Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: network bandwidth utilization
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
first of all - thanks to anyone involved in building of this excellent product!!

i have one network bandwidth related issue:
i'm using wireless bridge (22mbit dlink dwl-810+/ap dwl-900ap+ combination) to link my xbox to the net at home. the max upload/download speed i'm able to get using this setup is aproximately 900 kbyte/s (7.2-7.5mbit/s).
i mentioned xbmc (build 03.dec) does not use the full available bandwidthwhen playing via xns (i'm using relax). it goes only up to ~ 450kbyte/s (3.6mbit/s) when cashing at the begining and sometimes during the playback i'm experiencing choppy playback (at fast schene changes) - obviously the bandwidth is not enough (i can see it hitting the top at 450kb/s exactly at these moments).

the wired thing is that the issue appears only when xbmc does playback from network - when i try to ftp to my xbox using xbmc's built-in ftp server - it goes to the max of my wireless (900kbs)

both ftp and playback can reach the max of my wireless using xbmp(layer).

any suggestions/ideas why this happens?

leo.
could just be that when streaming, the box not only has to transfer the file and write it to disk, it also has to decode and display it. try playing a file from the xbox hard drive and ftping another at the same time to see if it affects the ftp speed.
(rjm2k @ dec. 07 2003,17:09 Wrote:could just be that when streaming, the box not only has to transfer the file and write it to disk, it also has to decode and display it.  try playing a file from the xbox hard drive and ftping another at the same time to see if it affects the ftp speed.
if i start playing a file stright from xbox dvd drive and at the same time i upload another file to the xbox hard drive - everything is fine - transfer reaches the max speed of the wireless - so decoding is not the issue.
and actually this is out of question, because xbmp does not have this bandwidht-half-utilization effect - only xbmc encounters it.

leo