Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Read a string from a external file/web location... New feature?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have created a new info label command that will enable you to display text in a label from a external source. The command would look like this...

<control type="label">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>1000</width>
<height>90</height>
<font>Default</font>
<align>center</align>
<info>readstring( http://www.teamblackbolt.co.uk/a.txt)</info>
</control>

And thus you can use it in your own skins to display text like news, latest bug fixes, or even make your own skin related rss like scroller.

The reason for me wanting it was so in Ellipsis we could display a page off the guide which can be brought up pressing the m key, then scrolling across to the team bb tab. This will then show latest site news item and various other skin related info.

I truely think this would make XBMC a even better experience than it already is. Please leave your comments to to say what you think of this feature....

If feedback is postitive for this feature hopefully after tweaking my current code we can get this feature added to XBMC.
Great idea.

+1 for adding.
Isn't this possible with a script?
I think it better being built-in rather than relying on a script - just look at the problems users have experienced with the Latest Added script* - plus users don't have to download something else.

*Speaking of which wasn't this going to be built-in also?
it would be nice if something like this was possible, to notify users of skin updates:

<control type="label">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>500</width>
<height>50</height>
<label>New Version Available!</label>
<visible>!stringcompare($INFO[readstring(http://www.foo.net/version.txt)],2.01)</visible>
</control>
ronie Wrote:it would be nice if something like this was possible, to notify users of skin updates:

<control type="label">
<posx>0</posx>
<posy>0</posy>
<width>500</width>
<height>50</height>
<label>New Version Available!</label>
<visible>!stringcompare($INFO[readstring(http://www.foo.net/version.txt)],2.01)</visible>
</control>

Yes ive had that idea in mind also and should be fully capable in doing that.
For updates, better solutions are available IMO. That should be a built-in XBMC feature - the mythical "addons" manager.

Under the assumption that updates are available automatically (including changelogs etc.) what other use does this have?

Cheers,
Jonathan
There are more things that this can be used for probably quite a few Ive not thought of yet Big Grin. It could be custom information from a weather service. Output from some file thats been run.

But i do think its general main use will be loosly news orientated, i.e bug fixes, skin/site news such as new themes available, new version available, maybe also something like announcing competition results etc.
didn't we learn anything from the horror that is aeon? skin side features are slow, will be buggy due to limitation of the tools at hand and is not something we want to encourage.
spiff Wrote:didn't we learn anything from the horror that is aeon? skin side features are slow, will be buggy due to limitation of the tools at hand and is not something we want to encourage.

Such a shame that this feature idea has met such a brick wall. Well at least it can still be achieved with python.

I think this is such a good idea for skinners and coders and even for the end users, to be able to have updates and information live and up to the minute, rather than having to go online and actively seek out the information. XBMC could deliver update news, updated textures, code directly to the user. Skinners could update people on when a new version is released, or just let the user know that an issue they're experiencing will be solved shortly. It could make using XBMC feel more alive and more connected.

As it happens, it seems no-one at Team XBMC really likes this idea and I can't help but feel the icey cold shoulder. During my last project for XBMC, MC360, Jezz_X working with Team XBMC helped add many additions to the skinning engine in XBMC and some of them I wonder how we ever lived without. It appears the time for these skinner suggested innovations is over.

So as its been said, we can do this with the super solid, oh so stable python. Huh
whatever, take the oh-i'm-so-offended-and-the-victim-of-your-cruelness-routine, i don't care one bit.
spiff Wrote:whatever, take the oh-i'm-so-offended-and-the-victim-of-your-cruelness-routine, i don't care one bit.

Woah, never expected that from Team XBMC. I love XBMC and want to do nothing but make it better, I spend a lot of free time developing skins for the front end, because I enjoy it, because Team XBMC were such nice guys.

I just want everyone to know that this was never aggressive from our side of things, not once, but you just showed that all the negativity and hostility over anything we do has come from your side.

No need to be a jerk, after all we are only trying to help you guys with our ideas. Whats the fucking point anymore...
hostility? i told you straight up why i think this is a bad idea.
Quote:didn't we learn anything from the horror that is aeon? skin side features are slow, will be buggy due to limitation of the tools at hand and is not something we want to encourage.

you however make this into a general thing about us not listening to/wanting new features

Quote:As it happens, it seems no-one at Team XBMC really likes this idea and I can't help but feel the icey cold shoulder. During my last project for XBMC, MC360, Jezz_X working with Team XBMC helped add many additions to the skinning engine in XBMC and some of them I wonder how we ever lived without. It appears the time for these skinner suggested innovations is over.

who's negative and hostile again? you can't seem to stand the fact that i criticize the feature you suggest.
Blackbolt Wrote:Woah, never expected that from Team XBMC...

And Team XBMC didn't give you that, spiff did that why under his nick on the forum it says "Grumpy Bastard Developer" the views of one are not always the views of the whole team people are allowed personal opinions
and also, as always, ^^^ but that i assUme any reflected person can grasp.
Pages: 1 2 3