Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: RSS Feed scroll speed control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to have 2 different RSS feed running on the home menu, got everything up and running the only problem is that i want the feeds to scroll at a different speed so it will be easier to read, i tried to use <scrollspeed> tag but it looks like it has no effect - is this at all possible?

thanks
The <scrollspeed> tag should work just fine in the rss control (obviously in the control, not the feed definition).
This is what my control looks like:

Code:
<control type="rss" id="2">
  <posx>110</posx>
  <posy>3</posy>
  <width>1170</width>
  <visible>true</visible>
  <font>Font_BigRSS</font>
  <include>Colour_RSS</include>
  <urlset>2</urlset>
  <include>Animation_CommonFade</include>
  <visible>Skin.HasSetting(bighome)</visible>
  <scrollspeed>80</scrollspeed>
</control>
it says in the wiki that if no tag then it uses defaults of 60 pixels per second, so one part of my rss - home_rss don't have the scroll tag but the second part - home_rss2 has it in all 3 controls, do i have to use it in both or it should work as is?
sorry to bump this but i really can't find a soltion, here is a small video showing both rss feeds running at exactly the same speed - where i want the top one to run faster then the buttom or the other way around:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56bcHRZ4AWY
What does your entire RssFeeds.xml file look like? I note:

Quote:<control type="rss" id="2">

Do you actually have a set 2?

edit:

by the way -- where ARE you supposed to put that <control> xml block? I just tried to put it at the top of the RssFeeds.xml file, but that does not work -- at least in the MediaStream skin. In the end, I edited the existing <control> block in the Home.xml file in the actual MediaStream / 720 p section of the XBMC application package itself. No doubt a very BAD place to need to edit that. But it works there. Must be a better place.
ctawn Wrote:What does your entire RssFeeds.xml file look like? I note:

Do you actually have a set 2?

edit:

by the way -- where ARE you supposed to put that <control> xml block? I just tried to put it at the top of the RssFeeds.xml file, but that does not work -- at least in the MediaStream skin. In the end, I edited the existing <control> block in the Home.xml file in the actual MediaStream / 720 p section of the XBMC application package itself. No doubt a very BAD place to need to edit that. But it works there. Must be a better place.

yes i do have set 2 - it's a different url set - running on the bottom line in the video, this is whant my rssfeeds.xml looks like:

Code:
<rssfeeds>
  <!-- RSS feeds. To have multiple feeds, just add a feed to the set. You can also have multiple sets.     !-->
  <!-- To use different sets in your skin, each must be called from skin with a unique id.                 !-->
  <set id="1">
    <feed updateinterval="30">http://www.ynet.co.il/Integration/StoryRss1854.xml</feed>
  </set>
   <set id="2">
    <feed updateinterval="30">http://www.calcalist.co.il/integration/StoryRss184.xml</feed>
  </set>
</rssfeeds>

in aeon it's in the Includes_Furniture.xml
ok then where did you put the <control> block?
ctawn Wrote:ok then where did you put the <control> block?

in the Includes_Furniture.xml in the 720p folder of the aeon skin, this is what it looks like - this is the buttom one:

Code:
    <include name="Furniture_HomeRSS2">
        <control type="group">
            <posx>21</posx>
            <posy>441</posy>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>57</height>
            <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(lowerrss) + system.getbool(lookandfeel.enablerssfeeds) + !Control.HasFocus(325)</visible>
            <animation effect="slide" start="0,0" end="0,225" time="400" tween="cubic" easing="inout" condition="Skin.HasSetting(lowermainmenu)">Conditional</animation>
            <include>Animation_OpenCloseZoom</include>
            <include>Animation_VisibleChange200</include>

<control type="image">
                <posx>54</posx>
                <posy>0</posy>
                <width>1253</width>
                <height>57</height>
                <texture>common/rssbar_mid.png</texture>
                <animation type="Conditional" condition="Skin.HasSetting(bighome)">
                    <effect type="slide" start="0,1" end="0,1" time="0" />
                    <effect type="zoom" start="125" end="125" time="0" />
                </animation>
            </control>

<posx>110</posx>
                <posy>4</posy>
                <width>1170</width>
                <visible>true</visible>
                <font>Font_RSS</font>
                <urlset>2</urlset>
                <scrollspeed>30</scrollspeed>
                <visible>!Skin.HasSetting(bighome)</visible>
            </control>

<posx>110</posx>
                <posy>3</posy>
                <width>1170</width>
                <visible>true</visible>
                <font>Font_BigRSS</font>
                <urlset>2</urlset>
                <visible>Skin.HasSetting(bighome)</visible>
            </control>

<control type="image">
                <posx>77</posx>
                <posy>0</posy>
                <width>133</width>
                <height>27</height>
                <texture>common/rssbar_mid_fade.png</texture>
                <colordiffuse>e3FFFFFF</colordiffuse>                
                    <effect type="slide" start="0,1" end="0,1" time="0" />
                </animation>
            </control>                

</control>

<control type="group">
            <posx>0</posx>
            <posy>664</posy>
            <width>1280</width>
            <height>57</height>
            <visible>Skin.HasSetting(lowerrss) + system.getbool(lookandfeel.enablerssfeeds) + !Control.HasFocus(325)</visible>
                <effect type="slide" start="0,-181" end="0,-181" time="0" />
            </animation>
            <control type="image">
                <posx>54</posx>
                <posy>0</posy>
                <width>1253</width>
                <height>57</height>
                <texture flipy="true">common/rssbar_mid.png</texture>
            </control>

<posx>110</posx>
                <posy>34</posy>
                <width>1280</width>
                <visible>true</visible>
                <font>Font_RSS</font>
                <urlset>2</urlset>
            </control>

<control type="image">
                <posx>77</posx>
                <posy>30</posy>
                <width>133</width>
                <height>27</height>
                <texture flipy="true">common/rssbar_mid_fade.png</texture>
            </control>                

</control>
    </include>
I opened up PM3.HD's Home.xml.

Added <scrollspeed>1000</scrollspeed>

Away it went as fast as I'd expect it to.

Your speeds are probably just too close to each other: We round the speed to a multiple of half a pixel per frame movement (eg 60fps, 100 pixels/sec is probably gonna actually do 90 pixels/sec) to ensure that fonts are rendered as optimally as possible.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:I opened up PM3.HD's Home.xml.

Added <scrollspeed>1000</scrollspeed>

Away it went as fast as I'd expect it to.

Your speeds are probably just too close to each other: We round the speed to a multiple of half a pixel per frame movement (eg 60fps, 100 pixels/sec is probably gonna actually do 90 pixels/sec) to ensure that fonts are rendered as optimally as possible.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for your reply, could you please post a code snip of your home.xml as i think i;m trying to do it in the wrong place... i tried do it with 300 px but saw no difference
so jmarshall -- the answer is that you DO have to put this line in the Home.xml of your skin and WITHIN your application package, is that correct? There's no way to put this somewhere within your userdata? So if you upgrade XBMC you need to repeat this mod?

If so, this is not explained in the wiki page for RSS feed Control.

I can confirm that it works doing it this way with the Media Stream skin's Home.xml file but this is not ideal. It would make much more sense if any <control> block could be put in RssFeeds.xml instead, which would over-ride anything defined by the skin.
All I did is added <scrollspeed>1000</scrollspeed> into the <control type="rss"> block in Home.xml, yes.

RSS Control page already has details about <scrollspeed>

Note: I've just had a look at the rounding stuff, and it doesn't appear to be in use anymore, so any change might actually be OK. Start with a huge number (1000 is good) to ensure you have it right!

Also, note that the speed of the control should certainly be something that the skinner specifies - it's a presentation aspect. The user provides the content (which feed(s) to display) instead.

Cheers,
Jonathan
jmarshall Wrote:All I did is added <scrollspeed> ... block in Home.xml, yes.

Just pointing out this is not documented on the wiki page or anywhere else. It is far from obvious where this block should go.

jmarshall Wrote:Also, note that the speed of the control should certainly be something that the skinner specifies - it's a presentation aspect.

in my humble opinion, any valid xml block in any matching file (by name) present in the userdata folder should over-ride the settings in the application package. That way one can update the application without keeping track of and reapplying all changes. just my two cents.
Quote:Just pointing out this is not documented on the wiki page or anywhere else. It is far from obvious where this block should go.

Um, sure it is. It's sitting right there in the XML tags that this control can take on the page that you linked to above.

Quote:in my humble opinion, any valid xml block in any matching file (by name) present in the userdata folder should over-ride the settings in the application package. That way one can update the application without keeping track of and reapplying all changes. just my two cents.
That completely breaks when the skinner changes that XML file in some non-trivial manner (such as moving said block around). There is no simple solution to this full stop. After all, that's why manual merging is still required on occasion when using SVN, CVS or git.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Pages: 1 2