Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: OS Install vs Live CD... Why do you pick one over the other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So Im a long time XBMC user. I have used it on several non-PC devices, like the original Xbox and AppleTV. But never really installed it on one of my old workstations. Not sure why really.

Anyways, I actually got around to it this past weekend and did a Live CD harddrive install. It took all of 20 mins and I was up and running. So far no driver issues and the playback quality is good. Granted I only have it hooked up to an LCD monitor and not my TV yet. But anyways it seems to be running fine. But my real question is what benefits, and shortcomings, are there to installing it in Windows or Linux as supposed to just installing the Live CD to my hard drive like I did? I plan on the unit being just a HTPC that will only be used with XBMC and my entertainment unit. So is there security, performance, upgrade ability, anything really? I just would like to know before I go out and spend time and money on some new hardware to find out that I have we build it from one version to another. Thanks!
Anyone have any thoughts?
codeblue2k Wrote:So Im a long time XBMC user. I have used it on several non-PC devices, like the original Xbox and AppleTV. But never really installed it on one of my old workstations. Not sure why really.

Anyways, I actually got around to it this past weekend and did a Live CD harddrive install. It took all of 20 mins and I was up and running. So far no driver issues and the playback quality is good. Granted I only have it hooked up to an LCD monitor and not my TV yet. But anyways it seems to be running fine. But my real question is what benefits, and shortcomings, are there to installing it in Windows or Linux as supposed to just installing the Live CD to my hard drive like I did? I plan on the unit being just a HTPC that will only be used with XBMC and my entertainment unit. So is there security, performance, upgrade ability, anything really? I just would like to know before I go out and spend time and money on some new hardware to find out that I have we build it from one version to another. Thanks!

Never heard anyones thoughts so I thought I would revive the thread