Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Font corruption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After playing anything where VDPAU is involved, I often see font corruption in the ui. It's been like this ever since I installed XBMCLive. I'm now running SVN 22240 and Nvidia drivers 185.18.36, but it's the same problem there. Is this a known bug?

I have the same thing every now and then. I thought it was something to do with the modded Aeon skin I'm using.
Try updating, 22240 is more than a week old.
I've seen this once in practice using Mediastream_redux, though there were several complaints about it in aeon. If someone can hash out a way to reproduce it consistently that would be great.
I get this problem too occasionally. I think it occurs when yo go in and out of movie and TV show menus and start and stop movie files from playing.
bobo1on1 Wrote:Try updating, 22240 is more than a week old.

I'll try again when a new SVN is up at the PPA. I went back to 22240 from 22290 because of problems with fast forwarding in video files.

althekiller Wrote:I've seen this once in practice using Mediastream_redux, though there were several complaints about it in aeon. If someone can hash out a way to reproduce it consistently that would be great.

It was happening quite often for me after I've watched a trailer using the Apple Movie Trailers script. Also after watching for example Cranky Geeks through Navi-X. Pretty much anything where VDPAU is involved it seems. Never had any corruption after watching regular tv shows encoded with XviD, as XBMC then only uses software decoding.
I'm running Live SVN 22528 and getting this issue happening to me more and more lately it seems. I thought it was more related to the mediastream_redux skin so I started using Transparency 2.0. That seemed to solve the issue for me or at least I thought. Happening with that skin too now. I do have VDPAU enabled so that could be related, but I do know that it isn't consistent when it happens. So it makes it a bit more difficult to catch in debug.

I'll give a try at getting a debug capture of it if that will help in any way.

Update: here is a debug where I played a video, then hit skip so it would go to the end and finish. Upon finishing I now have corrupted fonts on the movie listing page, dont know if a debug log will point to anything but here it is:

http://pastebin.ca/1564540
i get this from time to time as well, no real rhyme or reason to what causes it to occur, it just happens to me now and then. Skins observed on:

Aeon
Aeon -Black mod
Transparency
got the same issue, it happens whenever i play hd content.. if i invoke the osd or info pane while playing hd content, screen turns white and after that, fonts are corrupted as well. looks the same as in your 2nd pic, but then only the fonts in all osd related uis..
tried with nvidia drivers 190.25, 185.16.36, and Project Mayhem 3 skin (not the PM3.hd one)
seems like switching to the PM3.hd skin fixed it somehow?
Happens every now and then for me to with Mediastream Redux.
Exiting and re-entering fullscreen mode fixes it every time.
Same thing there, I have two linux XBMC boxes - one NVIDIA and one ATi.. only ever spotted this on the NVidia one (both are running the latest propriatory drivers as of last week).
Just closed and reopened XBMC and it was cleared.
Will see if I can get a debug log if its still needed.
djurny Wrote:got the same issue, it happens whenever i play hd content.. if i invoke the osd or info pane while playing hd content, screen turns white and after that, fonts are corrupted as well.

Not sure if it's related but there's a Transparency issue with white screen (mainly after viewing the Info while a HD video is playing). This has been discussed on that forum, along with a workaround:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57460
djurny Wrote:got the same issue, it happens whenever i play hd content.. if i invoke the osd or info pane while playing hd content, screen turns white

i'm not sure if the white screen is related to the corrupted font, so in order to avoid thread hijacking i've opened a new one for this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=57993
(note: I'm running Linux on Fedora 10)

I'm seeing this too since building with svn 23241 this morning. Was using svn 19575 previously where it did not occur.

I do use VDPAU, and have noticed when stopping videos and returning back to the main UI that the fonts are corrupted. They look exactly like the original poster's examples. I'm using stock skins etc., nothing special/custom here except my RPM's Smile

Will try a different rendering method (GL or something) and see if it still occurs, at least I would know it's related. I'll report back.

Cheers,
PharaohsPaw
Follow-up:

When I change the video rendering method to Advanced Shaders (GLSL) the problem no longer occurs. Happens every time that I have seen here when leaving a video to return to the UI when VDPAU rendering is enabled (when watching something that uses a vdpau-enabled codec).

I did also find, as someone here mentioned, that exiting and restarting XBMC does bring back non-corrupted fonts in the UI.

With several other items fixed in the newer revision that we consider important (example: no more several seconds of delay before audio starts and then further delay as A/V streams sync up) we will probably just stick with the newer version and trust that the UI font corruption problems when VDPAU rendering is enabled will get fixed at some point.

Cheers,
PharaohsPaw
Pages: 1 2 3