Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SMB or UPnP for streaming to XBMC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live network storage where I have all my media files. It can do both SMB and UPnP (DNLA). Tell me (still a n00b) which would be recommendable way to acces it from XBMC? Is there any diffrence by any point of view: is one or the other faster, more reliable, less resource taking etc.?
use smb. upnp only shares the media files so you can't do things like local thumbs/fanart.
cokekola Wrote:I have a Buffalo Linkstation Live network storage where I have all my media files. It can do both SMB and UPnP (DNLA). Tell me (still a n00b) which would be recommendable way to acces it from XBMC? Is there any diffrence by any point of view: is one or the other faster, more reliable, less resource taking etc.?

How do you like the linkstation live? Have you had any trouble playing movies from it? I'm debating getting one and would like to know if you like it.

Thanks!
I've had the a LinkStation Live 500Gb for 6 month now, and have been very happy about it. No problems streaming both music and movies (SD).

The DLNA part is not much good though, but using smb and XBMC is working great.

The web interface is straight forward to use, and there is added bonuses in the torrent client, and automatic powersave modes.

Regards
Mike
Using a Buffalo nas linkstation live 1Tb with Twonky that shares my files.

Got problems using SMB (samba) in XBMC i lose my connection after a couple minutes,with the message invalid computer name.

It automatically reconnects after 30sec to XBMC but when you are watching a movie this break is not appreciated.

If i use the UPnP there is no connection problems but then i can't see all my files (All my movies are .rar )

Why is the UPnP stable and not the SMB is there a setting to fix my problem.