Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: analog & digital audio
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a receiver with two zones & I want to be able to pump music from my XBMC to the second zone (out in my yard). But, my amp will only push analog signals to the second zone. So, I've hooked up an hdmi cable to the amp on the "aux" channel and then in turn feeds my TV. Then, I ran a headphone cable to the CD input on the AMP which I'll use for the second zone. This setup worked perfectly on my old popcorn hour.

But, I can't seem to get XBMC to push out both analog & digital audio.

Any suggestions?
I have more or less the same problem but the good news is it can work.

I build a 2x 14 led vu meter in my htpc case because I was bored ;-) XBMC is set to digital, and the output device to “default”

This way I have analog out , for my vu meter and digital out to my receiver. BUT it works complete random. Sometimes it works and sometimes the digital out stops working, and the only way to get sound back is put iec951 as the output device.

I still do not know why or how this is happening. Sometimes I have nav sounds true iec951 but most of the time not. One of the big mystery’s

But it must be possible.
Wow, I hope the dev's see this and give it a bit of attention. I realize you & I have "odd" situations, but...

thanks for the info.
Well, I've done some playing with this and I can't seem to come up with a set of options that work.

If I set the output device to "hdmi" then everything works great for zone 1 of my receiver but nothing goes to zone 2. If I set output device to "default" then I can play music (mp3 & AAC files) to both zones but I don't get any of my DTS or AC3 passthroughs on videos (to either zones).

so, it seems like I have to leave the output device to "hdmi" most of the time and then manually edit it to "default" when I want to use zone 2.

While this is pretty straight forward it is a tonne of clicking to get changes in place and it seems like something that shouldn't be required.

Any thoughts from the dev's?

Thanks in advance.
i had the same problems on my ion-zotac.
a friend said: set it to ALSA and intall Jack.
well... jack didnt work.

so i set all ouput to OSS

in xbmc it is "default" and the passthrough is "iec951".
it works.
stereo on headphone-out (i have a fm-transmitter hooked on it) and full-surround (dts, ac3, DD) through spdif to the amp.
i'm not using sound over hdmi (and have turned it OFF in the bios).

with Pulse i wasn't able to skip songs (and audio worked sometimes ... and sometimes it didnt.)
analog audio was a little bit too "dumb", or low or flat... just not "correct".
with ALSA the sound was brilliant, but not possible on both outputs.
it was analog OR digital. or nothing.
setting it to OSS works in my case.
I thought I'd give this another bump since it's been six months.

I'd sure love to not have to jump in and out of sets every time I want to listen to music outside!

thanks in advance to anyone whose solved these and wants to share.