Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Problems playing 720p and 1080p content on ION
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there,

Problem: Trying to watch 720p and 1080p content such as apple trailers, results in very poor playback performance and frames are dropped.

Distribution: Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty)
Architecture: i386
Install Method: Ubuntu and XBMC according to XBMCbuntu
Revision: 20654
Debug log: here

Hardware specs:
"Point of View ION", Atom 330, 2GB RAM.
Platform is configured to assign 512MB of the RAM to the internal GPU.
If relevant: The display device is a Samsung LE-46A756.

I used the XBMCbuntu guide to set up the base system (incl. xbmc-live) and have a self compiled version of the NVIDIA drivers (version 185.18.36) installed. XBMC is set to use VDPAU to render the content and adjust the frame rate. During playback of, for example, the Avatar 1080p trailer, the CPUs load is, according to XBMCs FPS view, less than 10%. The FPS are at 23.95-24 during playback and 30 in paused state.

The content is played from a locally installed disk. Nothing else is running on the box.

Has anyone an idea where this poor playback performance could come from?
Try force disabling anti-aliasing in the NVIDIA control panel.
Please see the sticky regarding posting problems in a useful manner.
I edited the main post and added the missing parts.

Changeing the anti-aliasing settings did not help.
you should update to newer svn.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=54350
I updated to the SVN PPA. It does not seem to fix the problem. The video is played back pretty much the same as before.

One thing I noticed is that XBMC seems to recognize a different screen resolution.
The "Default" tab in the "System info" now says:

"Screen resolution: 1920x1080 1920x1080 @ 50.00 Hz (Full Screen) 60.00 Hz"

Before the update the refresh rate was statet as 30.00 Hz.

Perhapps a bit more detail about the playback performance: For example in the Avatar trailer at position 35s there is a spacecraft (or whatever) flying in front of a rock horizontally. The craft seems to jump forward and stop several times during the short period of the scene.

Also changing the settings "Adjust refresh rate" and "Sync playback to display" did not seem to change anything. (The XBMC FPS report during playback always showed the same.)
There are lots of people with your hardware. I had similar problems. If you search you will find that there are various issues with resolution, but it is possible to get a stable system.

I suggest searching and trying out some more things.
check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it has

Code:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
in Monitor section

Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
in Screen Section

and add this to the end

Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
ezechiel1917 Wrote:check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it has

Code:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "True"
in Monitor section

Code:
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"
in Screen Section

and add this to the end

Code:
Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately they did not fix the issues. Disabling DynamicTwinView caused the video overlay being sized down and not using the whole screen.

I tried a lot of different stuff two: Forcing the screen refresh rate to 24Hz did not help either (the source is 23.97 fps). It also seems that the "Adjust refreshrate" setting does not change anything. At least the monitor claims to always run at the same refresh rate.

It seems that some other guys here have similar problems (possibly related to Samsung monitors), but i found no problem report with a possible solution for that particular problem.
This seems to be the same problem. This seems to be similar but with a different cause (i play from the local disk).

I am not even sure whether it is related to the monitor and the refresh rate, even though many other problem reports direct there. I have a PS3 connected to the same monitor. It always puts it in 1920x1080 at 60Hz mode without any playback problems. My understanding is that it is also using a nvidia GPU.
Can you post an updated logfile (with debugging turned on)
Is your TV running at 24 Hz when playing videos? You can find it by pressing Info on your tv remote. You should run 24 fps material at 24 Hz otherwise you will always have stuttering. This can also help getting Auto adjust refresh rate work correctly:

Code:
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

in screen section.
motd2k Wrote:Can you post an updated logfile (with debugging turned on)
Sure! updated xbmc.log with debugging enabled corresponding xorg.conf

ezechiel1917 Wrote:Is your TV running at 24 Hz when playing videos? You can find it by pressing Info on your tv remote. You should run 24 fps material at 24 Hz otherwise you will always have stuttering. This can also help getting Auto adjust refresh rate work correctly:

Code:
Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"

in screen section.
No, it does not switch to 24Hz. Adjust framrate does not seem to work. But, as written earlier, forcing the screen to 24 Hz and playing 23.97 fps content does not help either.
actually I'm having some problems with VDPAU too
720p works fine
1080p with +-2.35 AR most of the time plays fine.
1080p +- 1.77 AR are mostly playing fine for several minutes, then it goes choppy and I have to restart XBMC to get rid of this choppiness, restarting movie itself doesn't help.

I've tried different SVNs 22000+, nvidia drivers 185.19 185.32 185.36 all with same behaviour

disabling sync playback to display, xorg.conf tweaks. vsync,
only haven't tried disabling AA. nothing helped

I'm running RAM in dual channel, but it's no difference if I run only one stick. 512mb gpu frame buffer

sometimes when this happens I can see in xbmc log these warnings.
[HTML]WARNING: Decode - avcodec_decode_video didn't consume the full packet. size: 43932, consumed: 0[/HTML]
but other time not.

if it helps, here is debug log where movie became choppy after several minutes. started about 15s before mceusb (Pause) so nothing related to it in log I guess Sad
http://pastebin.com/m20add4f0
Please downgrade to a stable version. We can't help if you are using a version from after the merge.

Please read xbmc.org for more details about the merge and SVN being unstable ATM.

Thanks.
I know, it's just it had been same with any other previous svn.

In nvidia-settings I disabled AA for OpenGL, enabled VSync on Blank and disabled Allow Flipping and watched the rest movie without any problem (Previously always choppy after 5-6mins) Not sure if it was only coincidence. What's recommended setting for Flipping?

Anyway I will definitely post proper report once downgraded if I see this problem again.
Pages: 1 2