Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live wireless support for Zotac ionitx
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone been able to get a Zotac Ionitx N330 wireless card to work with either XBMC Live Babylon or Atlantis?

Sees eth0, the wired LAN, just fine. So I edited /etc/network/interfaces to auto eth1 but still cannot get XBMC Live to pick it up. Obviously, this is not working just automatically so I wondered if anyone out there is booting off XBMC Live USB.

I have a feeling there is an underlying drivers issue since I have read of others with XBMC on a Zotac Ionitx and their wireless works. However, I have not read of anyone booting from USB XBMC Live on a Zotac ionitx n330 with wireless access.

It would be really cool to run from XBMC Live on my shiny new HTPC, but I may have to dawn a CF or SATA drive and load up Ubuntu with XBMC. Was going to do that anyway later, but wanted to try the bootable usb first. And I really want to stream wirelessly, if possible.
Sounds rather like a general linux/driver issue - nothing with xbmc. xbmc can only see the devices which are available to the underlying linux, nothing more. I suggest you get the wifi working in your linux first. IIRC there's a very recent kernel (2.6.29 or .30) necessary for the zotac wifi to work. It's an atheros9k, so madwifi maybe the point to look at.
If I remember right, ubuntu need the linux-backport-modules-jaunty (madwifi is non needed)
search on google ath9k (the kernel driver) and linux backport modules
Just chuck Ubuntu on now - it's more hassle than it's worth spending time fiddling with Live. It does, however, work just fine:

[Removed]

As my link says, despite it semi-working 'out of the box', I had to add:

linux-backports-modules-jaunty
wicd

To get it 100%

As someone says - I'm sure if you spend time messing with drivers you WILL get it working in Live, but it's a pointless exercise in the long term.

You can install Ubuntu and XBMC onto a USB memory stick. It worked okay, but any heavy file processing ground the system to a halt.
Really appreciate the sound advice. I believe I will go with installing ubuntu and then xbmc on a usb stick and give that a try. I should be able to get the wifi drivers working in ubuntu first, as you say, and then xbmc.
xbmcjunkie66 Wrote:Really appreciate the sound advice. I believe I will go with installing ubuntu and then xbmc on a usb stick and give that a try. I should be able to get the wifi drivers working in ubuntu first, as you say, and then xbmc.

Have you been able to get it to work? I have the same issue. One thing I notice is that from the router to the zotac xbmc wireless network is working fine. Ping and everything works fine.

From any other PC connected (wired or wireless). Ping does not work, host is unreachable. Nod