Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX/LIVE] 100% CPU usage when scrolling through movies?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've posted in another thread about the XBMC interface being a bit "laggy" but upon further investigation (eg. Debug Mode) I see that my CPU is maxxing at 100% usage when I scroll through my movies! (espicially in Cover Flow mode in PM3 or any mode in Aeon)

Furthermore, XBMC is showing my hardware information like this:
Quote:CPU: Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40 GHz
CPU temperature: ?
CPU speed: 1600.00MHz
CPU Usage: CPU0: 12.6% CPU1: 0.0%

Total memory: 1949 MB
Free memory: 1820 MB

XBMC pre-9.10 r22146 (Compiled: Aug 13 2009)

Why does it say CPU speed is 1600.00 MHz? It's actually 2400.00 MHz. (C2D E6600)

Here are my logs:

log w/debug mode
log w/debug while scrolling in movies
log w/o debug mode

This problem exists in both XBMC Live 9.04.1 and Ubuntu 9.04 installed by me (aka XBMCbuntu).

Movies play fine although they use about 25% CPU even with VDPAU which I think is a bit high (it should only be 1-10%, right?)

Please help!
Looks like it may have something to do with http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56286. Try reverting the commit I mention and see if the problem persists.
I've installed r22118 and I still have the same 100% CPU when scrolling through cover flow (and many other things) Sad

I found something else though. The Hardware Information shows "CPU speed: 2400.00MHz" when I first start XBMC and then once I enter the Movies/Cover-Flow and go back to Hardware Information, the CPU speed will have changed to be "CPU speed: 1600.00MHz". Maybe that's Intel's SpeedStep technology or whatever (eg. dynamically adjusting speed to conserve power).

Anyways, I don't think that helps my initial problem though. Sad
I've just retested the XBMC Live 9.04.1 disc and I have the exact same problem (100% CPU when scrolling through the cover flow of the default skin)
What does the CPU look like while on the non-coverflow menu?

I noticed that all menus are using high %sy cpu (system/kernel usage). Which makes me think it's something to do with the video driver (kernel modules for rendering) or how the menu system is interacting with the modules.

Go to the home screen and let it sit then log in remotely and run 'top' -- press the '1' key to get it to list all cores and see if the %sy column is abnormally high.
Thanks for the reply!

At the main menu, xbmc.bin reports about 11% CPU and top shows around 1.0% sy.

Inside the cover flow, not scrolling, XBMC shows 17% CPU and top shows about the same thing (1%).

When scrolling the cover flow, if I scroll very slowly XBMC hits about 30% CPU and sy is about 2%.

Once I start scrolling any faster than "very slow" the XBMC (CPU) jumps to 75% or higher, but sy only ever hits at most 10% or so.
Was that just one core? I noticed that the high %sy usage would jump between the cores.

In top press '1' to show both cores (SHIFT+W while top is running will write that to your top config so you don't have to keep doing it)
Actually, one core was usually at 0% (%sy) and the other was at 2%, or 10%, or whatever. It never went above 10% and the other core was almost always at 0%.

I've tried the XBMC Live 8.10 disc, and for some reason it shows 75% (%sy) even while sitting at the menus. However, I'm using XBMCbuntu (and XBMC Live 9.04.1) so 8.10 doesn't really bother me.
BTW - the fix for my high idle CPU was adding these lines into my xorg.conf (and restarting X)

Under the device section:
Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
Option "TexturedVideo" "on"

This is for ATI HD3200 with 9.8 driver.
Thanks a bunch!

However, I'm using an nVidia 9400 (onboard) so I don't think those will work for me but I'll try.
@ sofaking.

I had the same problem a while back. The solution is to put

Quote:<thumbsize>400</thumbsize>

in advancedsettings.xml, then delete the contents of /home/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata/Thumbnails/Video. Then restart xbmc, go into movies and xbmc will re-cache all the thumbs. This will offer a huge performance increase and less cpu. Hope this helps.

cheers.
Ahhhhh! I'd bet that's the problem!

I'm using the IMDB scrapper and had the thumb size (not sure what it was referring to) set at the max of 1024.

I wonder if that's the same setting you're talking about?

That would explain the slowdown at least...
Hello,

I followed the suggestion with the removal of the cached thumbs. But XBMC doesn't re-cache my poster, but creates a thumb for each movie of its own.

Is there a way to get my movie posters back or do I have to reset the library?
Yeah, same here. It didn't seem to regenerate any of the thumbnails or posters, etc. Sad