Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] XBMScript - Easy installation for Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
no problems here:
Code:
root@~: wget http://flx.me/script/skinupdate.zip
--2009-10-16 21:10:49--  http://flx.me/script/skinupdate.zip
Resolving flx.me (flx.me)... 75.119.196.245
Connecting to flx.me (flx.me)|75.119.196.245|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 5137934 (4.9M) [application/zip]
Saving to: `skinupdate.zip'

100%[======================================>] 5,137,934    126K/s   in 34s

2009-10-16 21:11:24 (147 KB/s) - `skinupdate.zip' saved [5137934/5137934]

root@~: unzip skinupdate.zip
Archive:  skinupdate.zip
   creating: skinupdate/
   creating: skinupdate/fonts/
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_edit.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_edit_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_info.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_info_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_list.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_list_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_list_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_main.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_main_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_main_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_main_kr.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_multiplex.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_player.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_player_caps.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_player_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_player_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_rss.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_rss_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_rss_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_rss_kr.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_select_dc.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_settings.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_settings_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_settings_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_shapes.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_sublist.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_sublist_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_sublist_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_title.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_title_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_title_cy.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_welcome.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_welcome_ce.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts/aeon_welcome_dc.ttf
   creating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scout.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scoutblack.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scoutcond.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scoutlight.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scoutlightnc.ttf
  inflating: skinupdate/fonts.extra/scoutnocaps.ttf
   creating: skinupdate/share/
   creating: skinupdate/share/git-core/
   creating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/
   creating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/branches/
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/description
   creating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/applypatch-msg.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/commit-msg.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/post-commit.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/post-receive.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/post-update.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/pre-applypatch.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/pre-commit.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/pre-rebase.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/prepare-commit-msg.sample
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/hooks/update.sample
   creating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/info/
  inflating: skinupdate/share/git-core/templates/info/exclude
  inflating: skinupdate/skinupdate.sh
root@~:
flxfxp Wrote:It should work automatically, it does for me on my Asrock ION 330.
Hardware?

frozenice Wrote:Same Hardware Asrock ION 330.

I try it again tonight and report to you.

//Off-Topic: by the way is there a way to "safely remove" the drive in xbmc?
Thanks

Okay, there is no automount on my asrock ion330. I must plug in the external drive and reboot the complete system to have access to the drive.

latest svn und xbmscript are installed.

anyone have an idea?

greets
I had not yet installed the SVN version, it was installing the stable version, at the point where it would hang because of the error in the script, it was stuck at initialized empty git repository...

that is when I rebooted to try restarting the script since you had fixed it. At that point i was getting stuck at the inflating skinupdate part, so I did a rm -r skinupdate and then entered your code above. It is now installing the skin update.

What should I do now, install stable xbmc (ie. start with #1 in your script)?

edit: Nevermind, I think I got it. I let the skinupdate finish then chose #1 on your script but chose not to install the skins and so no to all for overwriting files and it booted into xbmc!
continuing on with #2 now.
It takes a (long) while to initialize the empty git directory. For me it takes 15 mins or so.
You can just rerun skinupdate after you deleted the old folder and re-wgetted the zip.
everything seemed to go fine and then after I installed the remote, I rebooted and saw the xbmc loading screen, but no splash screen just black. It worked last time, must have borked something.
just reinstalled from scratch and am having the same problem, it is either when I install the skins that it makes my screen go black or it is when I setup the xbox dvd remote that it does it.
using this install method, how do you either, gain access to the "home folder", or add a location? so i can add some custom images for the backdrops??

many thanksSmile
If you would like to add locations for ftp or samba, I would recommend reading the config file. For samba (windows file sharing) you can find it at /etc/samba/smb.conf. For ftp you can find it at /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf. It's not that hard, put some effort into it. Having a easy installation method for xbmc is not a excuse to assume someone else will just chew everything out for you.

If you'd like to have new features or adjustments on the script, try to create a simple bash script and try to automate its installation. For bash scripting tutorials look here: http://www.google.nl/search?q=bash+script+tutorial

I know my installation script makes it a lot easier for most of you that are new to linux but please, I'm just one person doing this on a non-profit basis (no donations so far). I am not omniscient about your setups or the reasons they do not work. Try to research some on your own, look at the logs, search on google. That's what I do. The reason I made this script is to make installation easier for people who install a lot and know what needs to be doen, but I did not intend to make this a tool for people that don't care about linux and xbmc and just want it to work. Instead of just using my script, try to understand some of the inner workings of xbmc, xbmscript and linux.
sorry, i didn't want to annoy you.

problem is that this script is easy for a noob like me who doesn't know anything about linux, it gets you to the end without having made the journey yourself, and therefore learning along the way.

tbh i didn't think it would be this complicated, i got rid of a popcorn hour a110 to get this asrock.

anyway thanks for the help thus far its appreciatedSmile i'll refrain from posting on this thread again.
The last thing I'd like is you to refrain from posting in this thread, the only thing I would like to have you research some stuff yourself, therefore learning more about linux/xbmc thus lowering the load on my shoulders Smile
ThEgOg Wrote:using this install method, how do you either, gain access to the "home folder", or add a location? so i can add some custom images for the backdrops??

many thanksSmile

If you have a windows pc on your network download and install winscp on it. open winscp, type in your xbmc ip adress, username and pass. It will then connect to your htpc and you will have access to your home folder. You might have to install ssh on your asrock first
Quote:sudo apt-get install ssh

cheers
harryzimm Wrote:If you have a windows pc on your network download and install winscp on it. open winscp, type in your xbmc ip adress, username and pass. It will then connect to your htpc and you will have access to your home folder. You might have to install ssh on your asrock first

cheers

nice one!! i'm inBig Grin

i just didn't know how to access all the files in first place tbhHuh

makes sense now, i remember ftping roms etc over to my old xbox many moons ago with flashfxp.

i spent the morning searching through file manager on the the htpc trying to see if i could pull stuff off a cd inserted into the drive.

anyway this is great, got winscp installed on my netbook now dragging files off my whs.

thanks again harry mate you're a starSmile
I'm just about ready to buy the AsRock 330 and install windows and linux on a dual boot, then use your installer to add XBMC.

I'm new to Linux and still learning about XBMC, so can I ask:

Should I split the HDD 50:50 for the dual boot?
After I install XBMC through your installer, can I then add a mod to Aeon or will it just get over installed on auto skin updates?
(http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49915)

After using your installer, can I make small mods to XBMC, like make it load at boot, rather than first selecting an OS to boot etc.

I've done plenty of reading, but there are so many mods, I'm not sure what will work with what.

Thanks
1. For just XBMC I'd recommend +5GB for Ubuntu minimal installation.
2. It will get overwritten, sadly. You might want to look into the files that get modded and maybe write a small routine that adds the mod after updating the skin.
3. XBMC automatically loads at linux boot with my script. If you meant the selection at the GRUB boot menu, you need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Move the linux item to the top of the list and set the time-out for user interaction. If you have edited this file correctly it will load linux as first boot. For windows perform the steps with the windows partition on top of the list.

Good luck,

Dennis
Thanks for the quick reply.

I think I'll slowly go through all of the guides and try a manual install, hopefully I'll pick up Linux and the needed bits as I go, as I'd like to get XBMC working with all the little mods I've seen and like.

Guess I'll have to find guides for all your features:
* A complete solution for installing XBMC on Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04)
* Installs all necessary Nvidia drivers for silky smooth playback using VDPAU
* SVN XBMC packages for bleeding edge features
* Sets up and configures FTP and Samba (Windows File Sharing) at your givens paths
* Automatically install/update skins such as Auriga/Hitched/Showmix/Temmi2000/Alaska
* Configures your Asrock ION 330 for HDMI sound
* One-click installation of the Xbox DVD and Generic Infrared Remote

If not, I will use your installer and admit defeat Wink

Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37