Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Importing TV Series DVDs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question about how XBMC handles TV Shows.

I have a quite a few TV shows which are just avi files, which XBMC handles just fine. However, I have some DVD box sets, which I would also like to import into XBMC.

Generally I convert my DVD movies to ISO files, which works really well.

Take for example Band Of Brothers which is on 7 DVDs and has 10 episodes. What would be the best way of importing this DVD into my library? Obviously I want to avoid converting individual episodes into AVI files as I want to keep the 5:1 soundtrack etc.

Many thanks.
Managed to answer my own question. Apparantly I need to rip to ISO;

TVShowName.S01E01-02-03-04.SomethingWhatever.iso

So if the DVD is season 1, and has 5 episodes on the disc, it would be named;

TVShowName.S01E01-02-03-04-05.SomethingWhatever.iso
hamd01 Wrote:Obviously I want to avoid converting individual episodes into AVI files as I want to keep the 5:1 soundtrack etc.

Many thanks.

There are plenty of containers available (including .avi) that support AC3 audio (i.e. your 5.1 soundtrack) so converting episodes into individual files wouldn't degrade your surround-sound experience. I use Handbrake (on a Mac), but I'm sure you'll find plenty of conversion tools for your platform of choice that will do the same for you.
episode bookmarks can be also useful:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52055
Fergus Wrote:There are plenty of containers available (including .avi) that support AC3 audio (i.e. your 5.1 soundtrack) so converting episodes into individual files wouldn't degrade your surround-sound experience. I use Handbrake (on a Mac), but I'm sure you'll find plenty of conversion tools for your platform of choice that will do the same for you.

Thanks for that.... but I also dont really want to loose the menu system, extras or subtitles. Converting a dvd to an iso takes around 20 minutes, so Im quite happy with that process. Just need to crack on with doing it now!

Thanks for the advice.
olympia Wrote:episode bookmarks can be also useful:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=52055

That sounds like a plan, I'll give that a go.