Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: VDPAU vs Quad-core CPU?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm pretty disappointed in VDPAU. When it's not impossibly dark (making video unviewable), it's making my GPU so rocket hot that the state is trying to give me grant money to investigate this newly created star that popped up in my living room.

This being said, what socket 775 based quad-core CPUs are folks using, and what gives you the most bang for your buck?
ignore - missed that you were on Live.
I dont think ffmpeg utilizes more than two cores so a quad core is overkill. Get yourself any c2d that can clock at 3ghz or more.

cheers.
Tarantulas Wrote:I'm pretty disappointed in VDPAU. When it's not impossibly dark (making video unviewable), it's making my GPU so rocket hot that the state is trying to give me grant money to investigate this newly created star that popped up in my living room.

This being said, what socket 775 based quad-core CPUs are folks using, and what gives you the most bang for your buck?

Hahaha, VDPAU is doing all the video decode in the GPU, of course the GPU will get hot, but it's better than a 3GHz+ with CPU fans screaming. If VDPAU is making you video impossibly dark, you have something very wrong somewhere. Works like a champ here.
Works fine here too! Its either a rocket hot GPU or a rocket hot CPU.
Jester did compile xbmc with ffmpeg-mt but if I recall things were made worse and that was that. I don't believe the ffmpeg-mt branch is mature yet.

Quote:you might want to look at what you're doing.
Thats what she said.
so let me get one thing straight. You're gpu is doing ALLL THE WORK that a processor would normally do, and you want it to stay cool to the touch? hmm.

All joking aside, my tiny TINY TINY little atom 330 board with ion gpu can churn through 20Mbit 1080p movies, and my m350 case barely gets warm to the touch....not to mention VDPAU is working solidly, except for that one font corruption issue that only pops up maybe once a month (OSD text gets garbled), but thats easy enough to work around.

you might want to look at what you're doing.
GPU's are supposed to get hot temps, above 90C is normal. IMHO people tend to overreact at temperatures, hell HDDs have a higher failure rate when they are too cold.

I have a huge problem with dark video but thats my crappy TV that uses some kind of auto contrast shit. So check your TV, might be some contrast thingy or something like that.
spozen Wrote:GPU's are supposed to get hot temps, above 90C is normal.

Uhhhh...much warmer than that and you start getting to where the doping agents lose their properties. So RC time constants become, uhm...non-constant, critical path lengths change, timing gets skewed and you people get your "random" errors. I wouldn't recommend operating at those types of temperatures
My TV is a Sony 40XBR4. It does indeed do some manner of auto-contrast thing, but to my knowledge, there is no way to turn it off.

What I've noticed is that with VDPAU is that none of the video settings that let you control the brightness/contrast seem to actually do anything... switch the mode to "software" and those controls work perfectly.

I completely understand the rocket hot GPU vs. CPU thing... however my GPU is integrated (nVidia 9300) and is only cooled with a passive heatsink / casefan combo... but it still gets warm. My CPU is a e4300... which could take some overclocking I suppose.

The only reason I said Quad-core is because people used to wax on and on about it being the only CPU that could handle the "killa sample"
spozen Wrote:GPU's are supposed to get hot temps, above 90C is normal. IMHO people tend to overreact at temperatures, hell HDDs have a higher failure rate when they are too cold.

Funny, my fanless card never goes over 65C.
And try running those hard drives hot all the time and see how long they last. :p

In the past I have FRIED hardware by being lax about temperature.
I've also done this with cars.... but that's another story
Tarantulas Wrote:... however my GPU is integrated (nVidia 9300)

Tarantulus, how hot are we talking? What board do you have?

have you tried reseating and reapplying thermal grease to the gpu? I have a zotac 9300 mini itx board and had issues with the temp going above 90 degrees. Did a rough job of cleaning and applied some cheapo thermal paste I got from a local store and reseated and temps top out at 70 now, still hot but everything seems to work fine.

I've bought some high quality thermal paste and cleaning products to do a proper job at some point but whilst everything's working i may just leave it.

Apparently this is a common problem with this board.
ASUS P5N7A-VM

I likely have nothing to worry about... Asus makes decent enough stuff. Without real temperature measurements it's all anecdotal anyway.

I think an e8500 would be beefy enough to handle the killa sample.
You'll want to pull a recent svn and checkout 'studio colour correction', will fix the darkness i reckon.
motd2k Wrote:You'll want to pull a recent svn and checkout 'studio colour correction', will fix the darkness i reckon.

The only reason I haven't done this already is because at once point there was some problem where all the audio channels (over HDMI and possibly optical) got "shifted" to where you didn't get audio properly on 5.1 mixed sources.

I'm sure this has been resolved long ago, I've just been afraid to break my rig trying to upgrade to fix something else only to end up with this showstopping problem.
You can always go back, backup your .xbmc folder before installing the updated version :-)
Pages: 1 2