Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Linux] ASRock 330 loves XBMC + Ubuntu! (And MythTV & boxee too!)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thought I'd make a video of what the ASRock 330 Nettop (Stock) is capable of. This is an XBMCbuntu build with Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) x86 32-bit and XBMC 9.04 PPA (*NOT* using SVN/bleeding edge).

Also demonstrated:

* 1080P & HDMI Audio
* Aeon Skin 0.91 (Still investigating Aeon Skin variants)
* MythTV Frontend w/VDPAU Patches for running 1080i & 720p OTA ATSC (U.S.)
* boxee alpha on Ubuntu

YouTube HD: ASRock 330 nVidia ION Nettop Ubuntu 9.04 XBMC Aeon Skin MythTV boxee MCEUSB VDPAU Testing HDMI

Cheers,
Kermee
Hi,

What about noise if placed near the TV after watching one hour of HD movie ?

JP
The noise doesn't bother me. The ASRock 330 is located inside an AV cabinet and the IR is extended via USB cable. From my seating distance, I can't even hear the fan. However, if you're closer, you might. I still consider it one of the quietest "actively cooled" HTPC's you can get/build out there.

Cheers,
Kermee
Did you say that you had mythtv working with the vdpau packages. I built mythtv and I still get choppy unwatchable playback. while XBMC plays fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,

P
pfly Wrote:Did you say that you had mythtv working with the vdpau packages. I built mythtv and I still get choppy unwatchable playback. while XBMC plays fine. Do you have any suggestions?

Cheers,

P

Yes, I use Jean-Yves Avenard's repository (Ubuntu) for it. That way you don't have to patch and compile MythTV yourself.

http://www.avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repo...itory.html

Make sure you follow the directions there and then read this:

http://www.avenard.org/media/MythTV_%26_...VDPAU.html

Good luck! JYA's MythTV packages with 0.21-fixes + VDPAU backport works great with the ASRock 330.

Cheers,
Kermee
I am using the avenard repository and I get ok playback but I noticed that my cpu utilization was through the roof, almost 100% of one CPU for just the mythfrontend. I know that the nvidia drivers are loaded. Did you play around with the playback settings I have them set like so:
< W: 1920 H: 720, decoder: VDPAU, renderer: VDPAU, Deinterlacer: Advanced 2X

>= W: 0 H: 720, decoder: VDPAU, renderer: VDPAU, Deinterlacer: Temporal 2X

I am playing with it just wanted to see if you had any insight. The playback is almost there, it just stutters every once in a while.

Thanks,

P
One more thing Kermee, when I get a pause the myth front end spews out the error:

NVP: prebuffering pause

I will try to look that one up.

P
I have this same box and I've run XBMC for a couple months on it. It's been great. I can't hear the fan on this little machine unless I am within 3 feet of it. It's pretty quiet.

Just recently I wanted to use HDMI audio. Ubuntu is playing audio through the HDMI without issue, but XBMC will not. It's a real bummer. Kermee, if you had to do something special to get it running, please divulge that information. I am really hoping I can get rid of my analog autio.

cheers
Nice set up. :cool2:I'm essentially trying to do the same thing right now minus the asrock although it is on my wish list now. Once mythbuntu 9.10 goes final I'm going all in. Right now I'm just getting my feet wet with mythtv.
Got a couple questions for you though.
You're getting all those channels from clear qam? If so that's so much better then just local channels. I was under the impression that most channels (I know it varies by region/provider) are encrypted.
Also have you tried the mythbox script?
Kermee Wrote:Thought I'd make a video of what the ASRock 330 Nettop (Stock) is capable of. This is an XBMCbuntu build with Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) x86 32-bit and XBMC 9.04 PPA (*NOT* using SVN/bleeding edge).

Also demonstrated:

* 1080P & HDMI Audio
* Aeon Skin 0.91 (Still investigating Aeon Skin variants)
* MythTV Frontend w/VDPAU Patches for running 1080i & 720p OTA ATSC (U.S.)
* boxee alpha on Ubuntu

YouTube HD: ASRock 330 nVidia ION Nettop Ubuntu 9.04 XBMC Aeon Skin MythTV boxee MCEUSB VDPAU Testing HDMI

Cheers,
Kermee

This is fantastic. I have one of these boxes (Asrock ION 330) and am looking at doing the exact same setup with MythTV and XBMC (but minus the boxee). Is there any chance that you would consider giving a complete step-by-step to someone who is completely clueless with Linux?
Hi Kermee,

what tv tuner did you use, like which brand and model...was it it a tuner card or usb tuner

please let me know, thanks
<<<<<<<<bump>>>>>>>>