Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX] Error starting XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am having difficutly getting XBMC to run on my newly installed Ubuntu system.
uname -a
Linux XBMC 2.6.28-15-generic #52-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 9 10:49:34 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

I have read the necessary FAQ and appear to meet the minimum requirements for OpenGL that are listed that is glxinfo states that direct rendering works, and glxgears runs just fine. The faq is bit light on troubleshooting from here on in as such I am at a loss where to go next to identify the problem.

The last error message posted in xbmc.log is:
ERROR: GLX Error: No compatible framebuffers found

The full xbmc.log file is available at:
link_deleted
the full glxinfo output is available at:
link_deleted

Thanks.

-Rowan
w0mble Wrote:ERROR: GLX Error: No compatible framebuffers found

After some more investigation it turns out that I have OpenGL Version 1.2 with a minimum of version 2.0 being required.

Perhaps someone could be so kind as to update the following section of the Wiki as this would of saved me some grief because the way I read this paragraph it implies that if the wheels in glxgears are turning then my OpenGL is configured correctly for XBMC.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Lin...GL_support

I suggest it reads:

==== BEGIN ====

Once you have your drivers in place, you need to make sure that OpenGL is properly configured. Verify the version of OpenGL using the following command:
# glxinfo | grep "GLX version:"

The GLX version must be at least 2.0.

Run the following command to verify that direct rendering is enabled:
# glxinfo | grep -i direct

The result should be:
direct rendering: Yes

If the result is "No" it means that the display driver have not been properly configured. Also, you can run the command glxgears and you should see the wheels turning smoothly.

==== END ====

Although the Wiki says that anyone can edit it, it appears that only special people are able to do such things.
what graphics card are you using? usually this is related to the wrong driver/module.