Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Question: Best Custom Zoom / Pixel Settings for DVD On 4.3 Screen
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've spent a considerable amount of time searching in general and on the forums, but can't zero in on the info im looking for...

Im running XBMC on my xbox, plugged into a 4.3 screen television

DVD,s ripped to avi/xvid format stretch perfectly to my 4.3 screen using the
Video Mode: Sretch 4.3 zoom option (ie no cropping occurs)

DVD's played directly with a widescreen ratio DO NOT zoom correctly using the
Video Mode: Sretch 4.3 zoom option (ie there is still black bars)

(note... the "crop black bars" option also crops the image too much on dvd playback)

I here you say...fine use the custom zoom/pixel ratio settings... well yes, I can tweak the DVD to fit my 4.3 screen by messing around with these custom settings. However herein lies my question...

Can someone tell me the optimum zoom/pixel ratio settings for a widescreen dvd to be stretched to fill my 4.3 screen WITHOUT cropping occurring?

For example Im currently watching Beyond the Poseidon Adventure on DVD and have the following custom settings...

Zoom Amount: 1.20
Pixel Ratio: 0.59

But again my question is, is there optimum settings that you know of?
If you want the video to fully fill the screen, you would only use the pixel ratio. If that does not fully fit the screen, it means the video is recorded with black bars top and bottom.I guess you could then use zoom. There wouldn't be settings that you can apply generally, because then you would be unable to watch "normal" 4:3 recorded videos. To fill the screen from 16:9 you need a pixel ratio of 0.56. Of course, that would make everyone appear toller,and skinnier, because you are streching the video. You could,as a non stretching alternative, use a little zoom, to make the black bars smaller, and give you some more viewing space. You can't use too much, because on fast moving scenes you might get dizzy, and on close-ups, and such, people might be off screen.