Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Song list display question (disc number field)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello good people,

This is my first post, so please forgive me if my question has been asked before. I did some searching, but I couldn't find an answer.

My question is: can I use the disc number field in ID tags to list my music files? I use it often with multi-discs albums, like operas for instance, so that I can put all the files in the same directory. This way, I just start the music and it plays continuously until the end. The problem is that with the regular naming scheme, the files get listed by their track number only, which puts all the #1 tracks together, then the #2, then #3, etc. Very annoying when you want to listen to Madama Butterfly. If I could just use the filename instead of a naming scheme (i.e. %N. %A-%T) in the options, that would be just fine, but if there is a "%X" code for disc numbers, that would be even better. Is there a way to use non-listed tag fields in the naming schemes? I know it seems obvious, but when you don't know it, you have to ask...

Thanks a lot!
XBMC by default sorts according to disk number and then track number, assuming you have id3 tag reading enabled. It uses the TPOS field.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Thanks for the input, but the ID3 tag option is enabled, and xbmc sorts the files by the track number only... What's a TPOS field? It doesn't come up in Google.

I guess I'll have to renumber my tracks or put them in separate folders. Easy job with Foobar, but it'd be nice to leave them as they are now.

Sad
TPOS == id3 tag used for disk number. It sounds like you're using something non-standard (at least not supported by XBMC, which is generally standards-compliant where possible).

Foobar2000 should put it in correctly I should think - are we not dealing with mp3's?

Cheers,
Jonathan
Mainly MP3s and OGGs, maybe some M4As. Honestly, I never saw xbmc sort those multidisc sets correctly. It's like it didn't see that field at all. Shouldn't I change the track naming scheme in music configuration menu? "[%N.]%A-%T" should become "[%X][%N.]%A-%T" where %X would be the code for disc number. (Which I don't know.)

That said, with the ID3 option turned off, the tracks are sorted correctly because my filenames include the disc number. But, I'm sure you people like to run a tidy ship! It would be nice to get this option right. Does it work correctly on your machine?

BTW xbmc is a fantastic software! I just have a few things to set correctly.
Ofcourse it works correctly - possibly only in library mode though, as that's the only mode that we actually have the control to sort by track number. If not, a %S will do the trick.

Cheers,
Jonathan