Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Experiences with nvidia 190.* beta?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I searched through the forum but didn't find anything definitive.

I'd like to know if anyone is using the nvidia 190.18 beta driver with XBMC (and which svn version). I see that they have fixed the corruption at the bottom of the screen while playing vc-1 files, so I'd like to update, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone has been having any problems with it first.

TIA
I've been using 190.18.03 since it was made available from the Launchpad nvidia-vdpau PPA on the 4th August with XBMC SVN #22097 and onwards with no problems.

(deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main)
kurai Wrote:I've been using 190.18.03 since it was made available from the Launchpad nvidia-vdpau PPA on the 4th August with XBMC SVN #22097 and onwards with no problems.

(deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/nvidia-vdpau/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main)

does 190.18.03 require a certain version of XBMC to be installed? I tried with 21936, and its giving me dependancy errors.

Code:
(T: XBMCLive)xbmc@XBMCLive:~$ sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-190
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  nvidia-glx-185: Conflicts: nvidia-glx
  nvidia-glx-190: Depends: nvidia-190-kernel-source (>= 190.18.03) but it is not                               going to be installed
                  Depends: nvidia-190-libvdpau (>= 190.18.03) but it is not goin                              g to be installed
                  Conflicts: nvidia-glx
                  Conflicts: nvidia-glx-185 but 185.18.31-0ubuntu1~ppa1 is to be                               installed
  xbmc-standalone: Depends: xbmc-common (= 9.04.2+svn22290-jaunty1) but 9.04.2+s                              vn21936-jaunty1 is to be installed
                   Depends: xbmc-skin-pm3-hd (= 9.04.2+svn22290-jaunty1) but 9.0                              4.2+svn21936-jaunty1 is to be installed

i have 185.something.13 installed right now i believe.
I think that means that you have to uninstall the 185 driver before installing the 190, it says that there's a conflict with nvidia-glx-185, so I suggest removing the previous nvidia driver completely before installing 190.
One thing is, don't use 190.25. Driver is broken and won't allow you to compile XBMC. Stick with 190.18... Works fine.
I'm using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-190.18-pkg1.run from nvidia.com and xbmc from /team-xbmc/ppa/ubuntu/ - works fine in ION
I've had problems with drivers newer than 185.18.14 and S-Video. None of them give a signal once X starts, so it looks like I'm stuck with 185.18.14 until I get my HDTV.

My desktop has been running fine with the 190 beta drivers.
tslayer Wrote:One thing is, don't use 190.25. Driver is broken and won't allow you to compile XBMC.

answer from Nvidia
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=138016

Quote:This is probably related to the unresolved symbol problem in /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1. It will be fixed in the next release, so please try that when it comes out.

Before anyone asks, no, I can't give an estimate of when that will be.
190.32 has been released - I hope that bug has been fixed in it
tslayer Wrote:One thing is, don't use 190.25. Driver is broken and won't allow you to compile XBMC. Stick with 190.18... Works fine.

Never noticed, I compile on an entirely different system than I have xbmc installed on. >.>
Goga777 Wrote:190.32 has been released - I hope that bug has been fixed in it

Users should be able to compile xbmc with this version or so I read in a nvidia forum.

Quote:Added support for IgnoreEDIDChecksum X configuration option, which can be used to force the X driver to accept the EDID of a display device even when the checksum is invalid. Please see the README IgnoreEDIDChecksum description for a caution and details of use.
Added support for configuring the GPU's fan speed; see the "Coolbits" X configuration option in the README.
Fixed a bug in VDPAU that could cause visible corruption near the bottom edge of the picture when decoding VC-1 simple/main profile clips whose heights are not exact multiples of 16 pixels, on GPUs with VDPAU feature set A.
On GPUs with VDPAU feature set C, VDPAU now supports decoding MPEG-4 Part 2, DivX 4, and DivX 5 video. The VDPAU API has been enhanced to expose this feature.
On GPUs with VDPAU feature set C, VDPAU now supports a higher quality video scaling algorithm. The VDPAU API has been enhanced to expose this feature.

Only really effects newer GPU's. ION's are uneffected. Thats quite disapointing although ive never really had trouble playing DivX and MPEG-4p2 without VDAPU.
Dunno if you've had enough "no problems" yet, but I have been running 190.18 fresh from NVidia's site for a while now (bout a month? I think) and have had no problems. Will try 190.32 soon, but there seem to be no real improvements for most of us on that one - just a feature enabling for brand new VDPAU stuff on low-power chips like mobiles.
Been using 190.32 for a day or two now - no ill effects to report - looks like the problems created by 190.25 have been sorted.
I spoke too soon Stare

Although the compile issue is fixed 190.32 gives me the same suspend/resume problem that 190.25 did.
(i.e. won't *stay* suspended - does an immediate resume)

Back to 190.18.03 for me.
190.32 updated the other night with most recent working ppa and all works well...courtesy of sudo apt-get update/upgrade
Pages: 1 2