencoder testclip.mkv -o divx.test1.avi -ovc lavc -ffourcc DX50 -lavcopts keyint=300:vrc_maxrate=11661200 -oac copy
but it says: vbv buffersize is needed - any ideas?

edit: some more info:
the source clip is 1280x544 and i want to copy the dts audio source
jwdv22 Wrote:I don't have Pro, but I followed your settings and I am still getting dropped frames, and enough of them to care. 140 dropped frames in one action scene. The rest of the encode looks great. Here is the final settings

General
Complete name : C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\IronMan\IronMan5.1HD.avi
Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 245 MiB
Duration : 5mn 27s
Overall bit rate : 6 283 Kbps
Writing application : VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.2 (build 2540/release)
Writing library : VirtualDubMod build 2540/release

I know that it's been 2 months since your post "jwdv22" but i notice that you were using VirualDubMod which funktytown recommended not to do. Instead use VirtualDub in the options on the right hand pane.

"Make sure that in staxrip when you click on Options on the right side of the applications window that you have "Use VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod" enabled. Otherwise i have had problems with wrong colorspace in the resulting video."

Although it made colorspace problems it may be the reason for your frame drops?

Just a thoughtBig Grin
I've had to set aside around 20+gb for this.....Shocked

Am i alone here?

My original mkv is around 5gb with dts sound. I'm keeping the original audio and it's looking like the xbox friendly mkv is going to hit between 6.5-7gb!

This is my third try as my HD is nearly full and i set aside 10gb thinking that would be enough. Then i set aside 15gb. Now i've got 26gb free.

Surely that should be enough??Nod

My P4 is struggling too as it's taking around 6-8hrs.

Anyone got a dual core? If so how long's it taking?
Stan1971 Wrote:I've had to set aside around 20+gb for this.....Shocked

Am i alone here?

My original mkv is around 5gb with dts sound. I'm keeping the original audio and it's looking like the xbox friendly mkv is going to hit between 6.5-7gb!

This is my third try as my HD is nearly full and i set aside 10gb thinking that would be enough. Then i set aside 15gb. Now i've got 26gb free.

Surely that should be enough??Nod

My P4 is struggling too as it's taking around 6-8hrs.

Anyone got a dual core? If so how long's it taking?

approx 4 hours with a dual core. using this guide or the xvid guide
Stan1971 Wrote:I know that it's been 2 months since your post "jwdv22" but i notice that you were using VirualDubMod which funktytown recommended not to do. Instead use VirtualDub in the options on the right hand pane.

"Make sure that in staxrip when you click on Options on the right side of the applications window that you have "Use VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod" enabled. Otherwise i have had problems with wrong colorspace in the resulting video."

Although it made colorspace problems it may be the reason for your frame drops?

Just a thoughtBig Grin
No I have to use VirtualDubMod because of the AVI+MP3 combination...

But my problem was indeed related to my literacy, or lack there of.
I was using the wrong Quantitizer.
First I would like to say I really appreciate your work. I have been following the various threads on this stuff for awhile now and have been using xvid4psp with somewhat good results. I wanted to try your method so that I could increase my bitrate. I followed your tutorial and my 4.4gb mkv became a 4.3gb mkv. I kept the dts sound and have it passed through to my receiver. When played on the xbox using dvd player it drops about a frame every two seconds. that is better than i would have got before with the same bitrate but still not perfect. Please help with what i need to do to get it to play smoothly.
there is something else i have found that might be causing my dropped frames. I have the xbox connected to the tv with monster hd cables and an optical cable from the monster cables to the receiver. when i play a movie with dts or ac3 sound it plays through the receiver (which picks it up correctly) AND through the tv. So is the xbox sending the signal through AND decoding it? In XBMC I have digital output selected with both ac3 and dts selected and output to all speakers NOT selected. this makes me think that my dropped frames are due to the xbox still decoding the audio signal. Any help on this would be much appreciated.
The interesting thing is that when i research this problem, everyone wants to be able to do this but they are told its not possible! well its possible for me!
okay i have to to adjust some of the settings. I lowered the max bitrate of a 1280x720 encode to 4600 instead of the 5700 but i still get a lot of dropped frames, not as many as before but still way too many. Everything in this guide works great for movies less than 720 but i just cant seem to get these ones to work. I feel like I am so close to getting this to work right. Please help!
Can anyone out there help me? Please Im soooooo close!!!!!
ok, so if im reading this right, we can finally play 720p movies by encoding with this process?!?!

at above poster, try playing with "dvdplayer" rather than the default mplayer. this is what i do for x264 anime movies and they play just fine without re-encoding atm.
thanks for the reply, but i have tried using the dvdplayer to no avail!
oh, sorry then. xD

can someone post the settings for the profile because for some reason, when i go to load the settings, nothing really loads up for me. =/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7