Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [HOWTO] use and keep modified keymappings after r21422
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi there,

guess i share my experience on that issue with you, since for me it was a bit irritating and others might feel the same.

from SVN r 21422 on, xbmc no longer uses keymap.xml when it finds splitted keymapping instructions in the newly invented xbmc/system/keymaps directory.

if you, like me, are one of those that used that file to bind some additional functions to buttons on your remote, you might want to keep that modifications even if you update xbmc.

the good news is: you can.

1. take a look into xbmc.log to see where "special://masterprofile/" points to. as i am on windows (7), mine is mapped to "C:\Users\azido\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata". an equivalent to this should exist on other OSes.

2. dive into that directory and create a new one called "keymaps" in there.

3. now put your modified keymapping file into that directory (in my example, i modified keyboard.xml since my remote sends "keystrokes").

4. that's it. from now on xbmc first loads the "default" one, then overwrites it with your modificated one.

5. you only need that one copy, regardless if you only have one profile or more.

i'm glad when this helps out someone.