Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Interrupting Music Library Scanning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I will soon find out because I have to interrupt the music library scanning. But I would like to know if it will resume where it left off if I scan the top level folder again?

I have 600+ GB of music I'm scanning over a SMB share, and after 6 hours it's maybe through 10% of it.
well pretty much answered my own question on this. it will start again but go through the parts it has already scanned much faster (though still not fast enough).
600gb? jeses, no quality control applied eh Wink
600gb is nothing, thats why i haven't botherd even lookin at putting music into library. Big Grin
ctawn: Make sure you have net based lookups OFF. That's what'll be slowing it down.

Also: Size in bytes is meaningless. It's raw number of files that is the only counter.

Last time I timed it, it did around 10 songs a second over smb while scanning with no 'net based lookups. They're what slows it down.

Cheers
Jonathan
Thanks again jm. you're right i should turn off net lookups then. will it then get the net info on the fly (later) if i start playing an album?

I did notice that it kept looking up the same artist for ever track, which doesn't make sense to me.

I have 128,731 tracks which i calculate based on your 10 files/second mark to be 3.5 hours. I'll turn it off and we'll see.

But I wish it kept track of the last scanned item and you could resume from that point, instead of starting from the first again (or optionally at least).
Yes - it does look for artists over and over, or at least it used to. I believe I reduced that a while back - which version are you running?

It doesn't scan again - all it does is check whether or not the folder has already been scanned - this is very fast (in comparison, ofcourse). It may look slow initially as there's actually 2 threads running - one to count the files, and the other to read folders. You'll notice as soon as the progress dialog pops up that things run much quicker.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Well, after several tries it fails to make it past about 30% of the scan. It has got stuck on a particular folder twice. I wouldn't say the application hangs, because you can still access the interface (though it is slow). But the scan won't progress and even if you stop it, the scan "window" doesn't go away. I tried playing through the entire album where it stopped in iTunes on my local machine and it plays just fine. I turned off all net fetching. (You asked which version, version 9.04.1 for Mac PPC on OS X 10.4.11.)
I bet my ass that you have some folders with fucked up read/write access. this happened to me a while ago also. Take a note of which folder it stops
at then check that folder for any bugs- usually if this happens i copy the files
over to a new fresh folder and delete the old one. Also make sure there is
no weird files in the folder.

Btw you collection will scan perfectly if you have tagged all your music
with correct id3 tags.

I scanned my entire collection of 1485 complete perfectly tagged albums in about 7min over 100Mb LAN.

Tag&Rename is the number one proggy to use on your collection Wink I have also embedded album art in all the ID3 tags so its quite fancy to scan to xbmc Smile

Dont ask me have much time i have used on my collection, but it's freakin to much time... Shocked
Well my collection is 10x your size by files (see above), and my ID3 tags are close to perfect. (been accused of being a tag nazi when I ran a file server years ago.)

My folder permissions & file permissions for the "trouble" folder are exactly the same as any other earlier in the file structure on that volume, that is: -rw-r--r-- (644) with me (and the account logging in thru SMB) the owner.
Have you tried copy the folder to a backup location and then try to
delete it with the same smb user as you have used in xbmc ?
And no weird files inside the trouble folders ?
Check the debug log first and foremost. Don't hypothesize.

Cheers,
Jonathan
will try the scan with debug log on tomorrow. but can you tell me where to find the log once it is on? (sorry) thanks.
see my signature "how to post about a problem...."
Thanks, Boxhead.

I am scanning now and will post results from log when it stops.

In the meantime may I suggest actually listing the paths to the log for each platform in that FAQ rather than just saying "normally"? There are not that many platforms.

for Mac it seems to be:
~/Library/Logs/xbmc.log

(Which is a great choice... can't imagine how anyone deals with an invisible path like the one you mention ;-)

More later on this...
Pages: 1 2