Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: imdb and movies splitted in two files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all.

First time posted here so be gentle Wink
I found xbox recently and immediatly bought new pc for this purpose add my hdds with movies/series/music and need some help with organizing it.
Well I named every folder with movie by its name and year (IMDB likewise)
( Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) )
and files inside it named always movie.extension (movie.avi movie.srt movie.jpg)

I dont know what is best practice when I have movies that are split in two files.

Currently I have thos movies in separate folders named like "Four Weddings and a Funeral Part1" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral Part2"
but as I see this dont work well with imdb scanning.

How to organize movies like that on hdd to have imdb scanning working properly.

(I preffered use it through folder names not filenames)

On that topic if you have advice how to organize best series and music on hdd to work best with xbmc my ears are wide open. (That's next task after thos splitted movies)

thanks in advance, Danilo
Put them into one dir, XBMC will do the rest for you (stacking).
So I will have "Four Weddings and a Funeral" folder and movie1.avi movie2.avi movie1.srt and movie2.srt in it?

It change my conception a little bit because I have to change filenames but if thats best way I will change it.
tnx for help
Change? You already have movie-part1.avi and movie-part2.avi. Those will get stacked.
No I dont.
I have folders "Four Weddings and a Funeral Part1" and "Four Weddings and a Funeral Part2"
and inside that i have movie.avi and movie.srt in each folder.

I prefer manipulating with folder names instead of filenames because I have my own system with symbolic links to folders...

I also have some code that change my filenames to movie.* so I can easily rename stuff downloaded/copied.
If I have in same folder two avi files and two subtitle I cant automate this easily Sad
I have to chage that code to not touch folder with more than one movies in it...
I don't think XBMC is setup to stack folders. I'm not sure there is any other way to organize them and still have them work with XBMC, one movie per folder (multiple parts or not).
Right, XBMC won't stack directories. But having the directory "Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)" with movie1.avi and movie2.avi will work.

TBH, it's up to you to organize your media and I have absolutely no idea what exactly the problem is. You might also want to check the online manual (Video Database).
Hangon, let me get this right - are you naming all of your movies movie.avi?

ie do you have:

The Matrix
-movie.avi
-movie.srt

or are you using:

The Matrix
-The Matrix.avi
-The Matrix.srt
Latter. Only thing you need is a proper movie folder name and a checked option "use foldernames for lookup" in scraper settings. Plus stackable files, otherwise you will end up with two entries of that movie in library mode.
yes I am using:

The Matrix (1999)
-movie.avi
-movie.srt

and not

The Matrix (1999)
-The Matrix.avi
-The Matrix.srt

Problem for me is that I already have quite a movies that are in the
folders

The Matrix (1999) Part1
-movie.avi
-movie.srt

and

The Matrix (1999) Part2
-movie.avi
-movie.srt

and it is quite a job to change all that to merge and rename folders files.

I also have some of my own code that do some stuff on movie.avi movie.srt...
All that I have to change if I do merge rename of those folders.

What will be best for me if I can keep the same structure of folders for movies and to say xbmc that ignore Part1 Part2 Part3 words in folder names when search in imdb.

So instead of searching for "The Matrix (1999) Part2"
xbmc shoud search for "The Matrix (1999)"

Thanks for helping me guys.
This would end up searching and adding the title twice for each 2cd movie. There's nothing XBMC can do to support your fs layout, sorry.
I dont mind that duplicity.
I have that same duplicity now with movies that are in one file.
I have same movie in two folders disk1/Matrix disk2/Matrix
wher disk1/Matrix have movie.avi in it and disk2/Matrix have movie.mkv in it (dont ask me why Smile )
Duplicity is bad ofcourse bat in this it is better solution for me.

But can I just say XBMC to ignore Part1 and Part2 words in folder names while searching.
If I can do that I will live with duplicity ( untill the time I can solve that...)
in that case see <cleanstrings>. advancedsettings.xml
cleanstrings
That sound promising Smile
Tried it first chance I got