Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Ubuntu VS XBMC Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have just got myself the ASRock ION 330, and wanted to know a few things.
I basically just want to use the ASRock to play my HD material (via HDMI > AVR), that's it.

Is one easier to set up than the other (I am basically a Linux noob)?

Is one easier to update - drivers, XBMC builds, XBMC skins etc...?

Is one more stable than the other?

Anything you would like to add? Huh
If you're planning on changing anything then use a regular Ubuntu install. If you plan on installing XBMC and using it, then use XBMC Live.
Maxim Wrote:If you're planning on changing anything then use a regular Ubuntu install. If you plan on installing XBMC and using it, then use XBMC Live.

What do you mean by "changing anything"?

XBMC will be the only thing I will be installing, as I have no need for PVR or flash (youtube) type features.
C'mon guys, any reason to go one over the other?
well I go for ubuntu+xbmc in my setup but that is just because i use my htpc for occasional browsing and tvshows torrent downloading.

My advice is that if you use only xbmc then go for the xbmclive install, much less problems.

regards,
MdMa Wrote:C'mon guys, any reason to go one over the other?

c'mon guy, use the search button. This exact question is asked at least once a week.
althekiller Wrote:c'mon guy, use the search button. This exact question is asked at least once a week.

I hate to be rude althekiller, but I browse the forums a lot and every time I see one of your posts it is either highly condescending or informative.

Should you just not leave the smart remarks out, if ppls stupidity really bothers you - don't reply.

I only say this because time and time again I see you scathing someone. You would only need to look at your statistics and posts to see ppl bother you easily. I guess not everyone is as smart as you - you are one of the developers after all.

Just wanted to say my peace, because as much as laziness/stupidity bothers you, rudeness irks me.
althekiller Wrote:c'mon guy, use the search button. This exact question is asked at least once a week.

I don't mind this sort of answer, as long as it warranted.

To be honest I hadn't actually searched for this question/answer before I made the thread, something I don't normally do.

But since you posted that I thought I should have a search.
Now using the keywords "live ubuntu" revealed only one other thread (similar to mine) in the first three pages, which go back one month.

So to say that this gets asked once per week is a little overboard, unless those threads get pushed back because no more post are made in them.

This is the thread I was referring to, which really gives no infomation as to why I should go one over the other, just YOU saying I would be an idiot if I didn't go for a full Ubuntu install.... great info Eek
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ive+ubuntu
Quote:What do you mean by "changing anything"?

Install Live and if you are happy, fine. but if you want change anything go for ubuntu + xbmc.

Anything is anything. Upgrading graphical drivers, install firefox. Partitioning the harddisk. Any customization.
vikjon0 Wrote:Install Live and if you are happy, fine. but if you want change anything go for ubuntu + xbmc.

Anything is anything. Upgrading graphical drivers, install firefox. Partitioning the harddisk. Any customization.

Hmm, I do at least like to upgrade a driver, I guess a full Ubuntu install it is then.
A happy customer :-)

EDIT: Does Ubuntu 9.04 let you run things at startup like windows does? So that it's possible for xbmc to launch immediately as you're into ubuntu.
Yes
MdMa Wrote:I don't mind this sort of answer, as long as it warranted.

But since you posted that I thought I should have a search.
Now using the keywords "live ubuntu" revealed only one other thread (similar to mine) in the first three pages, which go back one month.

If that is your effort at a search.. you need to do better :-) but still..

my $0.02 is full ubuntu + xbmc, easier to upgrade the drivers more importantly its easer to modify and understand from a noob perspective. and you can use all the standard ubuntu resources for help and docs..

xbmclive is good starting step.. once you are comfortable with it. just backup your settings and then go for the full install.
manojav Wrote:If that is your effort at a search.. you need to do better :-) but still..

my $0.02 is full ubuntu + xbmc, easier to upgrade the drivers more importantly its easer to modify and understand from a noob perspective. and you can use all the standard ubuntu resources for help and docs..

xbmclive is good starting step.. once you are comfortable with it. just backup your settings and then go for the full install.

The point I was trying to make is that a similar thread is not created once per week.

I am a Linux noob, having only ever installed Red Hat many years ago, only to use it for a couple of weeks.
So if a full Ubuntu install easier modify and understand, then a full install it shall be.
MacLeod_1980 Wrote:I hate to be rude althekiller, but I browse the forums a lot and every time I see one of your posts it is either highly condescending or informative.

Should you just not leave the smart remarks out, if ppls stupidity really bothers you - don't reply.

I only say this because time and time again I see you scathing someone. You would only need to look at your statistics and posts to see ppl bother you easily. I guess not everyone is as smart as you - you are one of the developers after all.

Just wanted to say my peace, because as much as laziness/stupidity bothers you, rudeness irks me.

The problem isn't the OPs forum post (well, it is but there are so many so they can't be stopped). The problem is the forum software. If, when posting a new thread, you instead got search replies to words matching your post and a question "Maybe these threads can answer your question?" it would be all good.

Sorry for being out of topic.
Pages: 1 2