Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Zotac ION N330 - no wlan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hoping someone can help me here. I'm just setting up my Zotac ION N330 based system using Live, however when I go to Settings > Network, I'm shown 'interface disabled' for wlan0.

The board did come with the wlan card and I've attached the antenna.

Any suggestions?
Have a look in BIOS, in my the pci-e mini card was set as "disabled" on default.
mm, but has the wifi config been fixed lately otherwise it does not work. Something about permissions.
You will have to configure it manually.
(or with network-manager if you add gnome)
Frozone Wrote:Have a look in BIOS, in my the pci-e mini card was set as "disabled" on default.

This is a bit odd - can't even see this anywhere in the BIOS - which tab should it be under?
vikjon0 Wrote:mm, but has the wifi config been fixed lately otherwise it does not work. Something about permissions.
You will have to configure it manually.
(or with network-manager if you add gnome)

Just to confirm. Network configuration from XBMC is not working without starting XBMC as root. NetworkManager Branch is meant to fix this but the work is slow from my side as work is taking to much time, perhaps during the fall.
Frozone Wrote:Have a look in BIOS, in my the pci-e mini card was set as "disabled" on default.

I enabled mine, but I am having no luck. It is still disabled - was your install a full ubuntu and xbmc ontop?
I didnĀ“t try. Because I am using lan. But I saw this in the BIOS so i thought maybe it will help.
Please read again
Quote:Just to confirm. Network configuration from XBMC is not working without starting XBMC as root. NetworkManager Branch is meant to fix this but the work is slow from my side as work is taking to much time, perhaps during the fall.
vikjon0 Wrote:Please read again

Ok I guess I don't get it then. How do I go starting XBMC as root then?
I have got my wireless going to some degree, seems to timeout when I let the xbmc go to screensaver - not fully investigated yet.

The full description can be found in this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=390...stcount=69

From this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=56217

Here is the wireless exert:

Install required applications:

Code:
sudo apt-get install network-manager
sudo apt-get install wireless-tools

Configure files:
I kinda followed this guide, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=263136, but this is what I did:

1) Open a terminal window and type:

Code:
wpa_passphrase your_ssid your_psk

Note: your_ssid is the name of your wireless network (a.k.a. SSID) and your_psk is the password you want to use to protect your network. (Look below for an example).

2) Now copy the psk string you got as output.

3) Type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

Then paste this as follow:

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2

network={
       ssid="your_ssid"
       scan_ssid=1
       proto=WPA RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP
       psk=your_psk
}

Note: your_psk is the psk string you got from step 1.

Here is an example:

Code:
luca@laptop1:~$ wpa_passphrase mywlan thisisthepassword
network={
        ssid="mywlan"
        #psk="thisisthepassword"
        psk=b22ec921c254c73f99b31b76ff876692ecde36839a1f2d92150829e6afcb5515
}

The psk string is what you have to paste into /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf as your_psk. So you'll have something like this:

Code:
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
#ap_scan=2

network={
       ssid="mywlan"
       scan_ssid=1
       proto=WPA RSN
       key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
       pairwise=CCMP TKIP
       group=CCMP TKIP
       psk=b22ec921c254c73f99b31b76ff876692ecde36839a1f2d92150829e6afcb5515

4) Save the file and close nano.

5) Now we have to make wpa_supplicant load when system boots, so go back to the terminal window and type:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces

6) Add the following lines in the part regarding your wireless card, as in the example below (I removed the W from the guide, didn't like it - not sure what it did anyway):

Code:
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Note: "wlan0" is your wireless device and "wext" is the driver; this is a kind of generic driver, so it should work with most wireless cards. If it doesn't, please try another driver, such as hostap, ndiswrapper, etc.
Here is an example:

Code:
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid my_essid
pre-up wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
post-down killall -q wpa_supplicant

Then I had to rebooted with my ethernet disconnected and all was good.

However I still have a couple of issues, HD playback 720p and up, is not smooth - I don't know if this is cause I am playing it on a non-HD TV and it is downscaling? I would appreciate if someone could provide information about specific configuration/drivers for HD playback.

Also I have noted, when the XBMC box is left untouched for some period - like the screensaver time, the wifi seems to shutoff.... any ideas? I will have to investigate more myself.
It now seems that I can ping out of my box to my network, but I can't ping into it. Any ideas?
Bump

I would really like to resolve this issue, because without the WIFI working successfully; I cannot use my iPhone as a remote, I cannot remotely update the system, and I think it removes some of the portability of the device.
Ok still looking for help on this, but getting a little closer. I noticed that I am unable to ping any of my wireless laptops. Now they are EEE PC 1000HE, which I believe uses the same, if not similar, hardware as the Zotac ION board. So it appears I may have problems pinging a N network device over a G network - although it is using G (cause it is backward compatible)

Now the extra added problem may be, I am using tomato on my buffalo router. Any thoughts/ideas? I am going to try and make my laptops G only... see if I can anyway.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:Ok still looking for help on this, but getting a little closer. I noticed that I am unable to ping any of my wireless laptops. Now they are EEE PC 1000HE, which I believe uses the same, if not similar, hardware as the Zotac ION board. So it appears I may have problems pinging a N network device over a G network - although it is using G (cause it is backward compatible)

Now the extra added problem may be, I am using tomato on my buffalo router. Any thoughts/ideas? I am going to try and make my laptops G only... see if I can anyway.
how do you KNOW that it's running in compatibility mode though, and not Pure-N? just because a controller might be A/B/G/N/Gammaray doesn't mean that it's running in mixed mode operation. I know in windows at least you can change most cards to operate in say, B/G or B-only / G only... also...why would you want to try and stream HD videos over 54Mbps AT BEST network? gigabit or nothing is how it should be. At the very least pure N network to get maybe 100-150Mbps speed.
I know it is using G because that is what my network is using, it is only capable of B/G. As for if it is running in mixed compatibility mode, I have no idea if the device is, but the router is set to B/G.

As for streaming HD, there are no problems streaming a single HD source over wireless G. HD uses around 33Mbps, so G is fine. I know this for a couple of reasons - I can stream a 1080p movie to my new device - and I have an HD Silicon Homerun, which allows upto 3 HD streams on one 100Mbps wired network, I don't have gigabit lan in my home.
Pages: 1 2 3