Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No stereo, just surround (DTS and DD)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I think this happed after I plugged in my iPod to recharge my battery.

I can't play music or videofiles with stereosound, I get the picture and XBMC says the song is playing, but there is no sound.

I run audio through coaxial SPDIF from onboard soundcard to my receiver. (this has worked for months without trouble.)

Ubuntu 8.04
XBMC 9.04.1
This could be the alsa issue where the spdif output gets stuck to passthrough and doesn't play pcm anymore, run "iecset audio on", see if that helps.
That worked! Thank you!

What happened, and how can I avoid it from happening again?
There are quite some annoying and reoccuring audio issues with linux sometimes. Have a look at the stickies which deal with most of them.

EDIT: If you're running xbmc from an .xinitrc or .xsession script, you could add "iecset audio on" before starting xbmc just to be sure.
As an alternative you can put it in "/etc/rc.local".

What happened is, XBMC configured the spdif output to passthrough, then it probably crashed so it didn't set it back to audio mode, then on shutdown alsa saved that setting and restored it the next boot.
Of course. (how could i not think of that) Smile
bobo1on1 Wrote:As an alternative you can put it in "/etc/rc.local".

What happened is, XBMC configured the spdif output to passthrough, then it probably crashed so it didn't set it back to audio mode, then on shutdown alsa saved that setting and restored it the next boot.

I'm a Linux-noob, so I don't know how to do what you told me here, care to explain it ?
sudo nano /etc/rc.local
(Enter this at the bottom, use the down arrow)
iecset audio on

Ctrl o, Enter, Ctrl X

Your done!
Thank you! I now have sound in XBMC and in stereo! I only had DD and DTS before.

/Tobias
I have the exact same problem. No stereo, just surround.

I tried "iecset audio on", but still can't hear stereo. Even inmediately after booting, no stereo.

XBMC 9.04.1
Ubuntu 9.04
Audigy SE (CA0106) using ALSA
Thanks guys "iecset audio on" worked for me.

Perhaps should have turned the volume down a bit before trying it though!