Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: A few questions about XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Firstly, hello. I'm new to this forum after much trawling. I have a few questions which I hope you might be able to help with;

We currently watch quite a lot of downloded content from various sources, and I also tend to rip most of my DVDs onto the PC. We watch freeview/dvd most of the time, and at some point in the near future I would like to get a blu-ray player.

I have a spare PC, which is a decent spec (3GHz, 4Gb RAM). I have a spare 256Mb GEForce card which I can also use in it. So, perhaps I should look at installing XBMC on it?

So my questions;

My local game are selling original XBoxes for £25. Would this be better suited than a PC?

Are they any links to suggested freeview PCI cards for use with XBMC, bearing in mind that I want to be able to watch/record at the same time?

Is it ok to connect the pc to the tv using the VGA connector on my graphics card, or would I need a card with HDMI in order to get 1080i. Im thinking about when I install a blu-ray player into the PC further down the line, and obviously want to get hi-def.

Are there any lists of which remote controls are supported by XBMC, and preferably some reviews?

Thank you so mcuh to all the people who have built and continue to support this brilliant application.... I cannot wait to get more involved with it.

Regards
David.
hamd01 Wrote:My local game are selling original XBoxes for £25. Would this be better suited than a PC?

XBOX isn't really upto playing native Hi Def material (see http://www.xbmc.org/wiki/?title=What_is_...n_it_Do%3F) and struggles with some of the heavier skins available today, so no it's not better suited. That said, they're very cheap if you want something for music or for the kids to use. You may find yourself wanting to spend few quid extra on the remote control (and associated IR dongle) if you do get an XBOX and you may also find that the stock fan sounds like a Harrier Jump Jet at take-off.
Thanks, sounds like I'll stick with the PC idea then. Which is good, as it means I dont have to spend £25 Smile

If anyone has any tips on the other questions that would be great.