Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live or Ubuntu/Linux installation given these usage requirements?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As a 1 Year XBMC Windows user, I have recently purchased a Asrock ION 330, and plan to move over to Linux in order to utilize the Hardware assisted video rendering. Since I don't have any experience using Linux, a XBMC Live installation seems tempting.

These are my XBMC usage patterns:

- I frequently upgrade to latest XBMC SVN's in order to utilize new features in SVN's
- I frequently install new skins / skin versions
- GUI performance/instant key-press response is important for me.
- I use a Logitech Dinovo Edge keyboard (bluetooth dongle)
- I am a fanart junkie and am obsessed with uploading local fanart.jpg files both for my music and video colletion:-)

Will a XBMC Live installation on HDD satisfy these requirements or should I go for a minimal Ubuntu + Linux installation?
I have been reading a lot about these two alternatives from this forum, but as of now, I am a bit unsure what is the best solution for me, so any advice is highly appreciated

Thanks!
Install Ubuntu - you'll save a lot of headaches!
I`m a long time Windows user and before last week had never touched Linux. I purchased the Asrock ION 330 to replace my AppleTV and was also unsure of the best way to get XBMC on to it. In the end I followed this tutorial:-

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54705

Everything worked perfectly first time and I`m loving it. I`m using the Transparency! skin and it looks great. The Asrock is a great little machine that so far has played everything I`ve tried.
Excellent, thanks! I'm getting my box on wednesday, so I guess I'll try following this tutorial! I'm also planning on using the Transparency! skin which is my current favorite, so I'm glad to hear this works well on this box!

Again, thanks Big Grin