Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: bold font for xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As you probably see when you are using font bold (4x3) .You can choose bold on version Transparency!-v1.99b.That they are to big and don't fit the background is known.
I made this bold font so it would be readably for xbox users.

ronie Wrote:.Transparency! (or better, PM3.HD) wasn't designed for 4x3 screens, so it won't look good on those screens even if you enlarge the font. however all of the things you've mentioned can be fixed, it's just a matter of modifying some of the xml files.if someone is willing to code and maintain a 4x3 version of the skin, i'd be happy to include it in Transparency!

But somebody else need to modified it and let the letters fit the background probably either making it menu scroll or making menus wider.Or give me some directions howI need to change things.I am reading the skin tutorial of xbmc wiki ,but I have most of the time no clue which xml files I need to change.

I will make some screenshots tomorrow where the problems occur and make some suggestion where it need to scroll or make a menu wider.
this is a screenshot from home window.Sometimes date doesn't fit probably.I know how to fix this in home.xml

context menu: this menu need to be wider or scroll.This screenshot is from pictures.But it's the same problem on video,music and programs

This is the menu that you get when you play a video and get an option to resume or start from the beginning.need to be wider or scroll

This is screenshot of settings>music>library.Need able to scroll when It doesn't fit correctly.

this is screenshot from settings>skin settings>backgrounds as you can see the first 2 lines don't fit.This need to be able to scroll.

this is a screenshot from the timelabel.This menu needs to be wider

this seem to be mostly a localisation problem apart from the first screen shot every thing fits fine in English with the 4.3 font enabled. some other stuff dosen't fit but I don't no how it can be rectified without messing up the skin for those running 720p. Could conditional includes based on language and or resolution ie 4.3 be usedHuh
marlboroman1 Wrote:this seem to be mostly a localisation problem apart from the first screen shot every thing fits fine in English with the 4.3 font enabled. some other stuff dosen't fit but I don't no how it can be rectified without messing up the skin for those running 720p. Could conditional includes based on language and or resolution ie 4.3 be usedHuh

I tried also other language and English (from what I tested) needs by far less characters for words than any other language.But I want something that fits all language.

On Project Mayhem III you can see different folders for resolution.So this will not effect 720p folder .Anatomy of a Skin.And depending on your settings it will choose the right resolution .Please correct me if I am wrong.Also I made this font for xbox users and there is a different version of Transparency! for xbox.Are there any other non xbox xbmc users that like this bold 4x3 font?
tikkiew Wrote:I tried also other language and English (from what I tested) needs by far less characters for words than any other language.But I want something that fits all language.

On Project Mayhem III you can see different folders for resolution.So this will not effect 720p folder .Anatomy of a Skin.And depending on your settings it will choose the right resolution .Please correct me if I am wrong.

nope, you're right.
i haven't tried it myself, but as far as i know that's the way it should work.
you could just add a few modified xml files in a 'PAL' folder and the problems for 4x3 users should be fixed.
note: and edit skin.xml in the root folder of the skin, so it picks up files from the PAL folder when running on a standard resolution.

tikkiew Wrote:Also I made this font for xbox users and there is a different version of Transparency! for xbox.Are there any other non xbox xbmc users that like this bold 4x3 font?

not sure if it's relevant to where you're getting at, but there may also be xbox users running this at 720p i guess.

i think i can fix this without f'ing anything up for 720p users.

i could make the context menu a bit wider...
but it depends on the total number of changes needed to make the skin 4x3 'compatible' whether i want to do this or not.

that's basically the same context menu as above.
but the translation in this case is wrong/far from optimal.
it should read 'Hervatten vanaf 1:43' like it's done in english.

personally, i hate scrolling labels..but i don't mind adding them here (if possible) since i'll never see them myself. (using english on 720p)

this may be fixed in the new release.
it will be only one option: 'Animate Backgrounds'

hmmm...this looks like something that needs to be fixed by me.....

@tikkiew: could you explain me why the hidden left menu is partly visible in your screenshots?
is this an overscan issue?
i may be able to let it slide out even more to the left, if needed.
ronie Wrote:not sure if it's relevant to where you're getting at, but there may also be xbox users running this at 720p i guess.

not related to the question of marlboroman1.But I saw people screenshot on forums and I notice they were not using this bold font for xbox and come across problems I didn't see on xbox xbmc.I wonder why they were using this font.As you can see the first screenshot is taken from pc ans ratio is a little different
tikkiew Wrote:Are there any other non xbox xbmc users that like this bold 4x3 font?

Yes I use it for my 4:3 CRT television. Becomes much clearer from the back of the room.

This is not an xbox issue its a 4:3 issue.

PArt of side menu is always visible on my TV. I assumed this was normal behaviour. Just so you know its there.
ronie Wrote:i could make the context menu a bit wider...
but it depends on the total number of changes needed to make the skin 4x3 'compatible' whether i want to do this or not.
screenshot I don't know how much change is needed but anything you do I will appreciate.And you need more screenshot of context menu in video and programs perhaps?
ronie Wrote:that's basically the same context menu as above.
but the translation in this case is wrong/far from optimal.
it should read 'Hervatten vanaf 1:43' like it's done in english.
screenshot How can you change that is shows (1.43)time instead of latest position.Is it related to xbmc version I am using?
ronie Wrote:personally, i hate scrolling labels..but i don't mind adding them here (if possible) since i'll never see them myself. (using english on 720p).
screenshot
This is a problem I found in german language.But most language doesn't have this.I would suggest scroll since it's just the settings menu and doesn't happen often.
ronie Wrote:@tikkiew: could you explain me why the hidden left menu is partly visible in your screenshots?
is this an overscan issue?
i may be able to let it slide out even more to the left, if needed.

screenshot The screenshot doesn't match what I am seeing on my screen.As you can see in the the screenshot ledige lijst I will see on my screen lijst and on the whole sentence layout: Volledig lijst.

This is more accurate what I am seeing on the left menu

But the left menu sometimes is a little to small .Specially for the sentence view: full list .Depends of course which language you are using.

tikkiew Wrote:And you need more screenshot of context menu in video and programs perhaps?
no, thanx.

tikkiew Wrote:How can you change that is shows (1.43)time instead of latest position.Is it related to xbmc version I am using?
nope, the dutch language file needs to be updated.
this string: <string id="12022">Hervatten vanaf laatste positie</string>
needs to be changed to: <string id="12022">Hervatten vanaf %s</string>

you can submit changes to trac or ask for help on how to do this here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=38191

tikkiew Wrote:But the left menu sometimes is a little to small .Specially for the sentence view: full list .Depends of course which language you are using.
so sliding it out more to the left would fix that.
i'll see what i can do.
screen 1 - date label: fixed
screen 2 & 3 - context menu: won't fix, a separate DialogContext.xml should be made for 4:3 screens and placed in the PAL folder.
screen 4 - settings: can't fix, xbmc doesn't allow scrolling text on buttons
screen 5 - skin settings: fixed for english language, text might still be to long for other languages
screen 6 - time label: fixed
ronie Wrote:screen 1 - date label: fixed
screen 2 & 3 - context menu: won't fix, a separate DialogContext.xml should be made for 4:3 screens and placed in the PAL folder.
screen 4 - settings: can't fix, xbmc doesn't allow scrolling text on buttons
screen 5 - skin settings: fixed for english language, text might still be to long for other languages
screen 6 - time label: fixed

thanks a lot.
screen 2 & 3 I will see if I can edit DialogContext.xml myself
screen 4 and scrolling text on buttons should I request this or making this menu wider for pal folder is a better option?
tikkiew Wrote:screen 4 and scrolling text on buttons should I request this or making this menu wider for pal folder is a better option?

whichever you prefer. ;-)
I think larger buttons looks neater.
Woaw woaw woaw ... fantastic to see you do that Big Grin
Thanks ronie for the information Big Grin

I think it is very great you made it for all the peoples who are on XBOX and have an older TV, they are many more lol
And for some PC users who watch the films on the big TV with their whife in the Lounge... and many time the TV is older too Sad

For my part it is for the childrens, who have now theire XBOX in bedroom, but with an OLD TV, and i can't take her the skin Transparency! like in the lounge Sad

Thanks a lot
I can help to shorter french sentencesif it important ?
Pages: 1 2