Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] compiling XBMC under Ubuntu 9.10 alpha5
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello
Has someone try to compile XBMC under Ubuntu 9.10 alpha 5 ?
I try this official guide (http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=HOW-TO_c...ian/Ubuntu) but compiling stops with this error:
Code:
g++ -MD -c -O2 -g -D_DEBUG -Wall -D_LINUX -D_FILE_DEFINED -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DINSTALL_PATH="\"/usr/local/share/xbmc\"" -DHAS_SDL_JOYSTICK -DHAS_XRANDR -DHAS_PCRE -D'SVN_REV="22833M"'  -DDLL_PATH_LIBCURL="\"/usr/lib/libcurl.so\"" -I. -I../../../ -I../../../linux -I../../../../guilib -DDBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE -I/usr/include/dbus-1.0 -I/usr/lib/dbus-1.0/include -I/usr/include/hal -DHAS_PULSEAUDIO -DHAS_AVAHI -I/usr/include/lzo exports_msvcrt.cpp -o exports_msvcrt.o
exports_msvcrt.cpp:375: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:380: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:436: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:437: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:441: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:525: error: too many initializers for ‘Export’
exports_msvcrt.cpp:589: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:594: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:650: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:651: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:655: error: overloaded function with no contextual type information
exports_msvcrt.cpp:815: error: too many initializers for ‘Export’
make[1]: *** [exports_msvcrt.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis '/usr/local/src/XBMC/xbmc/cores/DllLoader/exports'
make: *** [exports] Fehler 2
I have install all the packages like under Ubuntu 9.04 and additional 'liblzo2-dev'.
Does someone have an idea?
regards
Jarny
Be sure to compile a stable SVN 22528 is the last reasonably stable version. You might want to go back before that, before the merge of the Windows stuff.

It's all covered in the news posts on the front page of xbmc.org.
ok, I previously compile the stable version 9.04.1 (Rev.20672), sorry I forgot to mention it.
Now I check out Rev. 22528 and compile. The error at exports_msvcrt.cpp is gone.
At this moment i became an error because of goom, so I have to remove it from the configure.in (there are many infos about that error in the forum) and hopefully than became a installable version of XBMC. Smile
Unfortunately a compiler run takes nearly 1.5 hours to complete on my machine. So now I start compiling and go to bed (its night in germany).

Regards
Jarny
Jarny Wrote:Unfortunately a compiler run takes nearly 1.5 hours to complete on my machine. So now I start compiling and go to bed (its night in germany).
Good luck! I hope it works out for you. I stick to pre-compiled binaries to try to avoid issues like what you're having. Smile
little report:
sudo make - produces no errors
sudo make install - produces no error
but
xbmc crashes after starting it :mad:
I am a linux noob so it is to much work to find out the reason why it crashes. The crashlog shows:
Code:
############### STACK TRACE #################
Core was generated by `/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin'.
Program terminated with signal 6, Aborted.
#0  0x00421422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()

Thread 1 (Thread 3090):
#0  0x00421422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0x03b014d1 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2  0x03b04932 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3  0x082aaa2e in CApplication::FatalErrorHandler (this=0x8aa77e0,
    InitD3D=false, MapDrives=false, InitNetwork=true) at Application.cpp:489
#4  0x082bbb12 in CApplication::Create (this=0x8aa77e0, hWnd=0x0)
    at Application.cpp:836
#5  0x0850bc8f in main (argc=1, argv=0xbfa518f4) at xbmc.cpp:126
############# END STACK TRACE ###############
I have no idea and I think its better to go back to stable ubuntu 9.04 (just have to swap my harddrives Big Grin)
What a pity because in ubuntu 9.10 there are better intel video drivers unlike in ubuntu 9.04.

regards
Jarny
Run the provided, not the executable. You need to set the XBMC_HOME environment variable first otherwise.
jmarshall Wrote:Run the provided, not the executable. You need to set the XBMC_HOME environment variable first otherwise.
Thanks for your reply

If I read
Code:
core was generated by `/usr/local/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin'
in the crashlog my first thought was that I run the executable.
But I only type 'sudo xbmc' in the shell window, so this might no be the problem. Or am I wrong?

Any other ideas? How to set the XBMC_HOME environment variable?

My Logfiles:
xorg.0.log http://pastebin.com/m43f5e552
full crashlog http://pastebin.com/m3fe8422a
syslog http://pastebin.com/m3efb9f8b

regards
Jarny
Solution:

Get liblzo1 from here and install ---> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/i386/liblzo1/download

After that you can install xbmc to Ubuntu 9.10 with apt-get useing Ubuntu 9.04 repos.

Just installed to my own pc with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. It works! Smile
Wow Shocked
thank you man, it really works.
With the new intel video driver or maybe the new kernel my XBMC installation works much more stable then under ubuntu 9.04.
Under ubuntu 9.04 I have many problems with some videoplugins which shows internet livestreams. My old video driver or kernel crashes in more than 50% of all cases.
Now I only have problems with some python scripts, but these are not problems of ubuntu 9.10.

Other question: How can I set the XBMC_HOME environment variable? I cant find a answer for this simple question (for Linux pros).

regards
Jarny
export XBMC_HOME=foo
Do NOT run XBMC as root. That is, put as nicely as possible, STUPID!
spiff Wrote:export XBMC_HOME=foo
That doesn't work on my installation.
I type in a terminal window:
Code:
export XBMC_HOME=/home/xbmc/.xbmc
but when I start xbmc:
Code:
sudo xbmc -fs
there comes the message: The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.

Please explain it again for a linux noob :o
regards
Jarny

edit
@althekiller: I do not run xbmc as root. I run it as user xbmc