Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC movie / tv stocking question...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All around random questions that have been popping in and out of my head as I begin ripping my 400+ movie and can't count the number of different seasons we have. All the treks (okay not the animated series but other than that yea all), all the stargates, all the CSI (missing a few seasons of NY iirc), all the xfiles, all the buffy, all the angel, all the .. well you get the gist.

I'm still learning so if this post is in any way inappropriate or in the wrong forum please accept my apology it wasn't intentional. I've done quite a bit of reading here (in the forums) and search out questions that might already have answers but some of the 'hits' I did get were from quite a while ago and I'm learning very quickly, what was once the right answer is now the wrong answer thanks to the hard working developers constantly striving to improve the code.

My plans:

Movies:

Movies ripped as full DVD (menus and all)... with TB drives going for under $100 (or close to it) storage isn't an issue.

TV:

TV, not quite sure... open to suggestions but I'd like to try and get the content over to the XBMC "quicker with more quality" rather than "compression and less quality"**

**Also, compressing is slower if you want the BEST quality.

If anyone has any comments on my approach I'd love to hear them!

Oh and one last question... How do you guys deal with 'bonus content' disc's? (extra features) the few I've tried (the bonus disc from the alien box set and the bonus disc from the godfather box set both don't get recognized as anything well nothing remotely resembling what they actually are. Big Grin

The use of subfolders inside the Movie directory.

Is this possible?

For example:

FSROOT --> XBMC --> Movies --> The Godfather

So instead of showing all the individual The Godfather movies in the 'main movie list' they would all be in he subfolder. I think I tried doing this once but XBMC acted kinda weird it displayed my new "The Godfather" folder and then as I entered it it showed all the godfather movies and then if I stepped back out of that "The Godfather" folder all the movies were back in the main list again and my subfolder wasn't shown. All the movies were safe and the structure on the HD didn't change... (my "The Godfather" was still there and still contained the movies).

TIA all info more than welcome!!

Dave
What platform we talking here for XBMC.. LINUX, MAC, Windows or Xbox?
What are your internal network speeds (10/100, 10/100/1000, 802.11a,b,g,n)
If storage isn't an option and you have a fairly fast system... my recommendation is a direct DVD rip and store it as an ISO file.. XBMC is very good at mounting ISOs just like it is the real dvd in the drive, so it will function just like the originals with the same quality (unless you use dvdshrink and use the compression option to downsize the files to fit onto a 4.7gb disc)
Numus Wrote:What platform we talking here for XBMC.. LINUX, MAC, Windows or Xbox?
What are your internal network speeds (10/100, 10/100/1000, 802.11a,b,g,n)
If storage isn't an option and you have a fairly fast system... my recommendation is a direct DVD rip and store it as an ISO file.. XBMC is very good at mounting ISOs just like it is the real dvd in the drive, so it will function just like the originals with the same quality (unless you use dvdshrink and use the compression option to downsize the files to fit onto a 4.7gb disc)

Yea.. Gb Ethernet, N Wireless, OS X is my preferred OS but I can dual/tri boot my intel boxes into any one of the 'big 3'. Tho the current state of my Windows and Linux leave MUCH to be desired and I really should just redo those before I consider using them in any serious way.

But ISO is the best method for movies.... good to know.... I've just been doing rips to folders at the moment simply because the ripper I'm testing out now doesn't have a rip to ISO feature. Nor does it have a way to rip single episodes from my TV Season dvd's... and I think thats something that I'm gonna have to do if I want the TV listings to behave the way I want... I've read somewhere I can leave the season dvds in tact and just put ??markers?? for each individual episode but someone said the two problems with that are:

1 - Those ??markers?? can get lost if you have problems with your db (??)

2 - Each of the episodes on the same dvd will have to have the same cover art/fan-art.??

Question marks abound simply because I can't at the moment find the thread where I read those statements so the terms I'm using and problems I'm indicating might not be exactly correct (other readers DO NOT take what I'm writing here as 100% fact.. its not... well it might be but don't take just my word on it... lol lol

Also... what are you DVD junkies doing with 'Extras DVDs' -- excluding them or do you have a good way for them to be correctly scraped or do you just input the information manually and be done with it?

Almost forgot! Thanks Numus for the input! Smile

Dave
For TV episodes I use DVDShrink with 0 compression and rip each episode to its own .ISO file then change the name to something like Stargate Atlantis - S01E01-E02 - The Rising. That way each epsiode has its own synopsis and artwork displayed in XBMC.