Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: easiest remote option?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all... after a lot of research here and other places, tooing and froing from htpc/nmt's/hdd media players etc, have finally decided on an asrock ion to use for xbmc, thus saying farewell to my trusty old orig xbox/xbmc combo - need the HiDef vids.

Been doing a lot of reading, and have probably missed the answer to what i'm about to ask, but i'll ask anyways.

What's the most painless remote/ir usb combo to get?
Not too fussed on cost (within reason) or brand, don't need any universal options either, just want it to control the new asrock xbmc build, with minimal messing about - and preferably no messing about - read, plug in, and it works Smile

Mainly looking for the easy way out coz of the wifey...

thanks in advance
simon.
The philips RC197 is working exactly as the no longer availeble MCE remote.
I hope it is still available.

My experience is that it is the IR dongle that is the problem. E.g. I have a pinnacle that I got with a TV card. The dongle is not recognized by linux but the remote is a MCE clone and works with both the MCE & the Philips receiver.
I've been incredibly happy with my IguanaWorks IR transceiver. It's a bit pricey ($40 USD), but it's much more responsive than any other receiver I've used. The directions on the web site had me up and running in no time, and I can use any remote I want with it.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

With both of you putting emphasis on the dongle, it got me thinking, i do have the original xbox remote and ir dongle, would i be better suited to hack the dongle to USB, and use that? Will that combination be 'hassle free'? Or alternatively, as Daveisadork mentioned, use the IguanaWorks IR with the xbox remote?

I had a quick look around online for the philips, unfortunately, it looks like it might be a needle in a haystack, it looks good though, so i'll definitely keep an eye out for one.

In my travels looking for the philips, i came across other remotes:
eg- HAUPPAUGE MCE MEDIA CENTER & XBOX 360 REMOTE CONTROL, with receiver...i think that should work out of the box, if i'm not mistaken?

cheers
I got this one... I plugged it in before I installed, and after the install it worked as it should Smile doesn't get any easier...

-Erik
burritoboy9984 Wrote:I got this one... I plugged it in before I installed, and after the install it worked as it should Smile doesn't get any easier...

-Erik

Awesome, I like the sound of that...and the price is great too!
Thanks for the heads up Erik.