Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: help With XBMC live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys i am new to this after 4 days reading most thinks on the web i still can not work this out i have just got a AsRock ION 330 Nettop PC i downloaded XBMC Live 9.04.1 with the newer NVIDIA drivers then burned it 2 CD booted my pc up and install it all on to my hard drive not usb all went fine pluged it in to my 50 inch Plasma TV via HDMI lead XBMC loded just fine went in to Settings-Video-player and set Render Method To VDPAU then went in to Settings-Appearance-Screen and it was set to [email protected] hz (full Screen) this makes all the text in the skins look out off focus i have tryed other stting and it still dose not work but when i play a film acrross my network it is jus t fine well its a great pic i have tyr to change my settings following the informatin i found

So there are a couple of ways to access the XBMC Live system, this one is not too difficult and can be done from windows by using a free + open source FTP client called Winscp, you will also need to download PuTTY.
Step 1) Start XBMC and go into settings/network and look at what its current IP address is & make a note of it.

Step 2) Start Putty and type in the IP address of XBMC to connect.
username and password = xbmc

Type in this command sudo passwd root this will prompt you to change the root password so pick xbmc as the password.

Close Putty. (The purpose of Putty is to give us root access so you can modify the files of XBMC remotely in Winscp otherwise it would not let you)

Step 3) Now start Winscp and in the hostname enter in the XBMC IP address
username = root password = xbmc

Once logged in find the /etc/ folder, go into it and then go into the /x11/ folder it should contain xorg.conf

Step 4) Applying the X cursor sleep fix.

Right click on xorg.conf and select edit, under Section Device add
Option "HWCursor" "false"

Step 5) Applying the 1080P @ 24Hz enable fix, after you have done this you must also reboot XBMC Live & go to settings->video->player and enable "adjust refresh rate". Now to to settings->appearance->screen and change resolution to 1920x1080@24Hz for it to take effect.

In xorg.conf under the section called Screen add
Option "DynamicTwinView" "false"

Click the floppy disk icon to save the changes and you can now close Winscp.

after a reboot i still did not have 1920x1080@24Hz enable in Settings-Appearance-Screen i went back in to the xorg.conf and the setting still had Option "DynamicTwinView" "false" there can any one help me as i still am getting text in the skins look out off focus and it looks very bad on a 50 inch plasma many thank G500 Nod
your request is not the clearest...what exactly do you want?
Do you think that having a picture with a lower refresh rate is better? No!
24Hz is the frequency most movies use, but XBMC can handle that switching during playback, and then back to 50 or 60 (or more) for the GUI.
So the first problem is: what resolution does your plasma support? I suppose it's not a full HD (1920x1080) unless you payed a LOT of money for it. Usually they're 1024x768 or 1280x720 or 1300something...
Have you tried the "auto" setting?

Other problem. What skin? When you're configuring, stay on PM3. All other skins are not as supported and as reliable as PM3.

A debug log would help, once we know what exactly you need.

last but not least: double check all your tv's settings/functions to make sure it's not a tv issue.
Hi Ricky i am new to all this so sorry if i was not so clear
ill try again i am using the skin PM3 my plasma is full HD (1920x1080) i have teyed the Auto setting 2
i now understand that the the refresh rate is fine but as i said when i look at the pm3 skin
all the text is out of focus it look blurry on all the menues sorry but i do not no how to do a debug log i have also try new HDMI leads and still the same problem
Like the other post says it sounds like it doing 1080i not 1080p so it will makes the screen look blury, look up your TV and make sure it is FULL HD i.e. 1080p not 1080i
hi Madmunky it is full HD it can do 1080i and 1080p its a Panasonic Viera TH-42PZ70B
it is just the text on the meue are blure not a crisp line looks ike the text had dobel vision
ask my mate to pop round and have a look just to see if i was going mad lol
i could really use some help, I've bought a Asrock Ion 330-BD and in order to use Cyberlink PowerDVD for BluRay playback, I need to dualboot (Windows XP Pro and XBMC Live).
I made the XBMC Live and installed to USB, but when starting XBMC, under network settings, there is no IP address, it's greyed out and I can't figure out whats wrong, I'd like to follow your guide, but in order to do so i need to get Putty working.

I hope some of you guys might know what the problem could be?

PS. I'm fairly new to linix/Ubuntu, but have managed installing Ubuntu on the box and installing XBMC, I just had to leave that setup for BluRay disc playback...