Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HOW-TO quick-build/compile XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
here is a little something i have been working on. it’s a quick build package that will download the latest cvs and compile it with codecs, scripts and python, alll output to a dated rar file, it will even clean up after it’s self. you can run this once a week or so to get the latest build.

to run just copy to any folder and double click build.exe

the only prerequisite is:
1. that you have visual studio .net 2003 installed with xdk and winrar installed in the default locations.

that’s it!

you can use a different version of visual studio you will just have to edit the path in the build.bat file. to do this just open build.exe in winrar, edit, and repack build.bat back into build.exe.
full credit to ythan and the xbmc team as the script was mostley derived from them.

any comments would be good; the idea of this is to help noobs get into the scene.

build.exe (23.83mb)

i have tested this under windows 2003 server and xp so should work fine for most, i have just built 17-09-2005 and worked fine on my xbox.
cheesyboofs thank you so much for posting that file. it helped me alot. i just used it tonight and got an updated version of xbmc 09/09/04. thanks so much for you program.
your more than welcome, i'm no coder and wanted to help in some way, so this was all i could think of.
the good thing i just found out is if you want to add a script you can just drop it into the script.rar in the build.rar and this will then be built into your final build. i just did this with the aqtbrowser.py script for the movie trailer feature. the same can be done with the codecs just drop the new ones into the codec.rar in the build.rar and winrar will repack the lot.
just added tober's tip for 'build tagging' in the settings menu.
also moved text files to \docs.
just a note to reiterate for noobs, you don't need any other software other than visual studio .net 2003, xdk and winrar, the other software is in the build.rar and run by the quick.bat, it will download the latest cvs for you.
i'm getting pm's from ppl saying i have download the latest cvs with wincvs now what do i do, no! no! no!
i'm sorry but if you can't follow this simple tut then there really is nothing i can do to help you.
thanks a bunch. awesome script. for the noobest of the noobs, all you have to do is edit the bat file to point to where you have the bat file located, where your vs7.1 is, and where your rar and unrar are located. it takes care of everything else.
praise indeed, but careful not to confuse ppl if you do a default install of .net xdk and winrar you shouldn't need to change a thing. as johnh123 said though, if you run into trouble even a noob can tweak the batch file.
added aqtbrowser.py fix plus pm web radio skin.
build script tested as of today and all working, any probs let me know.
added to pinned topic over at the x-s forums as this will help some people over there Smile
it worked the first time for me, great script :bowdown: :bowdown:

i'm very :o :o
i dunno how this would work for win9x users, but for users of win2k and higher, i see a way to make your bat file a little simpler.

(i can't test this on a win9x machine as i don't have one.)

but while perusing your wonderful little script there, i noticed it can either only be run from "c:\xbmc" or the user would have to change the %home% path themselves.

well there is a built in variable in windows (possibly only win2k upwards though) like this... %cwd%
this one outputs the current directory.
so you could change your batch file to read something like this....

Quote::: where this file is located ::
set home=%cd%
echo.
echo currently running from %home%
pause

i have tested it on a winxp pro box, and it works fine....

and now i can run it from anywhere. Smile
now to find a way of automating the rar, unrar, and vs.net paths Smile

cheers,
amph.
ok guys... i'm back....

again, i don't think this one will work with anything below win2k, i only have the means to test it on winxp pro.

but this one saves you having to edit anything in the file.
it grabs the current location through the %cd% system variable,
and reads the path to rar.exe, unrar.exe and vs.net's devenv.exe.

do as below to the quick.bat file....

find:
Quote:@echo off
cls
color 0c
title cheesyboofs xbmc build prepare script
echo preparing the build...

:: where this file is located ::
set home=c:\xbmc

:: a directory containing any custom skins (can be empty) ::
set skins=%home%\skins

:: a directory containing any custom codecs (can be empty) ::
set codecs=%home%\codecs

:: path to command line cvs, from http://www.cvshome.org/downloads.html ::
set cvs=%home%\cvs.exe

:: path to visual studio .net 7.1 2003 (with ms xbox sdk 5778+ installed) ::
set net=c:\program files\microsoft visual studio .net 2003\common7\ide\devenv.exe
:: compile options ::
set opts=%home%\xbmc\xbmc.sln

:: path to command line rar.exe included with winrar, from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm ::
set rar=c:\program files\winrar\rar.exe
set unrar=c:\program files\winrar\unrar.exe
:: compression options ::
set compressops=a -ep1 -r -m5
:: extraction options ::
set extractops=x -r

:: path to xbmctex.exe, must be compiled from xbmc\tools\xbmctex\xbmctex.sln ::
set tex=%home%\xbmctex.exe

:: path to xbepatch, from http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=xbexbx ::
set xbe=%home%\xbepatch.exe

:: path to download gsar.exe from http://home.online.no/~tjaberg/
set gsar=%home%\gsar.exe

and replace with:
Quote:@echo off
cls
color 71
title cheesyboofs xbmc build prepare script
echo preparing the build...

:: where this file is located ::
set home=%cd%

:: a directory containing any custom skins (can be empty) ::
set skins=%home%\skins

:: a directory containing any custom codecs (can be empty) ::
set codecs=%home%\codecs

:: path to command line cvs, from http://www.cvshome.org/downloads.html ::
set cvs=%home%\cvs.exe

:: path to visual studio .net 7.1 2003 (with ms xbox sdk 5778+ installed) ::
for /f "tokens=2* delims= " %%a in ('reg query "hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\visualstudio\7.1" /v installdir') do set netdir=%%b
set net=%netdir%devenv.exe
:: compile options ::
set opts=%home%\xbmc\xbmc.sln

:: path to command line rar.exe included with winrar, from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm ::
for /f "tokens=2* delims= " %%a in ('reg query "hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\app paths\winrar.exe" /v path') do set winrar=%%b
set rar=%winrar%\rar.exe
set unrar=%winrar%\unrar.exe

:: compression options ::
set compressops=a -ep1 -r -m5

:: extraction options ::
set extractops=x -r

:: path to xbmctex.exe, must be compiled from xbmc\tools\xbmctex\xbmctex.sln ::
set tex=%home%\xbmctex.exe

:: path to xbepatch, from http://www.xbox-scene.com/tools/tools.php?page=xbexbx ::
set xbe=%home%\xbepatch.exe

:: path to download gsar.exe from http://home.online.no/~tjaberg/
set gsar=%home%\gsar.exe

:: make sure the program path variables parsed ok from the registry ::
echo home=%home%
echo rar=%rar%
echo unrar=%unrar%
echo vs.net=%net%
echo.
echo.
echo if these are not correct, close now (you will have to set these paths manually)
echo if these are correct,
pause

hope that makes it easy on a few of you... Smile
i tested it in winxp pro, and it works great.

cheers,
amph.
thanks for ur input amph, dont forget this is a noob guide and that will confuse the shit out of some. for them that need help here is amphetamarine's quick.bat i won't add it to the quick-build.zip just yet to see how ppl get on with it, and different os's. just swap it for the one in the quick-build.zip
hrmmm yes... never thought of that cheesyboofs....
ahh well....
thanks for makin it a bat and attaching it....
i would have done it that way, but didn't wanna put up a bat file in your thread, using mostly your code Wink

but yeah... i think it will only work in win2k/xp or possibly in winxp, so if you were to add it to your quick-build.zip, then possibly it would be better to add it as a 2nd option, maybe called win2k-xp.bat or something.....

but anyways... thanks matey for putting it up here :d

edit: acutally after grabbing and checking that edited quick.bat, i have noticed it isn't quite right... (missing some spaces in the delims section of the registry reading part)

here is the one i actually use, this one is working for me on winxp pro sp2 (right-click and choose "save target as...")

cheers,
amph.
dude you made a silly mistake, your script falls over strait away, because you have renamed build.rar to supportfiles.rar.

as for;
Quote:i would have done it that way, but didn't wanna put up a bat file in your thread, using mostly your code Wink
knock your self out, its not my thred, and it isn't mostly my code. i just want to make it easier for people to experience this fantastic proggie!  :thumbsup:

update
chap just ran your script from the desktop of my windows 2003 server and it fell on its arse at the build stage not sure why yet, i run mine from c:\xbmc on the same server.
Pages: 1 2