Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: clean install, jaunty or karmic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello,

I am building a new system with an Asus AT3N7A-I board (Atom + ION) and I plan on following the XBMCbuntu guide on the wiki.

My question is, however, given that Karmic is pretty near to it's official release whether I should go with Karmic or go for the safe option, Jaunty?

Thanks,
Jon
Jaunty......
Jaunty, 32bit
okie dokie, thanks. i was considering karmic because it comes with a newer version of alsa which i've read it's advisable to upgrade manually in jaunty, but i'm happy enough to do just that.
Please let me know how this goes. I have the same board and can not get audio through HDMI consistently working. (I thought I finally conquered it yesterday but after boot up today it was silent again). I have upgraded ALSA to 1.0.21.

I installed Jaunty then XBMC from svn. Constantly searching forums for ideas. When I finally had it working yesterday, I had audio settings in XBMC set to "plughw:0,3".

My other issues are bluetooth and oversampling but they are much lower on the priority list.
Just adding my 2 cents (although worth 1 cent really since I'm using different hardware), I did a full install of Karmic and XBMC from SVN and it works great, haven't had any problems other than disabling HD audio in the BIOS to get HDMI audio to work. Karmic works fine for me, however most debs of xbmc, addons etc are currently all made for Jaunty.

Seoras.
If you end up with audio issues...the guidance at the end of the following website helped (for now). Otherwise, I'd still like to know how the minimal install works out. Thinking about doing that.

[HTML]http://gagravarr.livejournal.com/137571.html[/HTML]
Why on earth anyone would even consider deploying an alpha (beta by now?) OS is beyond me.
Karmic is beta. It runs fine here. I'd still go for Jaunty tho.
althekiller Wrote:Why on earth anyone would even consider deploying an alpha (beta by now?) OS is beyond me.
Because Jaunty is pretty broken for some hardware, intel graphics cards for example
I went with Jaunty in the end. All working very nicely over VGA with analogue sound at the moment, but I'm having some problems with HDMI...

eschrody Wrote:Please let me know how this goes. I have the same board and can not get audio through HDMI consistently working. (I thought I finally conquered it yesterday but after boot up today it was silent again). I have upgraded ALSA to 1.0.21.

I'm actually having trouble getting HDMI working at all (for both video and audio). I'm new to HDMI, so the problem could be any one of a number of things.

I was wondering whether you could paste your xorg.conf, please, in case for some reason the my nvidia generated one doesn't have the necessary bits for HDMI?

Oh, and I went for the 185 nvidia drivers, rather than the 190 testing ones.

Thanks
You need to compile a new ALSA, then set your device to plug:hdmi in XBMC settings.

Here is a guide how to compile a new one, http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/2009/0...unty-9-04/
But I can't get an HDMI signal on my TV whatsoever. I'm aware that I need to upgrade ALSA to get audio over HDMI working, but I thought I'd get video at least?
Oh you don't have video Big Grin now that's another matter. Can't help you there, my ION board just instantly worked with HDMI video.
topfs2 Wrote:Oh you don't have video Big Grin now that's another matter. Can't help you there, my ION board just instantly worked with HDMI video.

Would you mind pasting your xorg.conf here so that I can compare it to mine when I'm home? I'm not sure whether it's my configuration or the TV that's the problem...

Thanks
Pages: 1 2