Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: No sound when playing MP3's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi folks,
As of lately I'm having some problems with XBMC. I'm using an Asrock ION 330 system along with a Logitech Z5500 sound system, linked via Optical Toslink. Movies (.mkv) play absolutely fine, I get crystal clear 5.1 surround. However, when I try to play MP3 files from any source available things tend to stay a little quiet. The Z5500 receiver says 'no digital data'.

I'm really new to Linux. I'm trying to live up to the 'HOW-TO' of problem posting, but please bare with me.

Linux Distribution and Version
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:57:59 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

Architecture
i686

Install Method
XBMC Live USB?

SVN Revision
Didn't see a 'XBMC SVN: #####', but at each page the following is listed:
XBMC 9.04.1 r20654 (Compiled May 25 2009)

Detailed Instructions to Reproduce the Problem
There is really not much to it. I downloaded and installed XBMC Live CD and installed it to my USB drive. After that I followed a guide (Dutch) to update my system. I used the following terminal commands after exiting XBMC:

1. sudo apt-get update
2. sudo aptitude dist-upgrade
3. wget ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-...4-pkg1.run
4. sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++5 dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
5. sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.14-pkg1.run -k $(uname -r) --x-module-path=/usr/lib/xorg/modules --x-library-path=/usr/lib

As far as audio hardware settings go, I've set the following:
1. Output stereo to all speakers [yes]
2. Audio output -> Digital
3. AC3 capable receiver [yes]
4. DTS capable receiver [yes]
5. Audio output device -> default
6. Passthrough -> iec958
7. Downmix multichannel audio to stereo [no]

Once again, movies are playing absolutely splendid.

FULL Debug Log
http://pastebin.com/m1f9a6606

Backtrace (Only attainable if XBMC has crashed. See below.)
Not applicable.

Compiler Output (Only useful if XBMC doesn't build. See below.)
Not applicable.

Audio codec and container
I'm not sure to what this applies to, but I'm guessing the file I'm trying to play? It's standard album 320kb MP3 files.

Thanks in advance,
Bob.
Solved! Somehow I've managed to update ALSA. I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but everything works now.

I did the following;

1. wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/al...21.tar.bz2
2. sudo make
3. sudo make install
Xepo, do you know if there's anything else you did to XBMC or Alsa, did you run the mixer or do anything? I just updated to 1.0.21 as well since it fixed it for you but still not getting MP3 audio in XBMC (but high def audio is fine).

Frustrating!