Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Clear QAM 1 foot in the grave
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've loved xbmc, since the first video I've seen in action, the problem for me always was the lack of TV integration, so I went with Media Portal and SageTV combination until Media Portal started supporting my card. With a recent article I read that basically says TV Tuners could be obsolete very soon, I was thinking, why not switch to xbmc and continue using sage for TV until it disappears (if/when).

Problem is I really don't know what features/hardware might not be compatible or what I might miss from Mediaportal and was hoping others had made a similar switch. I currently run windows 7 and use a USB-UIRT with a Hauppauge 880 remote. Mediaportal has online video support built in as well as a hulu and netflix plugin. From what I can tell, the movie catalog plugins and TV plugins look way better, so I doubt I miss out on those at all.

Anything I should consider before trying to make this switch?
ejkeebler Wrote:Mediaportal has online video support built in as well as a hulu and netflix plugin. From what I can tell, the movie catalog plugins and TV plugins look way better, so I doubt I miss out on those at all.

Not that I want to turn you away from XBMC or anything, BUT I believe you have been misinformed Smile

Your best bet for Hulu is to use the launcher plugin to get Hulu's desktop client.
I don't use Netflix so I don't know how much luck you'll have with that. It is on my over-growing list of things to tackle, but I won't get to it anytime soon.

NBC & Adult Swim plugins are nice. I think BBC has a nice one too, but I'm not in the UK and don't really want to set up a proxy to try it out.

There are probably other plugins that offer streaming TV/Movies, but they're usually from pirate sites with crap quality.
my post may have been misleading. Netflix and Hulu both have plugins for mediaportal, technically it isn't built in and the hulu plugin is the multi shortcut launcher and not really in mediaportal. They run ok, I've been using mediaportal for about 5 months now and it's gone fairly well. I'll have to see about xbmc and netflix, that's a big one for me, hulu would be a very nice addition, but not required.

thanks for the info.