Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDPAU only working on mkv files?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, i'm using the latest SVN build on XBMCLive. I've noticed that VDPAU is only working when i play mkv files, is this normal? why can't i use it whith other filetypes?

regards,
mkv is a container, it has nothing to do with it, demuxing still happens on the CPU. The supported codecs are listed on the wikipedia article for VDPAU. Something along the lines of mpeg1/2, h264, vc1 and wmv3/9. Theres no sense decoding xvid et. al. in HW, it's too easy for the CPU to do.
thanks for repling althekiller, i know that mkv it's just a container, but i also have 720p Xvid AVI files and they do not decode using VDPAU...
althekiller Wrote:Theres no sense decoding xvid et. al. in HW, it's too easy for the CPU to do.

Did you read this?
Is there even hardware support for decoding xvid on gpu? Don't think so.
fidoboy Wrote:thanks for repling althekiller, i know that mkv it's just a container, but i also have 720p Xvid AVI files and they do not decode using VDPAU...

Codecs with VDPAU offloading to GPU

MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), VC-1, WMV3, WMV9

Do you see Xvid listed there Rolleyes
Seeing as how my atom n230 decodes xvid with ac3 at 7% cpu, spending the time, money and resources to implement an xvid decoder in HW seems pretty cost prohibitive from a GPU vendor's standpoint.